Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Nebraska is looking for a 12th game since their game with Akron was canceled.

We both share a bye date 10/27. With Turner Gill being a Husker legend, I have to think we can land a home and home with them. Getting Nebraska to come to the Bill would be huge.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/ ... 121358375/

from a Nebraska fan on how it could work
New Mexico State and Liberty play twice this year. Both are FBS teams, but independents, so they have had trouble scheduling and finally just decided before the season to play a home and home, in Las Cruces on Oct. 6 and on Nov. 24 in Virginia.

They should cancel the Oct. 6 game in Las Cruces and replace it with a home game against Akron on Sept. 29, a date both schools currently have open. Kick in to cover Akron's travel costs.

That would free Liberty and head coach Turner Gill to bring his Fightin' Falwells to Lincoln on Oct. 27, a date both schools currently have open.

Nobody loses a home game. Akron has a chance at a W instead of a loss. Liberty gets a crap-ton of money.

And two legendary Husker QBs get to face off in Frost's first season.
Last edited by ballah09 on September 2nd, 2018, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Nebraska is looking for a 12th game since their game with Akron was canceled.

We both share a bye date 10/27. With Turner Gill being a Husker legend, I have to think we can land a home and home with them. Getting Nebraska to come to the Bill would be huge.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/ ... 121358375/

from a Nebraska fan on how it could work
New Mexico State and Liberty play twice this year. Both are FBS teams, but independents, so they have had trouble scheduling and finally just decided before the season to play a home and home, in Las Cruces on Oct. 6 and on Nov. 24 in Virginia.

They should cancel the Oct. 6 game in Las Cruces and replace it with a home game against Akron on Sept. 29, a date both schools currently have open. Kick in to cover Akron's travel costs.

That would free Liberty and head coach Turner Gill to bring his Fightin' Falwells to Lincoln on Oct. 27, a date both schools currently have open.

Nobody loses a home game. Akron has a chance at a W instead of a loss. Liberty gets a crap-ton of money.

And two legendary Husker QBs get to face off in Frost's first season.
I could see LU taking a payday to go there.
By Jonathan Carone
To do this, we’d probably have to buy out an FCS home game, right? Can you get a waiver for a 13th game?
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:To do this, we’d probably have to buy out an FCS home game, right? Can you get a waiver for a 13th game?
No rules against as far as I know. It happened every season. Usually whomever Hawaii plays week 0.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:To do this, we’d probably have to buy out an FCS home game, right? Can you get a waiver for a 13th game?
It’s only a matter of money
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
They were set to pay Akron $1.17m. I think we can make a less painful home and home and bump their SoS a little bit.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
They were set to pay Akron $1.17m. I think we can make a less painful home and home and bump their SoS a little bit.
They need a quick and easy opponent to schedule. They may sweeten the $$ pot a little but won’t go thru the logistical hoops to do a home and Home.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The Huskers probably would be more likely to take a one way...even a two-for-one is a major longshot
By Jonathan Carone
No rules against as far as I know. It happened every season. Usually whomever Hawaii plays week 0.
But they usually have a second bye week, not a 13th game, correct?
By Jonathan Carone
The way this would work is if Akron would want to play New Mexico on 9/29. If so, we let that game happen and replace it with at Nebraska in October.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
They need a quick and easy opponent to schedule. They may sweeten the $$ pot a little but won’t go thru the logistical hoops to do a home and Home.
The reason I think we can get a home and home is with the combination of us helping them out, $$$, and the Gill connection. We might be the only team they would do that for.
By tyndal23
Yes, that way NM isn’t screwed and we stay at 12 games. Eliminates the 2 successive trips to NM in 7 days. we don’t have room for Nebraska in Lynchburg to even float a 2 for 1 - they bring an extra 20k fans to Oklahoma who don’t have tickets and just want to tailgate and be around the game...definitely a 1 off but I am all for it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
The reason I think we can get a home and home is with the combination of us helping them out, $$$, and the Gill connection. We might be the only team they would do that for.
And I might become a vegan.
By Jonathan Carone
The bigger question is why would Nebraska want to make up the game? They’ve already gotten the gate money. They’ve already paid Akron. They play Ohio State the week after the bye. Why wouldn’t they just sit on this game and if they need it for bowl eligibility, schedule it for December 1 like FSU did last year?
By tyndal23
Reading their statement - actively looking for a game - ( I imagine they have to refund gate ) and December they don’t know if they are in Big 10 Championship game and have to stay flexible - so much harder to find opponent.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
This is phenomenal outside the box thinking. Definite loss on our schedule if we do this but if we can manage a home game later out of it I think it’s awesome. Also avoids the NMSU doubleheader
By LUDad
A 13th money game would be good if possible. However, I wouldn't want to give up a game with NMS until after the Army game. If we are for real and happen to win the Army game we could easily be 3-0 after the first 3 games of the season with a bowl game in our first year looming as a very real possibility. In this scenario the 2nd NMS game could end-up being critical.
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:A 13th money game would be good if possible. However, I wouldn't want to give up a game with NMS until after the Army game. If we are for real and happen to win the Army game we could easily be 3-0 after the first 3 games of the season with a bowl game in our first year looming as a very real possibility. In this scenario the 2nd NMS game could end-up being critical.
Nebraska is a better opponent than we would even think of in the Cure Bowl. I'll take a home and home with Nebraska any day.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Wasn’t an FCS team allowed to play a 12’th game last year because of a hurricane reschedule?
By LUDad
LUDad wrote:A 13th money game would be good if possible. However, I wouldn't want to give up a game with NMS until after the Army game. If we are for real and happen to win the Army game we could easily be 3-0 after the first 3 games of the season with a bowl game in our first year looming as a very real possibility. In this scenario the 2nd NMS game could end-up being critical.
Nebraska is a better opponent than we would even think of in the Cure Bowl. I'll take a home and home with Nebraska any day.
Absolutely on the home & home! But I'm thinking along the lines that it would be a one and done.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Playing Nebraska > remote possibility of obscure Bowl
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:Playing Nebraska > remote possibility of obscure Bowl
True, but at least we would make history with that obscure bowl. It's not like we don't already have a beatdown coming with Auburn.
By Volunteer_Flame
Posts Posts
Never knew 13 regular season games was even allowed? And I would like the pay day but I doubt Nebraska needs that game unless they think they need that win to make a bowl game. We are already playing Auburn so Nebraska wouldn't have me anymore excited to get beat by 4-6 TDs again.

Would be awesome to catch a deal with Nebraska coming to Lynchburg but that seems more like a pipe dream unfortunately.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]