Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
All things considerdd, two mistakes really changed the game. The fumble on the first drive when we were moving...and the slight overthrow that would have made it 24-21. But I still like Buckshot a lot. Just think, when he throws for "only" about 300 yards and 2 TDs, we consider it a "bad" day.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Whoever said something about officiating...I thought it was very good. Can’t remember a call with which I disagreed. Both ejections were legit. Fumbles were right, reviews were solid, chop blocks were accurate.

Good job, Zebras.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Whoever said something about officiating...I thought it was very good. Can’t remember a call with which I disagreed. Both ejections were legit. Fumbles were right, reviews were solid, chop blocks were accurate.

Good job, Zebras.
Agree 100%.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:All things considerdd, two mistakes really changed the game. The fumble on the first drive when we were moving...and the slight overthrow that would have made it 24-21. But I still like Buckshot a lot. Just think, when he throws for "only" about 300 yards and 2 TDs, we consider it a "bad" day.
We lost in the first half on a couple of misques. At that point your asking to much from your defence. I'm thankful for the rule change disallowing misdirection low blocks that have always been part of the TO. Officials were looking for it. Playing against that scheme you're lucky to bring everyone home without any blown out knees. Someone ask Gill if he'd like to see us play Army every year and he came pretty close to saying no. He said it was an honor to play the academies, but playing against the TO once in a year is dangerous.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
On the 2nd targeting call, the refs missed a "hold" on Army, that a sight impaired ref could have seen.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It wouldn’t have negated the targeting call. Still would’ve been an ejection.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
True, but I hope replay guys saw it and when refs review tape they see it. I not know how they missed it. It was directly in front of a ref.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Over the course of an entire game, the officiating crew will miss at least 10-12 calls. A number at that or
Less is considered a superb job. Most of us fans never realize what they miss.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Over the course of an entire game, the officiating crew will miss at least 10-12 calls. A number at that or
Not acceptable to ballcoach. When he officiates he never misses a call!
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Over the course of an entire game, the officiating crew will miss at least 10-12 calls. A number at that or
Officiating was spectacular yesterday. It’s easy to be upset over a blown call that could have helped us, I missed it if that happened. There was a blown call they missed that would have hurt us. We had a block in the back by AGG on a big 3rd down that they didn’t call. Let’s not split hairs, officials were great yesterday!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Now that you mentioned it, I recall the block in back by AGG, but it would have been a touchy call. He just touched him from behind. Hard to classify it as a block.

On a more positive note, at least we not get beat as bad as Albright. Mary Hardin-Baylor beat them 91-7.
By willflop
Time will tell. In sagarin, Duke is currently ranked 20th (83) and Army is now 68th (69.5). We got a taste of a legitimate mid-tear FBS team that didn't turn the ball over (despite some penalties).

Liberty got 11 possessions (2 scoring) to Army's 13 (6 scoring). We had two fumbles and an interception, so the score isn't surprising. If you don't count the interception as a 3 and out, at least we accomplished Gill's goal of only having one 3 and out. Maybe we need to add some additional goals next time.

Calvert was 51%. AGG was bottled up all day long, and I don't think they even had double coverage. There's no doubt he can catch the 50/50, but was he just not fast enough to beat the Army corner?

The way they were moving the ball on the first drive, I thought we were going to pull some quick scores like we did against ODU. Not sure what the deal was with all of our drives just stalling at the 50 yard line.

I'm looking forward to North Texas, currently ranked 83rd. They should be another legitimate FBS test without the triple option disclaimer that leaves you unsure where you really stand.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
I heard a couple of analyst before the season started that Duke was their dark horse team in the ACC, which I was suprised figuring how good the ACC was last year and Duke well being Duke. But seeing what FSU Miami and GT have done this year so far it's a possibility. That's why it was so hard to figure out this Army team after Duke dominated them last week
By willflop
jack_sparrow81 wrote:I heard a couple of analyst before the season started that Duke was their dark horse team in the ACC, which I was suprised figuring how good the ACC was last year and Duke well being Duke. But seeing what FSU Miami and GT have done this year so far it's a possibility. That's why it was so hard to figure out this Army team after Duke dominated them last week
I watched the replay of Army/Duke before we played them. It may just be me, but the fact that Duke won handily didn't encourage me. Sort of hard to describe, but it looked like Army moved the ball well against them, despite the score. It didn't look at all like Duke had them figured out completely, just enough to control the score along with the help of their five fumbles. Not saying Army will win 9 games, but maybe the drop off from their 17 team isn't as big as we thought.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:
jack_sparrow81 wrote:I heard a couple of analyst before the season started that Duke was their dark horse team in the ACC, which I was suprised figuring how good the ACC was last year and Duke well being Duke. But seeing what FSU Miami and GT have done this year so far it's a possibility. That's why it was so hard to figure out this Army team after Duke dominated them last week
I watched the replay of Army/Duke before we played them. It may just be me, but the fact that Duke won handily didn't encourage me. Sort of hard to describe, but it looked like Army moved the ball well against them, despite the score. It didn't look at all like Duke had them figured out completely, just enough to control the score along with the help of their five fumbles. Not saying Army will win 9 games, but maybe the drop off from their 17 team isn't as big as we thought.
Duke knew they had to stop the fullback, that was the key to the game. That is exactly what they did. Can't remember the exact figures, but I believe Duke allowed the fullback position to <100 yards. At one time during our game, the fullback position had gained over 252 yards. We didn't do the job on either side of the ball. With Army running only 82 plays, the defense wasn't significantly overworked. We just allowed them 6+ yards per play. That is RUNNING, not passing. You won't win many football games allowing that kind of yardage on the ground.
By willflop
Yea, I get the stats show they only ran it against Duke for 168 yards. It's hard to say how much their unforced fumbles caused and broke the flow. Either way, they still gained 18 first downs and possessed the ball for 36 minutes. That was what I meant.
By tyndal23
willflop wrote:Time will tell. In sagarin, Duke is currently ranked 20th (83) and Army is now 68th (69.5). We got a taste of a legitimate mid-tear FBS team that didn't turn the ball over (despite some penalties).

Liberty got 11 possessions (2 scoring) to Army's 13 (6 scoring). We had two fumbles and an interception, so the score isn't surprising. If you don't count the interception as a 3 and out, at least we accomplished Gill's goal of only having one 3 and out. Maybe we need to add some additional goals next time.

Calvert was 51%. AGG was bottled up all day long, and I don't think they even had double coverage. There's no doubt he can catch the 50/50, but was he just not fast enough to beat the Army corner?

The way they were moving the ball on the first drive, I thought we were going to pull some quick scores like we did against ODU. Not sure what the deal was with all of our drives just stalling at the 50 yard line.

I'm looking forward to North Texas, currently ranked 83rd. They should be another legitimate FBS test without the triple option disclaimer that leaves you unsure where you really stand.
I watched Army Duke game twice scouting them prior to LU - that corner is huge and real physical - he just jammed AGG up at line of scrimmage very well. I knew going in they were going to put him on AGG all day.
By LUDad
tyndal23 wrote:
willflop wrote:Time will tell. In sagarin, Duke is currently ranked 20th (83) and Army is now 68th (69.5). We got a taste of a legitimate mid-tear FBS team that didn't turn the ball over (despite some penalties).

I watched Army Duke game twice scouting them prior to LU - that corner is huge and real physical - he just jammed AGG up at line of scrimmage very well. I knew going in they were going to put him on AGG all day.
Other FBS teams will look at the video and if they have a phyiscal corner they will jam him all game long. He could not get seperation. We will need to have adjustments ready if that is the case.

Edit** He also needs to work on his technique getting off the line so he doesn't hurt himself draftwise.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i could watch that punter make that hit all day long. i just want to put it on a loop. was hilarious.
By GoMeanGreen
North Texas has played Army three times since 2016, going 2-1. Blew them out once, but the other two were neck and neck. I think Army is down this year, Bradshaw ran that option to perfection. However, never be surprised if they have success running on you. They are playing an offense out of a time machine. For 99% of the college players, this is the first time they have ever had to prepare for the triple option. Same thing for the vast majority of coaches.

We always thought they played dirty, and that the refs always went easy on them because they were Army. They clearly targeted and concussed our #1 receiver and the refs did nothing about it. Plenty of late hits and illegal blocks.

In fact, the main reason we signed a deal with Liberty is because our coaching staff wanted out of the series and we bought them out.
By GoMeanGreen
RubberMallet wrote:i could watch that punter make that hit all day long. i just want to put it on a loop. was hilarious.

Dangerous way to tackle.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
GoMeanGreen wrote:North Texas has played Army three times since 2016, going 2-1. Blew them out once, but the other two were neck and neck. I think Army is down this year, Bradshaw ran that option to perfection. However, never be surprised if they have success running on you. They are playing an offense out of a time machine. For 99% of the college players, this is the first time they have ever had to prepare for the triple option. Same thing for the vast majority of coaches.

We always thought they played dirty, and that the refs always went easy on them because they were Army. They clearly targeted and concussed our #1 receiver and the refs did nothing about it. Plenty of late hits and illegal blocks.

In fact, the main reason we signed a deal with Liberty is because our coaching staff wanted out of the series and we bought them out.
The cut blocks Army uses so much were a point of emphasis for officials this year, and they were called for 3 or 4 against us. I can´t complain much about dirty play overall on their part after the 2 targeting calls (both legit) on us. We obviously need to coach some guys up on proper tackling technique. The offenders were a true Freshman and the punter, so I guess they get some benefit of the doubt for inexperience, but besides being dangerous (to the tackler as much as the ball carrier) the penalties and suspensions hurt the team and it reflects badly on the program. Need to get that fixed.
By CCWMichael
Sly Fox wrote:Aside from what occurred on the field, I am anxious to hear those who made the trip. My wife & I so wanted to be there this weekend. What was the Gameday experience like at USMA? I fully intend to be there on the next trip to West Point. Hopefully by then we will have figured out how to stop the Triple Option.
First and foremost our stadium rocks compared to theirs. Rather bland in the stadium experience. That being said touring the main chapel, cemetary, museum , many statues was cool for a history buff. The cadet walk on the plain before the game was cool,. They welcomed Liberty fans openly,of course a shout out to beat Liberty. They even played our fight song during the review of cadets. The sky diving from the helicopters was okay as well. We spent alot of time on post and everyone was very cordial. We hasd a tire come up with low air and a soldier took us to his house to fill our tire --- turns out he is an online Liberty student. The breads at the Flames tent was fantastic. Parking an dtravel to and from the stadium moved without flaw for us. I will say if anyone ever says they walked to and from school uphill both ways my first question will be if they attended the Point.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]