Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:Interesting how this is becoming a thread on CK as opposed to a thread on LU and Nike. Should we switch the title to Colin Kaepernick? I mean I just posted some of his quotes but whether he knelt or not seems irrelevant to the Nike Deal discussion. He has been on Nike’s payroll since 2011 I believe. So, LU has been wearing Nike while Nike has been paying Kaep. The issue at hand IMO now becomes they reupped his contract and made him the face of a morjeting campaign. Thus with CK now being the Face of Nike, people and organizations have to weigh Association with that along with other factors. Not wanting to be a part of it doesn’t make you 1 step from Klan Membership and on the Heinrich Himmler Fan Club Membership List. And agreeing with it doesn’t come with its own personalized halo and bonus Woke Points.
But all hail Nike for making a splash.
I would like to add one thing to Purple's post. Seems that some are making this a race issue. I thought the article spoke to possible disrespect for law enforcement and the armed services. I didn't see any thing about race. What percent of both are represented by minority populations? I don't see where Jerry Falwell Jr's comments excluded the large minority population within law enforcement and the armed services.
By BigRed1
Purple Haize wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:Purple Haze
Didn’t say they were ‘reallyBlack” said they were African Americans. Is that “strong language “ now? If you want to find something to be offered by at least quote something that’s accurate.
Easy there skippy, I was being sarcastic.

You were asking how having African American coaches would be portrayed by those who thought leaving Nike meant LU didn’t care about Black Athletes. They would say “well, they aren’t really black people anyway”. Like say Clearance Thomas, Dr Ben Carson or basically any non liberal P.O.c
I’ve been on this board enough to know that you like to twist words of others to degrade what they say and then use the excuse of sarcasm. And by the way, does calling me skippy make you feel big?
By Jonathan Carone
LUDad wrote:I would like to add one thing to Purple's post. Seems that some are making this a race issue. I thought the article spoke to possible disrespect for law enforcement and the armed services. I didn't see any thing about race. What percent of both are represented by minority populations? I don't see where Jerry Falwell Jr's comments excluded the large minority population within law enforcement and the armed services.
To be clear - Jerry didn’t speak directly to race.

However, twisting the original protest against police brutality into a protest against law enforcement and the military is racially motivated. It has been since this entire thing started. That’s why the racial piece exists in this conversation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:Purple Haze
Didn’t say they were ‘reallyBlack” said they were African Americans. Is that “strong language “ now? If you want to find something to be offered by at least quote something that’s accurate.
Easy there skippy, I was being sarcastic.

You were asking how having African American coaches would be portrayed by those who thought leaving Nike meant LU didn’t care about Black Athletes. They would say “well, they aren’t really black people anyway”. Like say Clearance Thomas, Dr Ben Carson or basically any non liberal P.O.c
I’ve been on this board enough to know that you like to twist words of others to degrade what they say and then use the excuse of sarcasm. And by the way, does calling me skippy make you feel big?
Ok now I’m lost. I was responding to your question. I’m not seeing how I’m twisting words or degrading you in any way shape or form there.
I just called you skippy cause....I didn’t feel like saying lighten up Francis? So how about....relax man
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
LUDad wrote:I would like to add one thing to Purple's post. Seems that some are making this a race issue. I thought the article spoke to possible disrespect for law enforcement and the armed services. I didn't see any thing about race. What percent of both are represented by minority populations? I don't see where Jerry Falwell Jr's comments excluded the large minority population within law enforcement and the armed services.
To be clear - Jerry didn’t speak directly to race.

However, twisting the original protest against police brutality into a protest against law enforcement and the military is racially motivated. It has been since this entire thing started. That’s why the racial piece exists in this conversation.
No it is not
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It is racially motivated by some but not by all. This is where the right and the left really screw up in discussing this. Broad assumptions are made as to why people are for or why people are against anthem protests. It is why we never seem to make progress in this debate and the problem just gets worse.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:
To be clear - Jerry didn’t speak to race.
FIFY
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:It is racially motivated by some but not by all. This is where the right and the left really screw up in discussing this. Broad assumptions are made as to why people are for or why people are against anthem protests. It is why we never seem to make progress in this debate and the problem just gets worse.
A giant American Flag is unrolled onto the field.
A member of each Branch of the Service or from a particular branch with a Base/Camp nearbyforms a Color Guard and marches onto the field
The PA Announcer says
“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE RISE AND REMOVE YOUR HATS TO HONOR AMERICA AND THOSE WHO SUPPORT OUR FREEDOM AT HOME AND ABROAD.. Tonight the colors are presented by (insert Service or Member). “
Someone, possibly even a Servicemember (the dude I heard in AZ was incredible) sings the National Anthem
10’s of thousands of people stand
1 does not
I don’t see where Race plays into it. And I certainly see where people could reasonably believe the person kneeling was/is doing so out of disrespect for the people actually out on the field.
Where does race come in to play here?

It’s off topic which goes back to my prior post about changing the name of the thread. “But he SAID it’s not anti military...”. And down that rabbit hole we’d go
Last edited by Purple Haize on September 8th, 2018, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LUDad
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. #JustDoIt

It's ironic that his tag line "sacrificing everything" with Nike is likely worth millions of dollars a year.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
You may not like Jason Whitlock Jon, but in the video he calls them out. I think we have been looking the other way with Nike for a while. Asian slaves making shoes to sell to kids for $100-$200 :dontgetit
By Jonathan Carone
TH Spangler wrote:You may not like Jason Whitlock Jon, but in the video he calls them out. I think we have been looking the other way with Nike for a while. Asian slaves making shoes to sell to kids for $100-$200 :dontgetit
That’s actually a fair criticism of Nike. They’ve been getting called out on that a lot this week.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That is a big reason I think it is comical that people really think Nike is doing this to make a statement. They dont care about how people are treated. They care about money and they saw an opportunity with kap to get in good with their target demographic and took it. And the ad is really good. Genius marketing by them.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:You may not like Jason Whitlock Jon, but in the video he calls them out. I think we have been looking the other way with Nike for a while. Asian slaves making shoes to sell to kids for $100-$200 :dontgetit
That’s actually a fair criticism of Nike. They’ve been getting called out on that a lot this week.
But isn’t that the same as chowing CK as the Face in this way: smart business decision? Labor is cheaper there, so overhead is less. Tons of people who would otherwise purchase shoes from another company also strongly favor CK.

Just business decisions.

(devil’s advocate.)
By LUDad
Race could not have been implied in any way because the two institutions he sided with are full of minorities.

However, he did mention that perhaps Nike's position was merely a marketing ploy and was not meant as disrespect for police and armed forces and if that was the case he could understand. Why is this statement significant? A primary role of the head of university is to grow the school and raise income. A significant source of LU's profitable income is on line learning. I would imagine a chunk of this revenue stream is generated by these two instutions. Jerry Jr's statements are simply showing these two institutions which side he supports. I would say that he is doing his job.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Football players do not come lower than Klappernick . NFL should have suspended him first time he kneeled.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
And they appear as split on it as we are which has been my experience in hearing conversations at work
By LUDad
thepostman wrote:And they appear as split on it as we are which has been my experience in hearing conversations at work
But no one on that board saw it as a racial issue. It was all about disrespect for the flag and the instutions that supported it.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
"I think if Nike really feels the same way I’m sure we can find a company that’s just as good to deal with."
I hate to break it to you Jerry, but every other shoe company wanted Kaepernick and support similar policies.

And you wanna know a quick way to tank our athletics program? Switch over to Russell Athletic or New Balance and watch the recruits disappear.
I'm not sure Under Armour wouldn't be a better brand anyways to get the kids?
By Jonathan Carone
prototype wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
"I think if Nike really feels the same way I’m sure we can find a company that’s just as good to deal with."
I hate to break it to you Jerry, but every other shoe company wanted Kaepernick and support similar policies.

And you wanna know a quick way to tank our athletics program? Switch over to Russell Athletic or New Balance and watch the recruits disappear.
I'm not sure Under Armour wouldn't be a better brand anyways to get the kids?
5-10 years ago you would’ve been 100% right. They’ve fallen behind significantly, especially in urban settings. Their stock has been dropping in recent years along with their reputation.

That said, Under Armour’s corporate values align closer with Liberty’s. Their CEO has publicly supported Trump.

One thing I’ve learned since yesterday is that apparel contracts are disappearing. VT, Wake, Pitt, and Iowa State have all lost their head to toe contracts with them. Instead, the “deals” are simply to buy the product at wholesale prices.

If Liberty truly wanted to switch, Nike would let us walk.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
thepostman wrote:And they appear as split on it as we are which has been my experience in hearing conversations at work
But no one on that board saw it as a racial issue. It was all about disrespect for the flag and the instutions that supported it.
Not everybody who is upset about it are upset about it due to race but there are those out there who are upset anytime anybody of color protest in any form or fashion. It is a real thing and something that really happens. It doesn't matter if you want to admit it or not.

The problem is the liberal media tries to paint anybody who is against this protest as racist and the conservative media tries to paint anybody who supports it as anti-cop and anti-military. To me, both of these extreme representations are completely inaccurate and it is absolutely dividing us more on this issue than necessary because of ratings.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
LUDad wrote:
Not everybody who is upset about it are upset about it due to race but there are those out there who are upset anytime anybody of color protest in any form or fashion. It is a real thing and something that really happens. It doesn't matter if you want to admit it or not.

The problem is the liberal media tries to paint anybody who is against this protest as racist and the conservative media tries to paint anybody who supports it as anti-cop and anti-military. To me, both of these extreme representations are completely inaccurate and it is absolutely dividing us more on this issue than necessary because of ratings.
And there are those out there who are upset when anything happens to any person of color no matter if it was justified or not. There are outlier on both sides of the issue. That’s why I :roll: when I hear “some people” arguments. Let’s deal with the vast majority of people and leave the outliers to battle amongst themselves. Finding common ground is easier to do when you don’t feel beholden to the extremes on your ‘side’ of the issue.
By G5Fan in SLC
I have to support Falwell on this. Nike is parading itself as the go-to company for social justice advocacy, but if you went to one of their sweatshops in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, or Vietnam, most sensible people would have reservations about doing business with a company who creates athletic apparel for them at the expense of the literal sweat and blood of children as young as 12-years of age, working 16 hours a day 7 days a week, while getting paid under $4.00 US per day, which is only a fourth of the bare minimum living wage to survive for those people over there.

Is Nike the only apparel company getting rich off unfair labor practices? No, Adidas, Gildan, and others all do it. But these other companies aren't tooting their own horn claiming to be an advocate of social justice like Nike is. Nike is not fair-trade. A good, moral person can't advocate for double standards. Nike reminds me of the lukewarm Laodicean Church--neither hot nor cold. Just trying to be the ones everyone likes by living up to worldly standards.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
All schools should drop Nike, and go with Under Armor. Much better stuff.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Five years ago, I would’ve agreed ball coach. But as someone who deals with these co panties on the regular, Adidas is the growing one among the giant. And NIKE is still the standard, but their stuff just doesn’t last. UA now is having a similar issue, but doesn’t carry the brand Rec weight that Nike does, so they’re struggling.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]