Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:It’s one game, but it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. That one game is part of a whole season. In this instance, it’s a season that already includes two Power 5 opponents.

So the question isn’t just, “Would you rather play Nebraska, NM, or a bowl?”

The question really is, “Would you rather play two notable Power 5 teams and have a good shot at a bowl, or play three notable Power 5 teams and have less a chance at that same bowl?”

What is the ROI? We’re already getting serious ROI from the UVA and Auburn matchups. How much MORE do we get from this Nebraska matchup? And does it outweighs the ROI from winning at least six games and going to a bowl in the first season of FBS. I strongly wager, No!

Also, there are pitches made to recruits AFTER the fact. I’ve said it previously. We can already pitch a willingness to play anyone, anywhere with UVA and Auburn already on the schedule. Nebraska doesn’t move the notoriety meter enough. It’ll be an interesting story on the B block of Outside the Lines for one news cycle; it’s not enough to take another sure loss over a bowl - ANY BOWL! We’ve never done that before, and you can absolutely use “we played two Power 5’s, had a winning record and went to a bowl in our first FBS season,” more than “we played three FBS opponents.”
The thing is LU DOESNT have a good shot at a Bowl this year. And even if they DID go to a Bowl it would be such a horrible Bowl that no one else wanted to go to Against a school no one care about in a stadium teeming with dozens of people
By Jonathan Carone
I'm hearing our administration and football staff aren't particularly interested in a game with Nebraska this year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm hearing our administration and football staff aren't particularly interested in a game with Nebraska this year.
I was thinking if we hadn’t heard anything by Today it wasn’t going to happen.
It hey, it was a great couple pages of thread!
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Purple: there IS a chance we could be in a bowl game, but I think this opportunity out weighs playing in one. I agree with you: Name recognition is important. We can show recruits: "Look, you can play against Nebraska, Auburn, VT." That is going much further than, "Look, we went to the toilet bowl!"
There IS a chance I could be a vegan.
There ain't no chance of that. :lol:

I can't tell if you are just being contrarian (as normal) or if you didn't follow the development last month. The fact is that we are not automatically ineligible to go to a bowl game this year... but it is unlikely that we will.

I agree with the Army scenario... Surely most of us had Army as an "L" for us. If we were to win, I'd be willing to gamble on Nebraska.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Purple: there IS a chance we could be in a bowl game, but I think this opportunity out weighs playing in one. I agree with you: Name recognition is important. We can show recruits: "Look, you can play against Nebraska, Auburn, VT." That is going much further than, "Look, we went to the toilet bowl!"
There IS a chance I could be a vegan.
There ain't no chance of that. :lol:

I can't tell if you are just being contrarian (as normal) or if you didn't follow the development last month. The fact is that we are not automatically ineligible to go to a bowl game this year... but it is unlikely that we will.

I agree with the Army scenario... Surely most of us had Army as an "L" for us. If we were to win, I'd be willing to gamble on Nebraska.
What was that line in Dumb and Dumber....”so you’re sayin I gotta chance”

This is what LU fans are currently look like talking about going to a Bowl this year. I’m not being contrarian, if I was I would have thrown a lot more crazy stuff out. This is balls on legit. I think they missed an opportunity but it would have been icing on the cake. The difference between an A and and A +

[youtube]KX5jNnDMfxA[/youtube]
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
You know how it goes for us. We'll win 6 games and end up in a tie for a bowl game. Guess who stays home? :lol:
By LUOrange
Somedbody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we need 7 wins to be bowl eligible because only 1 of the FCS wins can count towards eligibility. So we need 4 more FBS wins. Which is one reason why I think LU should pursue the Nebraska game.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:This is what LU fans are currently look like talking about going to a Bowl this year.
I don't disagree and I don't think we are going to a bowl game. But yes, there is a chance. :lol: My point is simply that we aren't ineligible simply because we are in our second transition year (as we had previously been told).

I am fully on board with playing Nebraska. :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:This is what LU fans are currently look like talking about going to a Bowl this year.
I don't disagree and I don't think we are going to a bowl game. But yes, there is a chance. :lol: My point is simply that we aren't ineligible simply because we are in our second transition year (as we had previously been told).

I am fully on board with playing Nebraska. :football
Riiighhhtt. Once more

[youtube]wGdhc9k07Ms[/youtube]
By LUDad
LUOrange wrote:Somedbody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we need 7 wins to be bowl eligible because only 1 of the FCS wins can count towards eligibility. So we need 4 more FBS wins. Which is one reason why I think LU should pursue the Nebraska game.
The bowl eligibility is listed below. Qualifing starts with teams meeting requirements stated in rule 1. As long as there are not enough teams to qualify all bowl slots you keep going through all 6 rules until you have enough teams to till all bowl slots. Teams see rule 2 concerning FCS wins. Liberty would qualify under rule 5.

1. Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period. In the 2012 season, programs in four FCS conferences cannot meet the 90% requirement (56.7 equivalents)—the Ivy League, which prohibits all athletic scholarships; the Pioneer Football League and Georgetown, which do not currently award football scholarships; and the Northeast Conference, which limits football scholarships to 38 equivalents.
2. 6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.
3. Teams that finish 6-7 with loss number seven in their conference championship game (that has been eliminated by the conference championship waiver rule).
4. 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents. Although Hawaii normally plays a 13-game schedule, it only played 12 games in the 2012 season.
5. FCS teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
6. Finally, 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score. This was later adjusted to allow other 5-7 teams to be selected thereafter—in order of their APR.[9]
By G5Fan in SLC
Volunteer_Flame wrote:Never knew 13 regular season games was even allowed? And I would like the pay day but I doubt Nebraska needs that game unless they think they need that win to make a bowl game. We are already playing Auburn so Nebraska wouldn't have me anymore excited to get beat by 4-6 TDs again.

Would be awesome to catch a deal with Nebraska coming to Lynchburg but that seems more like a pipe dream unfortunately.
Hey, Liberty Flames fans! Welcome to the FBS! I am really enjoying what Liberty has going for them, and I am certain more conference shifts will allow Liberty to step into a conference within the next three years. Liberty will be a program I will have to keep my eyes on.

Now, to clarify on the above rule, 13 games may be played in the regular season ONLY IF one of those 13 games is on the road at Hawaii. It is the NCAA's "Hawaii Rule" generally because travel to Hawaii is costly and eats into school travel budgets. Only Hawaii and their home opponents are allowed to play 13 games.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Feels like Norfolk State game being postponed, gives us some time to negotiate an October 27th game with the huskers. Moving their bye week to week 1, and our bye week to week 2.

Hope this is still in the works for the following 10 reasons .

1) It will not hurt us in bowl standings, ( still need 6 FBS , and only 1/2 FCS wins would count towards that).

2) Would be able to demonstrate our independent flexibility to the nation.

3) $450,000 + Pay day .

4) Formally Develop the already existing relationship with Nebraska.

5) Nebraska is a top tier national program, that is at their lowest point. We would be underdogs, but not by 35+ points like I foresee happening in the future when Frost gets it going.

6) Lincoln would be an epic trip for LU fans, and the team.

7) our Sea of Red vs their Sea of Red. (thats what they call their fan base )

8.) Gill is a legend in those parts, if we can establish some LU credibility we may get a great recruit or two next year.

9) Gives us another game to become bowl eligible. (although not likely, its still an extra chance)

10) Save us the Embarrassing attendance numbers for Norfolk state game in December.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Welp NVM
By Jonathan Carone
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm hearing our administration and football staff aren't particularly interested in a game with Nebraska this year.
I tried to tell you.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
From the sounds of what I read it seems Liberty was interested cause they reached out to nebraska. Seems to me that Nebraska was less interested. Plus I saw NU and Akron May make that game up later now.
By G5Fan in SLC
As it stands, there are four schools now with cancelled games that have bye weeks on 10-27 with Liberty. Those four are Nebraska, Central Florida, East Carolina, and Marshall. It is possible that if these teams are not able to make up their games this year, they could eventually be paired with each other. UCF vs Nebraska would have a really good storyline. Marshall and East Carolina were both in Conference USA for many years before ECU'S recent exodus to the American a few short years ago.

BUT, if Liberty is interested in drawing a more regional opponent such as Marshall or East Carolina either at home or on the road, they would have to likely cancel their home game against New Mexico State and offer a generous payout to NMSU at least as outlined in the contract. Or cancel one of the FCS games slated on the schedule--probably Idaho State--since only one FCS counts toward bowl eligibility anyways. Still, mid-season cancellations by programs not experiencing catastrophic events are very rare. It looks like Liberty has resheduled Norfolk for December 1st.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In the fourth quarter, Troy is BEATING Nebraska, 17-13. :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Troy wins. If UNT knocks off Arkansas should help our ticket sales!
Nothing new for Troy. They beat LSU last year, and unlike Nebraska, LSU was actually ranked at the time. Troy has become one of the really solid G5 programs.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Norrh Texas is good. The fact we have both North Texas and Troy at home in our first FBS season is pretty solid.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
“As Nebraska football coach Scott Frost discussed the issue of player safety Tuesday on the Big Ten teleconference, he alluded to his team playing 12 straight weeks this season, a clear sign Husker officials are indeed gearing to play Oct. 27.

Nothing's final on that front, Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos said later Tuesday, "but we're working toward that."”

The article goes on to say they’re in the process of finalizing with an FCS opponent but they aren’t settled on that yet as there’s a lot of red tape for an FCS team to play an extra game so they’re still looking at all options.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/ ... user-share
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The news also rules out Turner Gill making a triumphant return. While his Liberty Flames have that weekend off, they’ve made the jump to FBS.

It should be pointed out Liberty already has 12 games so they would have either needed special dispensation from the NCAA or to back out of one. In other words, those hoping for a matchup of former Husker quarterbacks are going to have to wait until at least 2023 when we have a hole in our non-conference slate.
https://huskercorner.com/2018/09/18/neb ... 12th-game/
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]