Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Question for those in the "cheap seats":

Who would win between Army and North Texas ?
From the free seats I would say Army. We ran the ball decently against UNT and Army is a run heavy team so I think they might control the ball enough to win. Would be a good game though.
By CCWMichael
Alrighty. I have searched like crazy for attendance records research according to game time. A big nothing burger but for basic attendance figures for the NCAA.
So, I did a quick unscientific review not accounting for variables such as opponent, home team record, weather, and so on.
Since 2014 we have had 15 home games 6 or later and 9 home games 3ish.
Difference in average attendance is in favor of the late start time by 595 fans.
Nothing to give me anything solid.
Assume a 4G fan increase.
Assume a 30-dollar ticket average is 120 thou per game. Six games would be a nice increase. 720 thousand for six home games.
What is best? Marketing and a slight return drop or change of game time.
Too many variables for me to research with any zeal. So, I proved nothing.
My presumption would be start time did not affect student attendance. So, from there a push to satisfy the consumer base is required. Not going six-sigma here but I would presume --- imagine --- dream that the liberty fan base is family oriented and would prefer earlier start times.
Time to e-mail game day questionnaires.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:Alrighty. I have searched like crazy for attendance records research according to game time. A big nothing burger but for basic attendance figures for the NCAA.
So, I did a quick unscientific review not accounting for variables such as opponent, home team record, weather, and so on.
Difference in average attendance is in favor of the late start time by 595 fans.
Assume a 30-dollar ticket average is 120 thou per game. Six games would be a nice increase. 720 thousand for six home games.
My presumption would be start time did not affect student attendance. So, from there a push to satisfy the consumer base is required. Not going six-sigma here but I would presume --- imagine --- dream that the liberty fan base is family oriented and would prefer earlier start times.
Even if we had the official reported attendance figures, those aren't always entirely accurate.

In addition, a more important variable (as it relates to home advantage an general atmosphere) would be the contribution of student attendance to game day atmosphere. How many non-students need to attend a game to make up for the energy of the students at a game? I'll take one loud student over two locals saying, "Down in front. Stop yelling."

It behooves the university to create the best game day atmosphere and home field advantage as possible. I'm going to guess that they have access to more metrics than you or I do and, based on those metrics, the timing decisions are made.
By CCWMichael
Yacht Rock wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:Alrighty. I have searched like crazy for attendance records research according to game time. A big nothing burger but for basic attendance figures for the NCAA.
Even if we had the official reported attendance figures, those aren't always entirely accurate.

In addition, a more important variable (as it relates to home advantage an general atmosphere) would be the contribution of student attendance to game day atmosphere. How many non-students need to attend a game to make up for the energy of the students at a game? I'll take one loud student over two locals saying, "Down in front. Stop yelling."

It behooves the university to create the best game day atmosphere and home field advantage as possible. I'm going to guess that they have access to more metrics than you or I do and, based on those metrics, the timing decisions are made.
+1
And, I have personally seen the stop yelling (at a Liberty game) and as an Astros fan I am disappointed in the fan that scolded the young girl on the last home stand ....
If it came across as I want students out I did not mean to imply sell out the student section.
Every school has a student section and it is invaluable. Maybe for us no curfew is a great motivator for increased student attendance?
How bout that retractable roof :P
But, increased sales and attendance does not hurt.
By Class of 20Something
I have been told on more than one occasion to sit down and stop being so loud. Feigning auditory issues and carrying on has gone well for me.

I have done my part and my nearly two year old daughter now gets loud when the defense is on the field.

What happened to our LU chant? Has it been lost with the shortened pregame festivities with the weather?
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:I have been told on more than one occasion to sit down and stop being so loud. Feigning auditory issues and carrying on has gone well for me.

I have done my part and my nearly two year old daughter now gets loud when the defense is on the field.

What happened to our LU chant? Has it been lost with the shortened pregame festivities with the weather?
I was presuming weather ..... I would be very, very disappointed if it was to be gone.
By LUOrange
Our pregame festivities have been lame to non-existent this year. The weather and LU's poor to lack of inclement weather planning maybe the culprit. I don't understand why it is so difficult to delay everything by 30 minute increments as necessary and to post them on LU's 100 Facebook and Twitter accounts. I was brutally honest in my "How was the game" email that I got after the ODU game. Funny that I didn't get one after the NTU game.

That said, the pregame festivities were awesome in 2014, even with the corny feminine guy running out and leading the chants. We should return to something like that, but it's time to change the intro song. Turbulence has long run its course.
By Class of 20Something
LUOrange wrote:Our pregame festivities have been lame to non-existent this year. The weather and LU's poor to lack of inclement weather planning maybe the culprit. I don't understand why it is so difficult to delay everything by 30 minute increments as necessary and to post them on LU's 100 Facebook and Twitter accounts. I was brutally honest in my "How was the game" email that I got after the ODU game. Funny that I didn't get one after the NTU game.

That said, the pregame festivities were awesome in 2014, even with the corny feminine guy running out and leading the chants. We should return to something like that, but it's time to change the intro song. Turbulence has long run its course.
Rise - Skillet
Fire it Up - Thousand Foot Krutch
Feel Invincible - Skillet
Boom - POD

Those are my nominations
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think Boom actually was part of the hype video one year...Ladies and Gentlemen" by Saliva should be our "Enter Sandman" though in my opinion
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Nothing will ever be anyone else’s Enter Sandman. Best entry in college football. And this from a devout VT hater.

But I get your point.
By CCWMichael
BJWilliams wrote:I think Boom actually was part of the hype video one year...Ladies and Gentlemen" by Saliva should be our "Enter Sandman" though in my opinion
+1

Naw, ALL IN
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Nothing will ever be anyone else’s Enter Sandman. Best entry in college football. And this from a devout VT hater.

But I get your point.
I grudgingly agree. That small school in Blacksburg has a phenomenal opening. But that spectacular institution in Morgantown has the best ending!
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:Nothing will ever be anyone else’s Enter Sandman. Best entry in college football. And this from a devout VT hater.

But I get your point.
I grudgingly agree. That small school in Blacksburg has a phenomenal opening. But that spectacular institution in Morgantown has the best ending!
Alcoholism, incest, and depression?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts

But I get your point.
Thanks. Having a song that is our quintessential entrance song would help with generating tradition. I mean anyone who is a college football fan knows "Enter Sandman" at VT, "Jump Around" at Wisconsin, "Hang on Sloopy" at Ohio State...why not have a song that is our tradition?
(Edit: yes i know the other two aren't entrance songs)
Last edited by BJWilliams on October 3rd, 2018, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

But I get your point.
Alcoholism, incest, and depression?
You’re thinking of West Virginia’s Junior College located in Huntington
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As true as that may be, everyone has games they are supposed to win but end up losing anyway. Not to say that we shouldn't win every game we are supposed to but i wouldn't classify it as a "tradition" IMO
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
That spectacular institution in Morgantown has the best ending!
Class of 20Something wrote:Alcoholism, incest, and depression?
20something has JOKES. :lol: :rofl
Last edited by Cider Jim on October 3rd, 2018, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I always thought U2's song Pride would be a great 3rd of 4th quarter media timeout stadium sing along type song.
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]