Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
The emotion of yesterday's loss has worn off, so here's the question:

So how can we improve?

As a matter of housekeeping - don't just post a complaint you have. Try to have a solution with the complaint.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Play calling. Go hurry up offense, and get ball to play makers in space. No need to "establish the run". Lossen up defense and run will establish itself.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's a lot of broad statements bc...got anything a bit more specific?

AGG is gonna get a ton of attention from everybody going forward...i think lining BJ (Farrow) up with him can open up a few more targets and favorable matchups in the defense.

I wish that the TEs would step up a bit more in the passing game. That would open things up more for the receivers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m big on emotion on football. The whole team had it for ODU. Only the Defense started with it for Army. Can’t come out flat.
I’m starting to worry about chemistry on Offense as well. I know in years past the concern was that the QB would look for only on WR. I don’t know. Can’t put a finger on it, may be over thinking. Of course after the Baylor game last year I raised all sorts of red flags and was called crazy :)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Let me first say I reacted in-game yesterday completely out of emotion. And that’s is NEVER a good thing. I don’t want TG to be fired. I’m sorry. As long as he’s our coach, I want him to improve.

1. Stop blaming execution openly. Even if it’s the truth. Either be a little more specific about what execution was missed (and if that, be rare with it), or just take the blame. A coach’s job is to give praise and take blame.

2. Be more assertive/aggressive with play calling. I don’t mind being relatively balanced run/pass offensively. But getting down 21-0 is a problem. Let’s solve our problems with aggression. Running to keep DB’s guessing is fine.

3. How about a little praise for the players? It’s been curiously less and less lately. Just my perspective.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I’m big on emotion on football. The whole team had it for ODU. Only the Defense started with it for Army. Can’t come out flat.
I’m starting to worry about chemistry on Offense as well. I know in years past the concern was that the QB would look for only on WR. I don’t know. Can’t put a finger on it, may be over thinking. Of course after the Baylor game last year I raised all sorts of red flags and was called crazy :)
You know for the first time I noticed that too. Calvert wasnt making progressions. He looked at one receiver each throw and that’s who he threw it too. I’ve not seen him look over the whole field yet.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I’m big on emotion on football. The whole team had it for ODU. Only the Defense started with it for Army. Can’t come out flat.
You know for the first time I noticed that too. Calvert wasnt making progressions. He looked at one receiver each throw and that’s who he threw it too. I’ve not seen him look over the whole field yet.
Monken said the game plan was to get Calvert out of his comfort zone and put max pressure on him and not just let him sling the ball all over the field. It seemed to work. Getting behind 17-0 makes all QBs look fallible. We needed to score on our first possession. The TO on first possession was super critical. Personally I would like Calvert to run at least once a game - naked bootleg, QB draw, something otherwise we play 10 on 11. I know the risk with that but if it is a planned call . . . . . my 2 cents.
By Class of 20Something
Blaming execution to the media would be the same as a player blaming prep and play calling. It is a veiled way to shift blame. Gill has never had a good game plan for the option, I'm not buying that suddenly you had a good game plan that wasn't executed properly.

I think we need to ride the hot hand, whereever it may be. Our running game was fine in the first half then we kept forcing the ball to the receivers. Then we get hot receivers and RUN THE BALL ON 3RD AND 15 AND PUNT THE BALL AWAY. I'm never putting that blame on execution. Play calling once again went to what Gill wishes the team was and not to what they actually are.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Play calling. Go hurry up offense, and get ball to play makers in space. No need to "establish the run". Lossen up defense and run will establish itself.

Better passing and better running.

Got it.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]