Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:why do most give Wimberly a pass? Our defense has been bad for years. I am definitely not saying that Gill is the guy at all, but it's clear our coaching is not good. Even from the offensive side of the ball, Dailey is not consistent at all. From my standpoint this was a must win to get us to a .500 season that we let slip away. I understand everyone's frustrations, but not coming to games is certainly not the answer. This is our maiden voyage into FBS football and we all knew there were going to be bumps in the road. I am trusting that Ian Mc Caw will make the right decisions with the program.
If TG didn't have two more years left on his contract, I am positive he would have made the right decision last fall. Not worried at all about Ian, I am confident he sees what we all see.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Is there anyone here that still thinks Gill is the guy to take this program where we want to go? lol
Now that we have slept on it............................... ANYONE??????????????????????

Gill for life. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by flameshaw on October 7th, 2018, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ewglenn
TH Spangler wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:This was a 1-4 NMSU team that was averaging 16 points per game.
And that win came against UTEP which would probably be in last place in the Big Sky Conference.
UTEP took 5-1 UNT to the wire last night. 27-24 F

As far as attendance, I did some game surfing yesterday and was surprised by the poor attendance at all the G5 games.
They also lost to 3-3 Big Sky member Northern Arizona 30-10. You can cherry pick all you want.
By Ewglenn
flameshaw wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Is there anyone here still thinks Gill is the guy to take this program where we want to go? lol
Now that we have slept on it............................... ANYONE??????????????????????

Gill for life. :lol: :lol:
I had a solid 8 hours of sleep and I am still disgusted.
By Jonathan Carone
We are still having trouble tackling yet we still don’t tackle live in practice. Because that’s the type of non-adjustments we make.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Read damiens story today. Gill is totally clueless. He blamed the loss on the 2 turnovers essentially haha. Seriously. He mentioned tackling one time briefly and all the other quotes were about good effort and turning the ball over. And we just didnt come out on top.

Look im no dailey fan but the defense is pure garbage. At least the offense can do things in spots. The defense is just embarassing. Its high school level.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Read damiens story today. Gill is totally clueless. He blamed the loss on the 2 turnovers essentially haha. Seriously. He mentioned tackling one time briefly and all the other quotes were about good effort and turning the ball over. And we just didnt come out on top.

Look im no dailey fan but the defense is pure garbage. At least the offense can do things in spots. The defense is just embarassing. Its high school level.
No question the 2 turnovers hurt, but that really isn´t a horrible number for a game where you ran 90 plays and the QB was under constant pressure and was sacked 5 times. Our defense did not force ANY and gave up well over 500 yards.
By sigmo7
Registration Days Posts
They should have took my advice last year when I said cut em loose and take our lumps over the next few years with a new staff instead of now it being a 5 year turnaround.
By PojoPops
Liberty was what I thought you all were. Great offense, suspect defense. I had commented earlier that we were pretty good at getting after the QB (5 sacks) and had found success with our RB. We lived up to that.

I think the biggest surprise for all was that our offense finally came alive. We lost all our best skill position players last year and struggled early. It took turning to our third string QB and third string RB. But we are finally finding some success on offense.

Last year we lit up the scoreboard similar to you guys. We returned 4 of 5 linemen and several very good WR’s. Now that we’ve found our QB and RB, I anticipate our offense being much better the rest of the year.

Our attendance is a head scratcher. I didn’t see any kids in the student section. We averaged 20k plus over our first two home games.

I am not looking forward to round two. You all can score like a video game, you will be at home and you will have revenge on the mind. Not a good recipe for us.
By Ewglenn
PojoPops wrote:Liberty was what I thought you all were. Great offense, suspect defense. I had commented earlier that we were pretty good at getting after the QB (5 sacks) and had found success with our RB. We lived up to that.

I think the biggest surprise for all was that our offense finally came alive. We lost all our best skill position players last year and struggled early. It took turning to our third string QB and third string RB. But we are finally finding some success on offense.

Last year we lit up the scoreboard similar to you guys. We returned 4 of 5 linemen and several very good WR’s. Now that we’ve found our QB and RB, I anticipate our offense being much better the rest of the year.

Our attendance is a head scratcher. I didn’t see any kids in the student section. We averaged 20k plus over our first two home games.

I am not looking forward to round two. You all can score like a video game, you will be at home and you will have revenge on the mind. Not a good recipe for us.
Our defense has a way of making offenses come alive.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
This thread is a hoot to read. Nothing like armchair coaches to speculate on our weaknesses, our coach’s spirituality, etc. One thing to remember, and it hasn’t been pointed out yet- we are playing FBS teams like a good FCS team with decent FCS talent.
By cruzan_flame13
I mean Mike Stoops just lost his job as DC for the Sooners just because they lost against Texas. It isn’t hard to let folks go especially when they are others available. Just saying.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
maybe in a given situation, someone needs to be let go. But it should never be “easy”.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t think people actually questioned Gill’s spirituality. Someone asked why people don’t like his catch phrase and I said it felt disingenuous. I never said it actually was disingenuous or that his spirituality wasn’t real.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think people actually questioned Gill’s spirituality. Someone asked why people don’t like his catch phrase and I said it felt disingenuous. I never said it actually was disingenuous or that his spirituality wasn’t real.
To you it’s a catch phrase
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Now thats the best one yet rogers. So what was the excuse last year when his defense was torched by a what 3rd year program while throwing for 7 yards. 3rd year fcs program. Or all the other putrid performances like indiana state or jacksonville state or a crappy csu team. Ill wait.

So your actually making the point about the defense. Why should we have expected to be any better against fbs teams. Shocker, were even worse and getting worse each game.
By Jonathan Carone
Catchphrase - noun
a well-known sentence or phrase, typically one that is associated with a particular famous person

Gill is famous to Liberty fans.
The phrase is well known.
We associate the phrase with Turner Gill.

It’s a catchphrase. I’m not being negative when I call it what it actually is.
By sigmo7
Registration Days Posts
Now now John quit bringing facts into this, haven't you learned anything in the past few weeks. If someone says something it has to be true!!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Now thats the best one yet rogers. So what was the excuse last year when his defense was torched by a what 3rd year program while throwing for 7 yards. 3rd year fcs program. Or all the other putrid performances like indiana state or jacksonville state or a crappy csu team. Ill wait.

So your actually making the point about the defense. Why should we have expected to be any better against fbs teams. Shocker, were even worse and getting worse each game.
Sorry... at this point, I'm not going to go ballistic about our team. If you have been around Liberty sports a while, you start to understand that this is a marathon as opposed to a sprint. I guess some folks get mad because they are heavily invested via their student debt. I started questioning the why of the whole program, and it gave me a different perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to struggle conversely with the amount of money that gets thrown at the program. Now I am not getting all spiritual as much as just observing; football certainly seems to be more important to the administration than anything else. Because of this, I find all these discussions pretty funny, especially when someone crows about how much money the school has and how we should throw it around like a bunch of tootsie rolls on Halloween.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think people actually questioned Gill’s spirituality. Someone asked why people don’t like his catch phrase and I said it felt disingenuous. I never said it actually was disingenuous or that his spirituality wasn’t real.
To you it’s a catch phrase
Actually its a hymn by Fanny Crosby (one of my favorites).
By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote:
jinxy wrote:Now thats the best one yet rogers. So what was the excuse last year when his defense was torched by a what 3rd year program while throwing for 7 yards. 3rd year fcs program. Or all the other putrid performances like indiana state or jacksonville state or a crappy csu team. Ill wait.

Sorry... at this point, I'm not going to go ballistic about our team. If you have been around Liberty sports a while, you start to understand that this is a marathon as opposed to a sprint. I guess some folks get mad because they are heavily invested via their student debt. I started questioning the why of the whole program, and it gave me a different perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to struggle conversely with the amount of money that gets thrown at the program. Now I am not getting all spiritual as much as just observing; football certainly seems to be more important to the administration than anything else. Because of this, I find all these discussions pretty funny, especially when someone crows about how much money the school has and how we should throw it around like a bunch of tootsie rolls on Halloween.
Well they (LU) sort of have to being taxed exempt an all.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Our offense is FBS ready. Our defense probably isn't Seminole District ready. One should not give up 49 points to a team averaging 16.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]