Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Especially if we need it to get to a bowl.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:While this is fun to talk about, is this something we should even be interested in?

Is giving up a winnable game worth getting killed by a P5?

What would make it worth it?
I think it could come down to our performance in the Army game. If we win there then assume the win Norfolk State, I think it's obvious we take the Nebraska game.

Also, Nebraska is the middle ground between UVa and Auburn on our schedules. Liberty should be a 3 possession underdog. While I don't believe in moral victories I do believe that consistently covering the spread can get us a reputation on its own.

Is it worth playing 4 weeks on the road? I'm not sure, but the exposure would be unparalleled, and PR could spin it heavy into helping Nebraska out more than anything else.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I can understand the allure of a Nebraska matchup, but barring a colossal payday (which we don’t need), I just don’t see the point.

Notoriety against P5 competition? We have UVA and Auburn.

Gill connection? The majority of this board wanted him canned just 72 hours ago.

Appeal to recruits? Answer this: what sells better. “Hey, we won six games in our first FBS year and won a bowl.” Or, “Hey we only lose to Nebraska by 14.” ???

I want wins this year, any way I can get them. Trading winnable for a more recognizable name makes zero sense to me.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:While this is fun to talk about, is this something we should even be interested in?

Yes. Because at this stage in the process it’s all about exposure not competitiveness
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:

Yes. Because at this stage in the process it’s all about exposure not competitiveness
Exactly. And JK37, I still want to move on from Gill, but you play the hand you're dealt. I can want a more consistent coach all day long but he is the one we have, let's milk his connection for everything it's worth.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agree with jk. Further unless we get a home game no thanks. Plus if the TG connection mattered we would have already played them or have them on the schedule.
Last edited by jinxy on September 5th, 2018, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If we can get a future home game, it’d be worth it.

If we can’t, it’s not.
Why? This is a tremendous opportunity for exposure for LU. That’s all it’s about right now
By tyndal23
Or we give Nebraska their only loss, win out and beat a 2 loss UVA team who surprisingly sneak in to the top 25 prior to us beating them, then upset undefeated Auburn who goes on to be SEC champ - Committee and NCAA call emergeny meeting on whether as a transition team we are allowed in Playoffs since we beat Big 10 and SEC champs and are undefeated with 3 P 5 wins. Jerry calls Trump - Trump calls Condi RIce to use her influence, but G W Bush tells her to keep us out since Trump likes LU so, we are left with no bowl since our only tie in had a Sun Belt eligible team ahead of us.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I suspect PH is being sarcastic.

I guess if Nebraska is willing to come to Lynchburg, it’s worth considering. But I still take the winnable game. Nebraska could buy our that return game down the road. We don’t need the money; we need wins.

We’re already getting enough exposure. Keep winning. THAT brings the greatest exposure.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I suspect PH is being sarcastic.

I guess if Nebraska is willing to come to Lynchburg, it’s worth considering. But I still take the winnable game. Nebraska could buy our that return game down the road. We don’t need the money; we need wins.

We’re already getting enough exposure. Keep winning. THAT brings the greatest exposure.
Nope. I am straight up serious. Still too many people saying “who?” When they hear Liberty. LU is not Bowl Eligible this year so what’s the big difference? Get the name out there. Fresno St back in the day played anybody anywhere and they put together a nice string eventually. Boise St built their program the same way. The more eyeballs LU canhave on their program at this point the better. A loss to Nebraska AT Nebraska is far superior to a win or loss to the entire state of New Mexico
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:I suspect PH is being sarcastic.

Nope. I am straight up serious. Still too many people saying “who?” When they hear Liberty. LU is not Bowl Eligible this year so what’s the big difference? Get the name out there. Fresno St back in the day played anybody anywhere and they put together a nice string eventually. Boise St built their program the same way. The more eyeballs LU canhave on their program at this point the better. A loss to Nebraska AT Nebraska is far superior to a win or loss to the entire state of New Mexico
Not to mention that doing it could cause a good deal of Nebraska fans to pull for Liberty when they aren't playing Nebraska.

Also, we have our bowl tie in that is in effect this year.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ok. I disagree.

We DO have a bowl tie-in. We ARE bowl eligible this year. A win is a win is a win.

What would you all say if the bowl opportunity was right there for the taking, but we were ineligible by one game?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Ok. I disagree.

We DO have a bowl tie-in. We ARE bowl eligible this year. A win is a win is a win.

What would you all say if the bowl opportunity was right there for the taking, but we were ineligible by one game?
Nebraska
By Jonathan Carone
If we are in a place where building brand recognition and getting our name out there, then Turner Gill is the perfect coach for where we are as a program and we should try to play Nebraska.

I'll be really disappointed if that's where we are though.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:Ok. I disagree.

Nebraska
Oh jeez :lol:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I feel like some people’s willingness to play this game is due in some part to the ODU game. Recency bias.

After UVA beats LU by 14, and Auburn beats LU by 31, let’s take ANOTHER beatdown at Nebraska. Because, ODU.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If we are in a place where building brand recognition and getting our name out there, then Turner Gill is the perfect coach for where we are as a program and we should try to play Nebraska.

I'll be really disappointed if that's where we are though.
What's new! :lol:
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:I feel like some people’s willingness to play this game is due in some part to the ODU game. Recency bias.

After UVA beats LU by 14, and Auburn beats LU by 31, let’s take ANOTHER beatdown at Nebraska. Because, ODU.
Like I said before, I think us doing this deal hinges on how we fare against Army. A win and I think we have to take this game. Vegas has already moved the line to LU +8.5. A win at Army means we should, on paper beat both FCS schools, Troy, UNM, and NMSU. Leaving us losses for UNT, UMass, UVA, Nebraska, and Auburn.
By SoD BAS
Class of 20Something wrote:Like I said before, I think us doing this deal hinges on how we fare against Army. A win and I think we have to take this game. Vegas has already moved the line to LU +8.5. A win at Army means we should, on paper beat both FCS schools, Troy, UNM, and NMSU. Leaving us losses for UNT, UMass, UVA, Nebraska, and Auburn.
I think we underrate UNM sometimes.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I can understand the allure of a Nebraska matchup, but barring a colossal payday (which we don’t need), I just don’t see the point.

Notoriety against P5 competition? We have UVA and Auburn.

Gill connection? The majority of this board wanted him canned just 72 hours ago.

Appeal to recruits? Answer this: what sells better. “Hey, we won six games in our first FBS year and won a bowl.” Or, “Hey we only lose to Nebraska by 14.” ???

I want wins this year, any way I can get them. Trading winnable for a more recognizable name makes zero sense to me.
I agree, unless we can get a 2-1 or even 1-1 . Depends on how desperate they are to fill that spot.

Another benefit of doing this would be showing our scheduling flexibility to all other ADs in the country. We need to be there when they call.
By SoD BAS
R i wrote:I agree, unless we can get a 2-1 or even 1-1 . Depends on how desperate they are to fill that spot.

Another benefit of doing this would be showing our scheduling flexibility to all other ADs in the country. We need to be there when they call.
I agree on the second point. Not sure how likely hosting Nebraska would be with our small stadium capacity.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone stated how many the berm will hold?
By LUDad
We have 9 FBS games on our schedule this year, two of them with P5 schools with the chances of one of those P5 games being against a top 5 or better team.

That is a huge jump that we are taking this year. Injuries could start taking a toll. Lets enjoy what we have and play for an historic bowl game.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I would be shocked if anybody is really able to view a game sitting on the berm without sliding down the hill
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]