Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I said this in the game thread but it bears repeating

While some folks here apparently want Gill to find his own way back to Lynchburg and clean out his desk there because a 42-10 halftime lead turned into a 52-43 sweat job, there is 1 important thing we did do and 1 important thing we did:

We didn't quit.
We DID win
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I´m quite frankly disgusted by some of the things that have been posted here following a gutsy win by our guys. I guess you expected NM to quit when they were down? This situation was totally different than the ODU game. They were at home, and had the huge advantage of being acclimated to the altitude. it got a little too close for comfort, but personally, I was fully expecting the Lobos to make a run, and guess what, they did. Really proud of how we hung on to win it.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
WOW! Some on this board are never satisfied. We beat an FBS team on the road on their homecoming that we were suppose to lose to. We now have our name out there in that area of the country. WE ARE LIBERTY!! Of course I'm frustrated but we still have predominantly FCS talent - that's a reality that gives me patience. I'll celebrate the win. To God be the glory :)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Thats a big win. While the second half wasnt pretty we did what needed to do to win a road fbs game. We will have to figure out how to better hydrate next week and we should beat nmsu from what ive seen but every week is new and different matchups.

That was a nice little reminder of just how good agg and buckshot are for those who dont appreciate them. Neither had great games the last 2 weeks but today was big time.

Defense did what they needed to do to win. Finally forced some turnovers and got some pressure. Nobody has a dominant d these days outside of bama but we have the pieces to compete. Our key is the offense to score and possess the ball. When they do our defense can do its thing. When they dont and we overextend them our depth is exposed.

Still like to see more from special teams. Alves did much better but our return games still are dreadful. We got bailed out one one in the first half that got called back by a penalty. We almost let nm recover 2 kicks. Were just so shaky in the return game. We need to actively target someone to come in and handle kick return duties. A juco or fbs transfer with some experience because whatever weve been doing is not working. Forgot we did get blocked kick. We do seem to good at that ha. Peart with the clutch kick as well. Lot of pressure on that kick.

The beauty of right now is that each time we win its a top 10 win. I would put this one in the top 10. Not bigger than baylor but in the same ballpark.
Last edited by jinxy on September 29th, 2018, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUDad
Who had us pegged for a 500 record at this point in time? If we pick up two wins from NMS and win our two FCS games, we are BOWL eligible our first season.
By Jonathan Carone
I’ve been out of pocket and just barely kept up with the game through some text messages. My night went like this:

Text 1: Holy crap. I just got the halftime score update and about choked on my dinner

Text 2: Lol now they are gonna blow it

Text 3: Well we prob win now

I know nothing of how we played or what sparked the New Mexico comeback. Here’s what I do know:

1) We won.

2) We did something on offense that allowed us to score a ton of points quickly.

3) We didn’t give the game away.

Emotions may be high for some. I get that. We’re fans. But at the end of the day, we won. We still have lots of questions - the same ones we’ve had for four years - but we won. Enjoy the win tonight. We can talk about the questions tomorrow.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Who had us pegged for a 500 record at this point in time? If we pick up two wins from NMS and win our two FCS games, we are BOWL eligible our first season.
Actually, we would need to win at least one more, since only one FCS win counts.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Not gonna lie ... this one was extra cool BECAUSE of the way we handled the final couple of minutes. Adversity is going to kick you in the teeth from time-to-time and I loved the way our guys handled it when it counted.

If you eyesight is as poor as mine ...

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We won a game on the road. That's awesome. I was busy during the 2nd half but people are going to get emotional during the game. It happens. I'm sure come tomorrow everybody will just be thankful we pulled off an FBS road win.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Fire Gill. (For those who want it to happen)
Impressed they didn’t fold.
By LUDad
oldflame wrote:
LUDad wrote:Who had us pegged for a 500 record at this point in time? If we pick up two wins from NMS and win our two FCS games, we are BOWL eligible our first season.
Actually, we would need to win at least one more, since only one FCS win counts.
Your wrong on that. Look at rule 2. EDIT: Look at it this way OF... Some teams are more eligible than others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility
Last edited by LUDad on September 29th, 2018, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By willflop
We tried to start running the ball in second half to save our defense, which at two yards per carry didn't work, so our defense wasn't exactly rested and we stopped scoring. Then came the cramp fest. Buckshot was out for two series, then I think all of our corners started dropping like flys. Hopefully the altitude was the main issue and not just the half time corrections.

They also lost their starting qb that was throwing pretty bad, and the backup seemed a lot better at burning us with the pass. They were probably fortunate that happened.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I'm glad they won, and my prediction of a seven-win season is still on track. As a fan, however, I think expressing some frustration at our streaky play is normal.
By tyndal23
Great win ! If we walked out of their playing awful for 4 quarters and stealing one based on a couple of fluke plays - it would still be a great 2k mile plus road win against a 7 point favorite. I think the real challenge is flying back in 6 days and winning another one as a favorite. This is why I would have loved to have replaced one of these with Nebraska - we play a half like that agains Huskers we win there also. The air travel / altitude is really going to show up next week and I will be very surprised to pull out a win against a worse team - just reality. It might be a great thing that we played poorly and cramped up 2nd half - coaches will be able to get them focused and really get them hydrated. We win next week it is a 7-5 season - we will beat Umass and NMST at home. 9 games isn’t out of our capability if we stay healthy. We have the horses to play with them all - ( regardless of jockies ). I like the fact we keep going to the run to stay balanced, but hit the edges - we don’t have to run up the gut every play - loved a tight end made a huge play - we really need to get that going so defenses cant hone in on our 3 bread and butter plays and sell out... Congrats team, LU, Staff - great win - proud of you. D - you played your butt off when it mattered - Special teams - what a great performance - Offense - keep your foot on the gas and keep the D off the field. Get ready for a dog fight next week - it is going to be an ugly slug fest testing your will to win at the end...
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Your wrong on that. Look at rule 2. EDIT: Look at it this way OF... Some teams are more eligible than others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility
Our first eligibility comes from rule 5. We don't qualify for rules 1-4 because we are transitioning. The NCAA will fill at large bowl spots with 1-4 then use us assuming we have 6 wins.

With the bowl tie in, the above rules are irrelevant. If Liberty reaches 6 wins AND there is a vacancy from either the American and Sunbelt then Liberty will play in December. But if both conferences can fill their slots, Liberty's going to have to hope there are slots available down at rule 5 for the at large spots.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
First, good win, not expected.
Two quarters of fury.
Giving up 580 yards on defense and almost 8 yards per play is horrible. On the positive side, we finally put some pressure on the QB and got a couple of turnovers.
From a person who has traveled over a million miles with one airline and close to that on others, travel related issues are way overrated. Especially with just a two hour time difference. Altitude is a fair argument. I wonder why we didn't leave a day earlier to adjust more effectively? Not sure that was an available option.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:First, good win, not expected.
Two quarters of fury.
Giving up 580 yards on defense and almost 8 yards per play is horrible. On the positive side, we finally put some pressure on the QB and got a couple of turnovers.
From a person who has traveled over a million miles with one airline and close to that on others, travel related issues are way overrated. Especially with just a two hour time difference. Altitude is a fair argument. I wonder why we didn't leave a day earlier to adjust more effectively? Not sure that was an available option.
From what I know about it, an extra day at altitude would not have been significant. It would take a week or more to make much difference, and even then the guys who live there year round would still have an advantage.

Not to nitpick, but Isaac Steele alone had a ¨couple¨of turnovers. The defense had 4, and it was the difference in the game.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I will be watching the O line depth and our running game next week. It has me a little worried that Damien tweeted the starters played almost exclusively. We lack a big back that can create his own hole and we need to be able to run the ball late in games. I thought the pass might open up the run but it didn't seem to yesterday. Of course, I couldn't see the game so maybe I missed something but this is a point of concern for me.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:I will be watching the O line depth and our running game next week. It has me a little worried that Damien tweeted the starters played almost exclusively. We lack a big back that can create his own hole and we need to be able to run the ball late in games. I thought the pass might open up the run but it didn't seem to yesterday. Of course, I couldn't see the game so maybe I missed something but this is a point of concern for me.
Most teams don´t substitute much in the OL. Timing and execution are more important than being fresh, and they use less energy than their DL counterparts do because they don´t have to chase down speedy runners and elusive QBs.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:First, good win, not expected.
Two quarters of fury.
From what I know about it, an extra day at altitude would not have been significant. It would take a week or more to make much difference, and even then the guys who live there year round would still have an advantage.

Not to nitpick, but Isaac Steele alone had a ¨couple¨of turnovers. The defense had 4, and it was the difference in the game.
I was at the hospital all day and night yesterday and was not able to listen to the entire game. Didn't realize we had 4 turnovers. That explains how we won the game while still giving up that much yardage. Not many teams win a game with 4 TO's.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Y'all are kidding about them having to travel back to the burg and back to Las Cruces Thursday or Friday? Didn't we have a back to back game in the Karcher era against UCF and USF when we stayed in FL the whole week?
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]