Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I don't think he went looking for attention in this case as he was asked about it by USA Today. And actually his response was pretty appropriate in my opinion.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
This is just a publicity stunt by Nike that will blow over. Can't we just ignore it? Why do we have to seek out controversy?! Just say nothing.
By Jonathan Carone
"I think if Nike really feels the same way I’m sure we can find a company that’s just as good to deal with."
I hate to break it to you Jerry, but every other shoe company wanted Kaepernick and support similar policies.

And you wanna know a quick way to tank our athletics program? Switch over to Russell Athletic or New Balance and watch the recruits disappear.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Well that took a bit longer than I expected but it isn't at all surprising. I am fairly certain they can't get out of the contract so by the time they can all of this will be forgotten.

Plus student athletes like nice uniforms. Nike makes nice stuff. Stop the madness.
By Class of 20Something
That was way more level headed and inquisitive than I am used to Jr displaying in those interviews. I think he really is giving Nike a chance to dig their own grave too. He essentially is telling us, "If we drop Nike, it is because they believe this."

On a side note. I, along with every other veteran on this board volunteered to serve to make sure morons have the right to make these idiotic protests. They are not free from consequence in their line of work, but they absolutely should be free of reprisal from our government.
By Jonathan Carone
A pastor friend of mine who works in a majority-black city just sent me this:
“Translation: "I haven't bothered to Google and actually watch a 2-minute ad. I haven't clarified anything personally with Nike executives. I haven't read our own contract with Nike. But I figured I'd give some off-the-cuff remarks to the USA Today so they can be distributed and used by every team in every living room of every prospective black athlete in America because I just figure I'll help make recruiting that much more difficult for our coaches." #FBSready”
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:A pastor friend of mine who works in a majority-black city just sent me this:
“Translation: "I haven't bothered to Google and actually watch a 2-minute ad. I haven't clarified anything personally with Nike executives. I haven't read our own contract with Nike. But I figured I'd give some off-the-cuff remarks to the USA Today so they can be distributed and used by every team in every living room of every prospective black athlete in America because I just figure I'll help make recruiting that much more difficult for our coaches." #FBSready”
Exactly This. There is NOTHING good that can come out in regards to making comments on the Kap situation. If you speak against Kap than you're racist. If you speak for him than you hate cops. "A truly wise person uses few words" - Proverbs 17:27
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If its proven that Nike is attacking law enforcement, every school in America should drop Nike.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:Nike isn't attacking law enforcement.
Exactly. Jr got us in headlines for a day, it's going to go away in 2 days and a few more people will know who Liberty is. I don't think he cares about making everyone like us, he wants to garner the support of everyone burning their Nikes.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Now he’s stumping it on Twitter. I’m not sure if marketing LU in a way that makes people hate us is the wisest move. But what do I know.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Nike isn't attacking law enforcement.
Yeah, I think it's a reflection of his lack of knowledge on the subject. You can tell he hasn't really discussed this with anyone outside of his own views.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, it would be hilarious for Nike to dump us as a customer and force us to do business with an inferior brand. LOL.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:There is NOTHING good that can come out in regards to making comments on the Kap situation. If you speak against Kap than you're racist. If you speak for him than you hate cops. "A truly wise person uses few words" - Proverbs 17:27
And this is the tipping point where we find ourselves in our society today. One cannot love someone without agreeing with everything they say and do. And, one also cannot express disagreement with another without being accused of hating or fearing that person. Don’t believe me? Answer this: why does the left attach -phobia or -ist or -ism to every opposing viewpoint. Call homosexuality wrong? You are labeled a homophobe.

I disagree that nothing good comes out of commenting. That’s what the world wants you to believe. They attack and vilify those who oppose, and if we shrink back from commenting - from standing up for our position - then our silence is their prize. And if it is a Biblical view we are expressing, truth is suppressed.

A wise man uses few words, but he doesn’t always remain completely silent.
By Jonathan Carone
If you want to drop Bible verses, we can always go with this one:

Do you see someone who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for them. - Proverbs 29:20

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. - Proverbs 18:2

To answer before listening-- that is folly and shame. - Proverbs 18:13

It's 100% obvious Jerry has not tried to understand or listen to anything about what Kaepernick has been trying to raise awareness on. Yes, he made mistakes along the way, but to deny a racial bias towards people of color from some law enforcement is to completely disregard the experience of 11% of his student body. He should try listening to some of them to understand their experience before airing his opinion.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Nike likes money. they won't do that.
Oh most certainly, and their investors would be terribly upset if they did and probably file a lawsuit.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: It's 100% obvious Jerry has not tried to understand or listen to anything about what Kaepernick has been trying to raise awareness on. Yes, he made mistakes along the way, but to deny a racial bias towards people of color from some law enforcement is to completely disregard the experience of 11% of his student body. He should try listening to some of them to understand their experience before airing his opinion.
This. I see Liberty students and alumni posting all day long about how they feel about this issue and it's not the same way that Jr. feels. If he's acting as a representative of the school, at the least he should listen to them and their perspective.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
And this is the tipping point where we find ourselves in our society today. One cannot love someone without agreeing with everything they say and do. And, one also cannot express disagreement with another without being accused of hating or fearing that person. Don’t believe me? Answer this: why does the left attach -phobia or -ist or -ism to every opposing viewpoint. Call homosexuality wrong? You are labeled a homophobe.

I disagree that nothing good comes out of commenting. That’s what the world wants you to believe. They attack and vilify those who oppose, and if we shrink back from commenting - from standing up for our position - then our silence is their prize. And if it is a Biblical view we are expressing, truth is suppressed.

A wise man uses few words, but he doesn’t always remain completely silent.
For what it's worth, standing or not standing for the national anthem isn't a Biblical truth.

I would say, showing grace and compassion to those who are choosing not to stand due to their perspective of injustices in society is a Biblical truth.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
I just got done talking with a fellow LU grad, whom I work with. We talked about the challenges of stopping the Army TO and praying that Jerry not say anything about the freaking Nike ad. I knew he would say something. I coach and work with many African-Americans who will only see these comments as hateful. I wish people regardless of how you feel about Kap would think about how public comments negatively affect the mission of our school. I just wish we could show more grace and love to a group of people that I care for. How can I steer any of my athletes to LU, when I have to worry about stuff like this? At least they were not as bad as I thought they would be. Please say no more.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
After reading the full comments I am going to give JFJR some credit. His full comments were very clear and supportive of law enforcement and narrow in questioning specific incidents of CK's protest that clearly crossed a line. While I wish we would remain silent on this complex issue, he was just answering a question and did it well.
Now just let that statement stand and have no further comment. Please?! No good can come of it.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]