Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Yacht Rock wrote:Or, just like in many other cases, when there is popular music to play at a sporting event, it is commonly found among other sporting events.
"Don't Stop Believin"? I hear it in the background at just about every stadium. That's an oldie, that's why I ask.
As a secular and Christian musician at times in my life, I believe that there are alternatives that can be cool and clean at the same time. There are literally thousands of songs on i-tunes or spotify that are motivational and clean as well that we shouldn't have to compromise with trash content. It is utter non-sense that we have to listen to crap to be seen as cool at a game. For every "Don't Stop Believing", which references promiscuity, there is a Bon Jovi "Living On A Prayer" that stirs up the students without having to explain to a 9 year old about a song that talks about the "...smell of wine and cheap perfume". The question is not can Liberty do it, but why. Why do we have to pick any music that denigrates women, promotes getting high or promotes promiscuity? There is no viable reason when there are so many choices in any genre you could think of. I for one, enjoy tailgating in a spirited atmosphere that does not include the smell of beer, urine and smoke that I smell at N.C. State, UVA and other games that I have attended, and I don't think that profanity and tasteless music adds to my game day experience. I hope we don't lower standards there as well. There is no reason that we can't get loud with Lecrae, Tobymac, and secular musicians with clean lyrics. I hope this FBS thing does not cause us to totally abandon standards just for the sake of trying to "Fit In'.
Racenut wrote:As a secular and Christian musician at times in my life, I believe that there are alternatives that can be cool and clean at the same time. There are literally thousands of songs on i-tunes or spotify that are motivational and clean as well that we shouldn't have to compromise with trash content. It is utter non-sense that we have to listen to crap to be seen as cool at a game. For every "Don't Stop Believing", which references promiscuity, there is a Bon Jovi "Living On A Prayer" that stirs up the students without having to explain to a 9 year old about a song that talks about the "...smell of wine and cheap perfume". The question is not can Liberty do it, but why. Why do we have to pick any music that denigrates women, promotes getting high or promotes promiscuity? There is no viable reason when there are so many choices in any genre you could think of. I for one, enjoy tailgating in a spirited atmosphere that does not include the smell of beer, urine and smoke that I smell at N.C. State, UVA and other games that I have attended, and I don't think that profanity and tasteless music adds to my game day experience. I hope we don't lower standards there as well. There is no reason that we can't get loud with Lecrae, Tobymac, and secular musicians with clean lyrics. I hope this FBS thing does not cause us to totally abandon standards just for the sake of trying to "Fit In'.
I think there is a balance. Why there aren't any Skillet, TFK, Demonhunter, RED, P.O.D., and GAWVI songs played is beyond me. I would probably prefer a 70/30 split of Christian Music and clean secular music. Clean environment, and fewer lyrics the staff has to look through to verify. Keep the crowd pleasers like Don't Stop and Sweet Caroline, keep some dubstep drops that makes me wonder if the students can crack the foundation of the student section. Just add a lot more Christian alternative, hip hop, and rap.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I would bet 75% of the stadium couldn't tell you a popular song by any of the Christian artists mentioned here.
Are you saying that should be the standard? Play stuff they know?

I’m just trying to understand you.
JK37 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I would bet 75% of the stadium couldn't tell you a popular song by any of the Christian artists mentioned here.

Yes. I think the music should be clean and should be things that people know. Some songs that only students know and most of the Baptists don't is okay, but you can't do an entire game of that. You don't get excited for songs you're trying to learn on the spot.

One of my favorite things about our game day experience is how student-centric it is. I hope that never changes. The minute it does is the minute we stop getting 6500 students to games.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
The minute it does is the minute we stop getting 6500 students to games.
Can we just talk about turnout last Saturday? The students absolutely rocked it! Hopefully winning in that way made football addicts of all in attendance. They looked more than 6500 strong. I think there were students in the upper deck.
Jonathan Carone wrote:There may very well have been more than 6500 there this past week. That 6500 number was just closer to the average we get throughout the year.
Oh yeah, I agree that the average is around there. I am curious what the turn out will be for the Battle of Thermopylae.
JK37 wrote:

People like to hear stuff they know. They can sing along. They know the dance. They know where the beat drops. Etc. You can experiment with new stuff but the reality is that is how music is run at most events.
Class of 20Something wrote:They looked more than 6500 strong. I think there were students in the upper deck.
They were. I don't know if I mentioned this update before: I suggested to the ticket office that they provide "upgrade" tickets for those with Flames Kid Club members. Otherwise many of us are stuck buying "General Admission" tickets on the student side. On Wednesday late afternoon (before the first game), I received a phone call...

"We have heard from some of our Flames Kid Club families a desire to pay an 'upgrade' fee to allow them to sit in reserved seats on the west side of the stadium. Is that something you would be interested in?"

I nearly choked.

I am very glad they listened, albeit at the last minute. For $40 total (in addition to what was already paid) I was able to switch sides for 3 Kids Club members and two adults. We did sit on the East side for the first game because we had additional $5 tickets purchased for family out of town. Thankfully my brother-in-law was there very early (before having to evacuate) and secured really good seats. 20 minutes before game time, students were flooding the upper balcony into the "general admission" area. If I thought I would be fighting that each time, I would stay home.
And that is why I think the reserved tickets will sell better each game and each year. Once you fight GA, reserved becomes a lot more appealing

Thanks for the update. My daughter will be two during the next season but 2020 she'll need a purchased seat. Really prudent information.
alabama24 wrote:20 minutes before game time, students were flooding the upper balcony into the "general admission" area. If I thought I would be fighting that each time, I would stay home.
That's exactly why I bought reserved seats for the first time in my life this year. :oldhag
Yacht Rock wrote:
JK37 wrote:

People like to hear stuff they know. They can sing along. They know the dance. They know where the beat drops. Etc. You can experiment with new stuff but the reality is that is how music is run at most events.

We've got a station down here in Orlando that plays only Christian hip hop/R&B all day and they've recently expanded over to the east coast in the Melbourne area. Some of these artist are playing on mainstream radio. I hear NF a lot when I'm channel surfing. We're dropping the ball as a church (church meaning all of us as Christ followers) somewhere if we're struggling with this at Liberty of all places.
I thought about this the other day- when's the last time we held a concert after the football game or have we ever done it? I remember back in 2009 when Tait played a couple of songs during halftime at homecoming, but wasn't sure about anything else. I remember back in the late 90s and UCF was playing EMU for homecoming at the Citrus Bowl. Lenny Kravitz played afterward and most of the stadium including the field was filled, which was included for the $10 ticket.
Here's my thought as someone looking forward to returning to campus for homecoming next month.

I took the family to a couple games when we lived in Lynchburg. I barely pay any attention to the music unless it wad "Don't Stop Believin" or a song I recognized. When i go to the Idaho State game, I'll be too busy cherishing the moment and rooting for a Flames rout victory to notice mych anything else other than visiting the band before and after the halftime show. That being said, i would like to think that the university on the diploma behind me wouldn't go so far as to properly vet any music that is pumped through that sound system. I also would like to know that my next visit won't be with a pitchfork and gas can to torch the place with everyone else because they lost sight of Jerry Sr's and the University's mission.
As for the attire, i dont make comments about women's dress because it wouldn't be appropriate on my part regardless my marital status. Would i like to see the women staff dress more professionally? Absolutely, because in their job, they are a representative of the University. Im not going to sit there and judge them for it, but I would like to think that people in supervisory positions would be able to properly take them aside and remind them who they are representing when they wear those "booty shorts". Im not saying that they need knee length skirts and right white keds, but i am saying that they need to take better care of their appearance and attire so they can represent LU and still be fashion forward.
I have been working at the University for 13 years and have been working the football games for the last 11. Overall, the gameday experience has been improving. I personally do not have a problem with the music as we all have to remember that we will have chrisrians and non-christians there. We need to be current. I am not hear to get into a debate about music and the church. I think though, that we need to remeber it is not about rules but rather than a relationship that drawns people to God. He preached that.

As for students dress code, that only applies to building/class hours. That is clearly stated. The dress code has been slowly changing over the last 5-6 years in my opinion.

Athetics and the Security both have dress codes that help with identifying each group.
I noticed Saturday that some athletic staff did not dress as nice as in past seasons. Now granted they appeared to be student workers, but still they not dressed good for a game in my opinion. I think one assistant coach dressed down compared to previous seasons.

Ii will be interesting to hear what music Army plays. I will compare Army game day operations with Liberty's.
ballcoach15 wrote:I noticed Saturday that some athletic staff did not dress as nice as in past seasons. Now granted they appeared to be student workers, but still they not dressed good for a game in my opinion. I think one assistant coach dressed down compared to previous seasons.

Ii will be interesting to hear what music Army plays. I will compare Army game day operations with 's.
Never judge a coach by his clothes. :lol:

LSU

We better not need it. That win should be about im[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Yeah Reese Smith I think? There was another guy wh[…]

NMSU

Steenbergen was slated to be a starter was out all[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

No other demcrates with name recognition are tough[…]