Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I do agree his comments weren't really bad at all. Especially considering some of his past comments but he has to know by now all people will read are misleading headlines so it is best to remain silent.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
That's what worries me about Jerry being so vocal on this as well as some other things he chooses to be vocal about. There is already a segment of the world that hates us because we're Christian. We know that. That Bible said that would happen. No surprise there.

But what worries me are those people who don't know Christ, who don't know his love, the fact that heaven is multicultural, the fact that Jesus was not white. Someone who doesn't hate us and doesn't know Christ, sees Jerry considering dropping Nike because of the Ad, and next thing you know now this person makes assumptions about Christ.

Oh that man is the president of Liberty University. He must be racist. That school must be racist. Oh it's a christian school. Christians must be racist. Then before you know it this person has sworn off ever being a Christian or knowing Christ because of assumptions. It's just dangerous in my opinion. We should be known for our love of Christ over our love for Country.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Caught this earlier today?

[youtube]GZ7qTUfKzQE[/youtube]

What do you do?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, some of you surprise me. Stay silent because an issue is complex? C’mon man!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I dont think anybody said that. Nike did this to make money. Not to make some kind of statement. So therefore it isn't worth making a statement when you know nothing good will come from you talking to a media outlet about it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
PS to the people burning their expensive Nike stuff, the joke is on you. Nike already has your money
By BigRed1
JK37 wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:There is NOTHING good that can come out in regards to making comments on the Kap situation. If you speak against Kap than you're racist. If you speak for him than you hate cops. "A truly wise person uses few words" - Proverbs 17:27
And this is the tipping point where we find ourselves in our society today. One cannot love someone without agreeing with everything they say and do. And, one also cannot express disagreement with another without being accused of hating or fearing that person. Don’t believe me? Answer this: why does the left attach -phobia or -ist or -ism to every opposing viewpoint. Call homosexuality wrong? You are labeled a homophobe.

I disagree that nothing good comes out of commenting. That’s what the world wants you to believe. They attack and vilify those who oppose, and if we shrink back from commenting - from standing up for our position - then our silence is their prize. And if it is a Biblical view we are expressing, truth is suppressed.

A wise man uses few words, but he doesn’t always remain completely silent.
Totally agree JK37. Good post. Many on this board are reacting exactly as the leftist want. Run scared and hid. One post seems to suggested that no recruit would ever sign if we didn’t wear Nike! Really!! Here’s a fact. Something the “social warriors” won’t ever use. Just heard a guy on the radio this week giving statistics on shooting deaths by law enforcement last year. White deaths outnumbered black deaths. And the total number wasn’t some astronomical number as some would have us to believe. If Kap is the next MLK Jr. ,like I read one sportswriter suggested this week, let him donate all those millions Nike is giving him. I doubt that’s going to happen.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
If the church prioritizes standing for a national anthem over listening to other human beings’ concerns of injustice, then it’s not a church I’d want to be part of.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:If the church prioritizes standing for a national anthem over listening to other human beings’ concerns of injustice, then it’s not a church I’d want to be part of.
I noticed you mentioned this earlier once already, so I will address it. In a way, it’s exactly what I was talking about. I think it’s great an NFL player wanted to look outside the box for a way to bring awareness to an issue near and dear to him. The WAY in which he chose to do it is one with which I disagree.

I disagree with the format of the protest, not the issue or even the idea of peacefully protesting in general. Why is that so hard for many to see?

I also think it’s the right of every NFL owner to refuse to sign him. Is he talented enough to be at least a backup, if not a starter? NO DOUBT IN MY MIND! But I can also completely understand how a coach doesn’t want the media distraction, and an owner is worried about his bottom line taking a hit as fans object - which is totally an owner’s right as an owner. And if a group or all owners truly collided to cover each other and keep him out (hard to prove!), they are wrong and against the law. And they’ll end up paying damages for it.

But for saying this, as I did out loud several weeks ago, I’m a racist bigot? That’s just allowing emotion (anger) to blind your logic. And it’s thats rhetoric on both sides that eliminates informed, rational debate.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote: I wish we would remain silent on this complex issue, he was just answering a question and did it well.
Now just let that statement stand and have no further comment. Please?! No good can come of it.
This was where one of us suggested remaining silent because the issue is complex.

Liberty22 wrote:That's what worries me about Jerry being so vocal on this as well as some other things he chooses to be vocal about. There is already a segment of the world that hates us because we're Christian. We know that. That Bible said that would happen. No surprise there.

But what worries me are those people who don't know Christ, who don't know his love, the fact that heaven is multicultural, the fact that Jesus was not white. Someone who doesn't hate us and doesn't know Christ, sees Jerry considering dropping Nike because of the Ad, and next thing you know now this person makes assumptions about Christ.

Oh that man is the president of Liberty University. He must be racist. That school must be racist. Oh it's a christian school. Christians must be racist. Then before you know it this person has sworn off ever being a Christian or knowing Christ because of assumptions. It's just dangerous in my opinion. We should be known for our love of Christ over our love for Country.
And another suggesting we avoid it because it’s dangerous?

These are bad bases for avoiding comment on a topic.
By Jonathan Carone
JK - you are the outlier that unfortunately gets lumped with other conservatives who can’t wait to point out racial prejudice doesn’t exist and act like police officers can do no wrong.

It’s possible to think most police officers are good people and that there is a disproportionate amount of black men being shot.

It’s possible to think black on black crime is terrible and acknowledge black men are profiled against unjustly.

It’s possible to respect the military and think the flag represents a country that might have some racial issues.

But people can’t do nuance. It has to be one or the other.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You’re right.

The extremes are what drove ratings. And when news becomes about ratings, reporters must feed the beast.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote: I wish we would remain silent on this complex issue, he was just answering a question and did it well.
Now just let that statement stand and have no further comment. Please?! No good can come of it.
This was where one of us suggested remaining silent because the issue is complex.

Liberty22 wrote:That's what worries me about Jerry being so vocal on this as well as some other things he chooses to be vocal about. There is already a segment of the world that hates us because we're Christian. We know that. That Bible said that would happen. No surprise there.

And another suggesting we avoid it because it’s dangerous?

These are bad bases for avoiding comment on a topic.
Nah im just more concerned with Christ than I am Country. This is definitely a topic that can and should be discussed in a way that promotes coming together and unity to understand each other. The way Jerry is doing it by joining into trump's rhetoric, whom I voted for btw, is just causing division. Jerry should voice his thoughts on this in a way that doesnt detract from the Name of Christ and Liberty. The way he does speak oftentimes sheds a negative light on LU as well as Christ. I absolutely hate the protest. I think it should be done outside of the NFL games and on his own time. If i spent time during my job protesting something, i'd lose my job. But for Trump to call them SOB's and say they should be fired is ridiculous and it only makes it seem like Jerry and by association Liberty would be calling them all SOB's too.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jerry’s comments to USA Today didn’t sound like Trump at all. Supporting Trump and standing proverbially beside him on many issues doesn’t equate his words to Yrump’s rhetoric any more than you voting for Trump does.

I, too, don’t like the SOB comment. Poor taste. Lacks nuance, like SJ said. And anyone reading Jerry’s comments should be able to tell the difference.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Here’s the thing though, when weighing the two, anything I’ve learned from the gospel is that we should listen to the person who’s choosing to kneel to hear what they have to say. I can’t find anything biblical about minimizing their protest because the venue makes us feel uncomfortable.

I’ll take this protest all day long over some destructive protest on some city street somewhere in America and seeing shops destroyed and people hurt.

A few years ago Pastor Johnathan was addressing some of these issues during his preaching and talked about how we should value people and relationships over symbols, nationalistic or otherwise. Even if we feel that person’s perception of reality is wrong, they will always be created in the image of God, where a statue, a flag, or a even a country doesn’t hold that same worth.

As far as the venue, when people feel passionate about a subject, they’ll choose a stage that has a lot of eyes on it.

I don’t disagree with you about the owner’s rights. It’s a business decision on whether an owner wants to let an employee express themselves in certain ways while wearing their uniform, etc. It’s certainly within their rights.

I’ll end with this. I’m named after Francis Scott Key. The Key family name was my grandmother’s name. That song is literally part of my family’s legacy and some of my earliest memories I recall are my grandmother sharing the story of how the lyrics to our national anthem were written. As I’ve gotten older, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s nothing more American than a protest to air grievances. It’s sort of what our country was founded on and preceded some of our biggest moves forward as a society. The fact that these are peaceful makes it more responsible than a lot of other stuff we see in society.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Jerry’s comments to USA Today didn’t sound like Trump at all. Supporting Trump and standing proverbially beside him on many issues doesn’t equate his words to Yrump’s rhetoric any more than you voting for Trump does.

I, too, don’t like the SOB comment. Poor taste. Lacks nuance, like SJ said. And anyone reading Jerry’s comments should be able to tell the difference.
Yes and you are wise enough to know that. Unfortunately, for half of America, Jerry has become the face of Trump and "Trump Evangelicals". So anything Jerry does that is in line with Trump (Whether he says it nicer or not) will be equated with some of the ways trump says things.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve listened to the person protesting.

I haven’t minimized the protest at all.

I do value people above symbols - flag, anthem, etc.

I don’t believe it was right for CK to kneel during the anthem.

None of these is mutually exclusive, one to another.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote:Jerry’s comments to USA Today didn’t sound like Trump at all. Supporting Trump and standing proverbially beside him on many issues doesn’t equate his words to Yrump’s rhetoric any more than you voting for Trump does.

Jerry’s comments didn’t sound like Trump. They sounded like a person who was uninformed on multiple fronts.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:

Yes and you are wise enough to know that. Unfortunately, for half of America, Jerry has become the face of Trump and "Trump Evangelicals". So anything Jerry does that is in line with Trump (Whether he says it nicer or not) will be equated with some of the ways trump says things.
I don’t believe we or anyone else should apologize for being wise enough to see the difference.
Last edited by JK37 on September 7th, 2018, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts

Jerry’s comments on this issue so far aren’t as harsh as Trump’s. That’s definitely true.

They do demonstrate a lack of understanding about the issue though. Sometimes if you don’t understand something it is best to be quiet about it. He admitted he didn’t know what their contract looked like and he hadn’t even seen the advertisement. You can infer he hasn’t spoken to many people who either kneel in these instances or support the kneeling to understand where they are coming from.

There are a lot of facts and opinions to sort through on this issue and when you’re a leader at a large business, it’s best to do your due diligence before you chime in. You’ll sound more intelligent when doing so.

I’d also be curious what is more disrespectful, trying to get out of a written contract due to a disagreement on when/where a protest should occur or the protest itself?
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote: I don’t believe it was right for CK to kneel during the anthem.
Honest question:

Would you have rather be continued to inconspicuously sit on the bench attracting no attention to himself (which he did for two games before the media caught on) or kneel during the anthem out of respect like the Navy SEAL suggested he do?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I read the article. I get on here and see people losing their minds. I go back and read the article again thinking i must have missed something inflammatory that Jr. said. I'm still trying to find something wrong with what he said. He was asked for a quote, provided a detailed answer of what he was concerned about (which was fair) and admitted that it might not be possible to get out of it even if he decided he wanted to.

Second, the idea that "all the other major shoe companies wanted Kaepernick" is 100% false and the idea that leaving nike would sink our program is hilarious as well. I can say for certain that there is at least 1 other major company that had and has zero interest in making Kaepernick the face of anything (and would sign us tomorrow). We could and probably should have switched to them in the past few years anyway. I can tell you for a fact this company and likely others are salivating at the mistake Nike has made (whether you agree or disagree with Kaepernick, it's terrible business).

Regarding shoes - you can find a few morons that believe any idea about anything and can get them to do anything. So of course there are few people burning shoes. 99% of people against what Kaepernick has done will simply bump Nike down the list for future purchases. This will inevitably hurt Nike no matter what SJW's want to say.

Kaepernick as the face...cmon.

-cops as pig socks
-clueless about his original protest
-castro shirt (unbelievable)
-starting qb for 49ers wears dolphins hat to party (just dumb) wear another sport
-admitted he would stand the next year once he realized his drama outweighed his talent (same as tebow) both could have stayed in the league as 2nd or 3rd stringers

Making that guy the face of any campaign is an insult to all police, cubans & quite a bit of the rest of society. If you want to move that narrative use Michael Jenkins, Anquan Boldin or Chris Long. Though i don't agree with all of what they say i respect them because the way they've done what they've done and the arguments are coherent and they've backed it up $ wise. Kaepernick did only after he was forced into a corner.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: I don’t believe it was right for CK to kneel during the anthem.
Why?
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:

I don’t believe we or anyone else should apologize for being wise enough to see the difference.
:dontgetit I'm confused now. Who's apologizing?
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]