Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By UNT 90 Grad
walksports wrote:I was going to try and attend tonight's Seth Littrell Coaches Show as it was being held at a BBQ spot (Rudy's for you Texans in the building) across I-35 from where I stay at for work every week.

However, the parking lot was PACKED.

I did listen to it on the radio and they only really gave about the last five minutes to talking about this week's game with Liberty.

And I typed this (his comments) as quick as I could ....

QB is very good.
Defense is very solid.
They're real physical.
This will be the best opponent that we play all year. [Yes, he said that.]
Just ask Baylor. They beat Baylor.
They played a Conference USA opponent, (host interjected: Old Dominion) and beat them (52-10).
Very talented football team.

It'll be a challenge.

Host: Your kids know all about them? (Implying that there's not a lot out there on the Flames.) Do you show them the Baylor tape?
SL: They've seen it on tape.
SL: (We told them ...) You maybe haven't heard of Liberty ....
SL: When I was a coach at North Carolina ... (he made reference to being down to Liberty in the second half in his first year as an asst. for Fedora)
SL: I think the most important thing: it doesn't matter who we play ... (then he kept talking about their culture and philosophy)
Here is a recording of the show.
https://www.kntu.com/podcast/SLS-20180918.mp3
By UNT 90 Grad
Class of 20Something wrote:
GoMeanGreen wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Their QB is very good, but doesn't handle pressure well.
Can't say I agree with that at all. Handling pressure is what he does best. He is not much of a running threat but he is really good at using his feet to move around in the pocket and delivering the ball. If need be he'll take the hit to get the ball off. This recap of the UTSA game from last year shows that off:

[youtube]YUgRRxXlq7U[/youtube]

Where we really struggled on offense at Arkansas was drops. Several big drops. One in the endzone, where we had to settle for a FG, and two deep balls where the WR had beaten everyone deep and they dropped it. First time I've seen that all year.

We've had trouble running the ball all year, but had our best game against Arkansas. Instead of running back by committee, we fed one guy. Loren Easly isn't a speed burner, but he is a tough runner, maybe he is the solution now.

I'm digging this whole, opposing fans that just wanna talk football thing. Especially when they are as well spoken, knowledgeable, and bbcode savvy as yourself and UNT 90.
Feel free to come visit us at gomeangreen.com .
By LUDad
Just looking as some comparative scores to see just how strong NT may be:

NT 46 SMU 23
#17 TCU 42 SMU 12
#19 Michigan 45 SMU 20

So NT put up more points against SMU than two BCS ranked teams. What about defense? SMU did not score against NT until garbage time half-way through the 4th qty. I believe SMU had 14 yds of offense in 1st half.

Just saying, LU needs to bring their A game!
By Jonathan Carone
All I know about UNT is:

1) Their football team is pretty dang good.
2) Tobe Nwigwe is even better.
3) One of their former football players was an Olympic bobsledder.
By RedSpinPod
S3E4 |

Preview of North Texas with @MeanGreenNation, Buckshot talks about bye week and upcoming game, and new segment breaking down the Vegas Odds with FlameFans own , givemethemic Jared Brooks. Also Jon gives a top 5 list of teams to visit Williams Stadium.

To preview the list, #4 was 1990 Youngstown State that finished the regular season 11-0 coached by Jim Tressel.

http://www.aseaofred.com/redspin-podcas ... episode-4/

Thank you for listening.
By tyndal23
Spencer Jones who caught final TD against Baylor and transferred to Oklahoma is running scout team QB this week in preparation for OU/Army. Weird.
By GoMeanGreen
LUDad wrote:What about defense? SMU did not score against NT until garbage time half-way through the 4th qty. I believe SMU had 14 yds of offense in 1st half.

Jonathan Carone wrote: 2) Tobe Nwigwe is even better.
Tobe is the man. If you don't know, he was also an all conference linebacker for us before he moved to music.
By Jonathan Carone
GoMeanGreen wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: 2) Tobe Nwigwe is even better.
Tobe is the man. If you don't know, he was also an all conference linebacker for us before he moved to music.
Yep. Big fan of his. I met Johnny Quinn last week who was on that same team.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I do think buckshot is a better QB than any that NT has faced yet this year and I do think our receivers are the best group they have faced as well. However, no qb has completed more than 53% and as a team their D is only allowing 48% completion percentage. It is imperative that Buck at the least keeps to his average of 60% and I hope he re-duplicates his performance from the ODU game.
By GoMeanGreen
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I do think buckshot is a better QB than any that NT has faced yet this year and I do think our receivers are the best group they have faced as well.
No doubt on the QB side. Hogs have some really talented receivers, just no one to get them the ball. Liberty has the best passing game we've seen so far.

I know our offense gets all the headlines, but I am telling you the real story for us this year is how good our defense is. The defensive line especially. We have gotten a lot of pressure even when we only have the three down linemen rush. We also blitz a lot, and blitz from a lot of different positions and angles. I don't think you'll see a better defense until you play Auburn. Ten takeaways (#3 in the NCAA), Ejiya leads the country in tackles for loss, Hall and Brooks are tied for the lead in interceptions. #10 in the nation on 3rd down conversion defense.

If Calvert has time he can hurt us deep. Plan will be to make sure he doesn't get that time.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I echo everyone else on this thread - nice having knowledgeable, respectful posters from other schools. Would love to be able to think we will be where North Texas is now, in a few years. Team looks pretty good. I think this could be a HUGE opportunity for Buckshot to show everyone he can play at a high level against a great defense. Hope he puts on a show, because the only way we win is a 51-50 game...

I hope our fans bring it this weekend and show up loud and we have great weather this time. No rain or thunderstorms.

Where is NT flying in to?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
They took an A320 took Arkansas...no reason they wouldn't do the same a fly to LYH unless there is a weather issue.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
prototype wrote:
They took an A320 took Arkansas...no reason they wouldn't do the same a fly to LYH unless there is a weather issue.
I don't think an A320 can land in LYH. May have to go to Roanoke with that size plane. LYH accommodates "cigar" jets (40 seats?) as far as I know.
By Class of 20Something
Chippy wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
prototype wrote:
I don't think an A320 can land in LYH. May have to go to Roanoke with that size plane. LYH accommodates "cigar" jets (40 seats?) as far as I know.
The flames took an Airbus to Army
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
rogers3 wrote:[

Both the 737 and 727 (back in the Piedmont Airlines days) serviced Lynchburg at various times before they extended the runway. Trump flew in on a 757. 7100' can accommodate just about anything most football teams will need. Jax State flew to RKE, but that was due to weather. They departed from Lynchburg.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Chippy wrote:
rogers3 wrote:[

Both the 737 and 727 (back in the Piedmont Airlines days) serviced Lynchburg at various times before they extended the runway. Trump flew in on a 757. 7100' can accommodate just about anything most football teams will need. Jax State flew to RKE, but that was due to weather. They departed from Lynchburg.
ROA

Prediction: UNT will continue roll with win over Liberty
https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/predict ... 5d62b.html
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
ROA

Prediction: UNT will continue roll with win over Liberty
https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/predict ... 5d62b.html
What was I thinking!
By Class of 20Something
I'm not a man that enjoys moral victories, but I moreso like to have realistic expectations. Is restraining their offense to 44 or less and scoring more than Arkansas enough for a moral victory here?
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defeated […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]