Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By PAFlame
I’m not sure what he was thinking or what he was trying to get across by using that word. Pretty sure an on-field call in a football game is in no way comparable to uh, you know, that word.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The article says the coach was suspended a week "without pay." How much money did that one word cost him? :dontgetit
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve heard tons of coaches in many sports use similar exaggeration to describe excessive contact upon a player. This cosch’s Mistake was doing so publicly, in the midst of the #metoo movement.

Ten years ago, I doubt this would’ve been such an issue. That’s the progress that has been made with this movement. Awareness and sensitivity.

The first thing I looked for was a picture of the coach to deduce his age. Just as I expected, gray-haired male. Hopefully the sensitivity training will do him some good.
By BigRed1
JK37 wrote:I’ve heard tons of coaches in many sports use similar exaggeration to describe excessive contact upon a player. This cosch’s Mistake was doing so publicly, in the midst of the #metoo movement.

Ten years ago, I doubt this would’ve been such an issue. That’s the progress that has been made with this movement. Awareness and sensitivity.

The first thing I looked for was a picture of the coach to deduce his age. Just as I expected, gray-haired male. Hopefully the sensitivity training will do him some good.
Even though I would agree that the coach should have used a better choice of words, I think the reaction to it is a bit extreme. The coach should have been aware that in this “Snowflake Generation” using the wrong words leads to extreme backlash. He should have known that those who call for awareness and sensitivity don’t practice the same. It troubles me that just because the man has gray hair you automatically labeled him as bad. I can assure you that all gray-haired men aren’t bad and insensitive. I don’t think having a knee-jerk reaction to everything is progress. But what do I know, I’m just a man with a few gray hairs on my head. Now if you will excuse me, I’m going to thumb through the Yellow Pages to see if there are any sensitivity classes in my area.
By Jonathan Carone
BigRed1 wrote: It troubles me that just because the man has gray hair you automatically labeled him as bad.
I don't see where he labeled him as bad. I see the gray haired statement being one that confirms he comes from a different generation where comments like that were norm.

I'm all for sensitivity and inclusion and all those things the "snowflake generation" you mention is about. But I also think a one-game suspension was a step too far. Fine him for the word but let him continue coaching.
By BigRed1
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BigRed1 wrote: It troubles me that just because the man has gray hair you automatically labeled him as bad.
I don't see where he labeled him as bad. I see the gray haired statement being one that confirms he comes from a different generation where comments like that were norm.

I'm all for sensitivity and inclusion and all those things the "snowflake generation" you mention is about. But I also think a one-game suspension was a step too far. Fine him for the word but let him continue coaching.
Do you honestly believe that the “Snowflake Generation” is about sensitivity and inclusion? I’ll give you the sensitivity part, but the inclusion part? According to a Brookings survey, 51 percent of students believe that it is just fine to shout down a speaker with whom they disagree and prevent them from presenting their views. Among left-leaning students, the number who believe it is ok to disrupt a speaker is 62 percent. Two out of ten college students believe that it is permissible for student group to use violence to prevent a controversial speaker from speaking. And the problem is not just on the left. Slightly more Republicans (22 percent) agreed with this sentiment than did Democrats (20 percent). Many have long suspected that Millennials are a generation of “snowflakes” afraid of words they disagree with. Now, sadly, we have the data to prove it. It seems that today’s college students, whose understanding of the First Amendment and commitment to free speech appears to be more in line with Antifa than the Founding Fathers.
Ronald Reagan famously said, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” We need to be careful before we go down this slippery slope of political correctness. I think we are witnessing a by-product of this unfold before us right now in Washington. We are seeing some attempting to prove guilt before innocence. That’s not the way the Founding Fathers intended our judicial system to work.
By Jonathan Carone
For the record, millennials aren’t in college anymore. By some standards, they haven’t been in college for a couple years.

That said, I agree with you about how it’s wrong to shout down people who disagree with you. Apparently 49% of the people surveyed did too. It’s hard to cast judgment on an entire group of people when a survey comes back 51/49.

To classify an entire generation as negative is just as agidt as someone saying old people don’t care about people’s feelings. Both of them are wrong and not true.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wow, talk about a mischaracterization of your parents/grandparents. I'll grant you the college tuition portion of the concept but the cheap houses idea is a total fallacy. Their generation placed a priority on home ownership and sacrificed in order to make it happen. Millennials and the generation to follow are often not willing to sacrifice their present life experience to future gratification. Yes, I am familiar with the burden of student debt on this generation. I am also aware of what it means to live beyond means. Most of the high income millennials that I work alongside are more than willing to pass on home ownership.

Rabbit trail forged!
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote:Wow, talk about a mischaracterization of your parents/grandparents. I'll grant you the college tuition portion of the concept but the cheap houses idea is a total fallacy. Their generation placed a priority on home ownership and sacrificed in order to make it happen. Millennials and the generation to follow are often not willing to sacrifice their present life experience to future gratification. Yes, I am familiar with the burden of student debt on this generation. I am also aware of what it means to live beyond means. Most of the high income millennials that I work alongside are more than willing to pass on home ownership.

Rabbit trail forged!
I'm just trying to instigate. Every generational cohort has always hated the ones that preceded and followed. I am blessed to be a Millennial and hate the one I'm in too!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Wow, talk about a mischaracterization of your parents/grandparents. I'll grant you the college tuition portion of the concept but the cheap houses idea is a total fallacy. Their generation placed a priority on home ownership and sacrificed in order to make it happen. Millennials and the generation to follow are often not willing to sacrifice their present life experience to future gratification. Yes, I am familiar with the burden of student debt on this generation. I am also aware of what it means to live beyond means. Most of the high income millennials that I work alongside are more than willing to pass on home ownership.

Rabbit trail forged!
Living beyond our means was very much taught to us by the generation who raised my generation. Combine that with the idea that college was the only path for success which was very much pushed on my generation by the previous generation gripped us in many ways. Obviously it is much more complicated than that but a lot of the issues people seem to nitpick from my generation and the generations that have followed could have been thwarted had the attitudes been a bit different. I am sure there will be flaws in my children's generation with how we choose to raise them but unlike the generation before me I will be willing to take responsibility for my shortcomings (which there will be). The pride of the older generation is a huge problem just as the arrogance of my generation is a problem. Each generation has their strengths and their weaknesses that much is true. I wish each generation would attempt a bit more to understand each other.

I fully admit I am pretty poor at that.
By LUDad
thepostman wrote:I guess he was a bit fired up...

https://sports.yahoo.com/umass-football ... 28850.html
My issue is that too many words are being hijacked from the english language under the guise of sensitivity. Most words have different meaning depending on their context. One should not be confined to merely one use of word.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm still amazed by dorm students who move in with their flat screen TVs, high tech computers, and Keurigs.

Back in my day, it was a clock radio or an 8-track tape player (or a 13-inch black & white TV), a typewriter, and a Mr. Coffee maker. And we worked part-time jobs rather than taking out student loans.
:oldhag
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:

Rabbit trail forged!
Living beyond our means was very much taught to us by the generation who raised my generation. Combine that with the idea that college was the only path for success which was very much pushed on my generation by the previous generation gripped us in many ways. Obviously it is much more complicated than that but a lot of the issues people seem to nitpick from my generation and the generations that have followed could have been thwarted had the attitudes been a bit different. I am sure there will be flaws in my children's generation with how we choose to raise them but unlike the generation before me I will be willing to take responsibility for my shortcomings (which there will be). The pride of the older generation is a huge problem just as the arrogance of my generation is a problem. Each generation has their strengths and their weaknesses that much is true. I wish each generation would attempt a bit more to understand each other.

I fully admit I am pretty poor at that.
Millennials didn't give themselves participation trophies.

Back to the topic. I tend to agree that it's absolutely inappropriate to equate the two in a press conference or interview. He could have just joked the cops on the field were held back from arresting the DB for assault and it would have carried a lot better. Once it becomes sexual assault, I do feel that there is a line that shouldn't get crossed. It's not a generational thing it's just a stupid thing. I have known men and women of all age groups say outlandish statements that garnered stares. Stupidity does not discriminate.

@LUDad

Don't be dense for the sake of being dense. Had he used Rape in that context of "The DBs could rape and pillage their WR corps and the referees wouldn't care" sure use the word rape. That wasn't what he meant.
By Jonathan Carone
Cider Jim wrote:And we worked part-time jobs rather than taking out student loans.
:oldhag
Students at public four-year institutions paid an average of $3,190 in tuition for the 1987-1988 school year, with prices adjusted to reflect 2017 dollars. Thirty years later, that average has risen to $9,970 for the 2017-2018 school year. That's a 213 percent increase.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/how-muc ... -2018.html

Working a part time job to pay for school in today's world is impossible.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: