Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Saturday takeaways: ODU

http://www.aseaofred.com/saturday-takeaways-odu/
In this article you mention Pickett and said, “he will be used in short yardage situations”. I hope you’re right because Matthews who had a fantastic game was used on back to back plays from inside the 5 ultimately slipping on his second attempt and was stuffed both times. We need Pickett to develop into that bruiser.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It took me awhile to see the little dots to get access to the gallery. I guess I'm getting old. But once I made it in, great pics!
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
One thing I didn’t think about until just now and it doesn’t really matter but if LaLa Davis were at the game which I’m assuming he traveled for it. I wonder if he questioned his decision after that beat down.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
He was there. He and another guy just looked lost standing on the sidelines. I wondered the same thing. He had to be questioning the decision a bit. I actually think it was a good thing for us in hindsight. It allowed us to go get 3 years of pickett and 2 years of mack.

Ive also heard he may not have been a great fit for the school but thats all heresay as its a lynchburg local who is a fan of a team that heritage stomped the last couple years.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:He was there. He and another guy just looked lost standing on the sidelines. I wondered the same thing. He had to be questioning the decision a bit. I actually think it was a good thing for us in hindsight. It allowed us to go get 3 years of pickett and 2 years of mack.

Ive also heard he may not have been a great fit for the school but thats all heresay as its a lynchburg local who is a fan of a team that heritage stomped the last couple years.
Yep. I am pumped for Mack to start playing next season. I really think next year we have a chance to be something special.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ODU coach said in Norfolk newspaper that ODU has a much better team than was on field Saturday. (or words to that effect. can't remember exact quote)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's great to be mentioned with those teams. If we can knock off a 7-5 record or better, just think of the attention we will get nationally.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:While that’s cool, it reminds me how busy our primary logo is.
I'm torn on this one. The plain LU logo is better when juxtaposed with these logos, but standalone, I think this is the better logo for helping people associate the letters LU with the Flames.

I think a decade could change that and we could resign ourselves to the plain LU.
By Jonathan Carone
That’s the biggest issue with our logo: the letter mark isn’t good enough on its own, the secondary logo is a little too abstract, and together it’s too busy.

I’d love if we could get to where we used the secondary on its own. One thing Coastal did that has worked well for them visually is drop the word mark and let the Chanticleer head logo stand on its own. I don’t know how well that’s worked from a marketing standpoint but it definitely looks better.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:While that’s cool, it reminds me how busy our primary logo is.
And it looks like the LU Eagles. Or LU Falcons
By Class of 20Something
It's not like they're going to change our mascot now. Even if they did, I don't think there is a stylized flame that wouldn't date itself immediately. I think the eagle is fine anyway. The baseball cap with just the flaming eagle is a piece of beauty.

The wallpaper schedule I shared a couple weeks ago used the secondary logo and looks fantastic.
By Jake Webb
Jonathan Carone wrote:That’s the biggest issue with our logo: the letter mark isn’t good enough on its own, the secondary logo is a little too abstract, and together it’s too busy.

I’d love if we could get to where we used the secondary on its own. One thing Coastal did that has worked well for them visually is drop the word mark and let the Chanticleer head logo stand on its own. I don’t know how well that’s worked from a marketing standpoint but it definitely looks better.
I don't think our monogram (LU standalone logo) is too weak to stand on it's own — I just don't think we quite have the tradition of athletic excellence yet. Look at the the first 5 logos on that list (ND, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, and VT). Those aren't necessarily impressive logos, they just provide a since of athletic excellence and tradition with them. LSU and VT's logo are far too horizontal and OU's isn't anything impressive. I like the 1:1 ratio that ND and Auburn have, though.

While I'm very pro on athletic institutions rocking a wordmark and keeping the mascot logos to the professional sports (marketing purposes for both), I do agree that our new (2013) secondary logo is my favorite that the University (mainly in an athletic realm) uses.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about but I really enjoy the design nerd talk. It educates us idiots that don't quite get it.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]