Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
United States Military Academy
West Point, New York

Army Football Official Site

Army Rivals Message Board

ArmySports.com Message Board - Academy Wars

Michie Stadium
Built in 1924 - Seats 38,000

Jeff Monken
5th Season as Army Head Coach
*** Paul Johnson Disciple - Former Georgia Southern Head Coach ***

2018 Schedule/Results
  • AUG 31 - 7:00 PM - @ DUKE ................................ L 14-34
    SEP 08 - 12:00 PM - LIBERTY
    SEP 15 - 12:00 PM - HAWAII
    SEP 22 - 7:00 PM - @ OKLAHOMA
    SEP 29 - ... TBA... - @ BUFFALO
    OCT 13 - ... TBA .. - @ SAN JOSE STATE
    OCT 20 - 12:00 PM - MIAMI (OH)
    OCT 27 - ... TBA .. - @ EASTERN MICHIGAN
    NOV 03 - 12:00 PM - AIR FORCE
    NOV 10 - 12:00 PM - LAFAYETTE
    NOV 17 - 12:00 PM - COLGATE
    DEC 08 - 3:00 PM - vs. NAVY in Philadelphia
Army Official Site wrote:Duke Topples Black Knights in Opener

DURHAM, N.C. – The Army West Point football team dropped its season opener at Duke here Friday night 34-14.

Junior quarterback Kelvin Hopkins Jr. made his first career start and threw for 197 yards and a touchdown while going 10-of-18 through the air. Sophomore Camden Harrison had one of the highlights on the night with a 45-yard touchdown reception.

Senior Calen Holt was Army's leading rusher with 54 yards, while Hopkins had the lone rushing score for the Black Knights in the loss. Army gained a total of 365 yards and had more passing yards (197) than rushing yards (168) for the first time since the 2015 Army-Navy Game
Click Here for Full Story

Key Players

# Kelvin Hopkins Jr.
    5' 10" 205 lbs Junior Quarterback
    Season Opener: 10-of-21 for 197 Yds with 1 TD & 0 INTs + 16 Carries for 37 Yds & 1 Rushing TD

#22 Calen Holt
    6' 0" 230 lbs Senior Running Back
    Season Opener: 7 Carries for 54 Yards

#88 Camden Harrison
    6' 2" 195 lbs Sophomore Receiver
    Season Opener: 3 Catches for 92 Yards and 1 TD

#91 Wunmi Oyetuga
    6' 4" 275 lbs Senior Defensive Lineman
    Season Opener: 2 Tackle sincluding 1 for Loss

#19 James Nachtigal
    6' 0" 235 lbs Senior Linebacker
    Season Opener: 6 Tackles

#23 Elijah Riley
    6' 0" 205 lbs Defensive Back
    Season Opener: Team-High 7 Tackles including 1 for Loss
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have to admit that I was surprised to see Running Game Coordinator among his responsibilities up there.

The OC Brent Davis also knows a bit about us as he was at VMI a decade ago when they had the triple option running about as well as the Keydets ever did against us.
By tyndal23
They are breaking in 4 new O Lineman, QB play nothing like last year, secondary weak point of their D - LU should have a puncher’s chance on paper. Will be interesting to see what the opening line is on this game. Will be more interested to see what LU offensive strategy is, Gill will want to slow it down to rest D which I think will be a mistake - trust your D Line depth, OK to use all your timeouts on Defense if they start mounting a long drive and winding us...Key is to get up early and make them get out of comfort zone like Duke did...(Essie’s said than done )
By Jonathan Carone
Their pass defense wasn’t great. We can definitely throw on them.

Their run game will be better than it was at Duke. It’ll be a test to see if our defense is truly better or if ODU was just not any good.
By SoD BAS
I'm pretty nervous about how our defense will hold. If we tackle like we did yesterday (not very well), it could be a long afternoon. The defense could be battered, bruised and banged up come the second half. I hope the arm tackling gets addressed this week.

The LU offense should rolllllll
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Before last night I assumed Army would blow us out but I think we keep it close but Army pulls away late as there run game wears out our defense. Army by 10.
By PAFlame
I feel slightly better after the ODU win, but I also am not about to declare this team back to supremacy after a win against arguably one of the worst teams in all of FBS football. Defense will be key, and I think we have a chance but just aren't there yet.

Army- 38
Liberty- 27
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Will this be the half time show?

[youtube]mnIBk-0KLi0[/youtube]
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Roll Call: Who's going? I know Ballcoach will be there, probably in his Army fatigues and combat boots wearing an LU cap. :usa
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Roll Call: Who's going? I know Ballcoach will be there, probably in his Army fatigues and combat boots wearing an LU cap. :usa
Trump DID say he might be there in his speech at LU.......
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Having a QB who is more than a "4th running back" could be a problem with their TO. We once again have to be assignment sound, something we have not been the past few times we have faced a TO offense.
Im definitely laying the points in this one, although i don't see us winning.
By LUDad
Post game remarks by Army QB:

On challenges presented by Duke’s defense

“They were really good sideline to sideline. They had a lot of good speed going laterally. It was hard to get them reached on the offensive line and get to the edge like we wanted to on certain plays. That was definitely one of their strong suits. Their lateral speed was just different.”

On if 21 pass attempts were part of the game plan

“I wouldn’t say it was a part of the game plan. It was just playing within our strengths at the time with their defense moving laterally and the things that we wanted to do didn’t turn out how we wanted to. They were moving fast laterally and we couldn’t get them reach-blocked. Our pass game was working. Our offensive line was killing it and they were giving us time. We kind of went with what was hot at the moment.”

Seems like fast lateral movement bothered Army's TO...
By Dalegarz1
My family will be there including my 1 year old granddaughter. We plan on getting there early to see the sites and watch the cadets parade before the pre-game meal under the LU tent. The forecast is for pleasant temps after a sizzling week in the 90's. Having been there before, I can tell you the atmosphere is great and the location (on the Hudson) is awesome. Without a doubt, the key will be to make them play from behind. We need a couple of turnovers to have a real chance. This is a big test for our defense and defensive coordinator. I think we will learn a lot about the quality of our team (not to mention the future of the coaching staff) from this game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Post game remarks by Army QB:

On challenges presented by Duke’s defense

“They were really good sideline to sideline. They had a lot of good speed going laterally. It was hard to get them reached on the offensive line and get to the edge like we wanted to on certain plays. That was definitely one of their strong suits. Their lateral speed was just different.”

On if 21 pass attempts were part of the game plan

“I wouldn’t say it was a part of the game plan. It was just playing within our strengths at the time with their defense moving laterally and the things that we wanted to do didn’t turn out how we wanted to. They were moving fast laterally and we couldn’t get them reach-blocked. Our pass game was working. Our offensive line was killing it and they were giving us time. We kind of went with what was hot at the moment.”

Seems like fast lateral movement bothered Army's TO...
It certainly does. The big job for the line in a TO is the ability to reach/cut block and give the ballcarrier the opportunity to get to the second or third level fairly unimpeded. If the defensive front can get from side to side to react to the initiating dive action between the quarterback and fullback, they can better disrupt the secondary action whether pitch, keep or pass.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Spirit Video for Army football game against Liberty where the team will wear the 3rd Infantry Division patch on their uniforms. The video highlights the history of the 3rd Infantry Division as well as the strong performance by the Black Knights when wearing the division patch in 2017.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/620521/a ... irit-video
Man, no offense to the fine folks at VMI or the Citadel etc, but playing FBS and having games against Army, Navy, etc is light years better!
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]