Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Shocked at the defensive performance. We seem to be 2 deep everywhere other than maybe corner. No idea why matthews was playing. He has shown nothing in 2 years. Wilson and faulks all day.

We bottled up the middle and made them go away from their stregnth which is very rare. Almsot all big games weve won have been shootouts.

Love to see pickett and matthews get the rb worj and leave bj at punt returner.

Stadium and atmosphere was awesome. Cant wait to see finished product.

That was as dominant a half as weve played against top flight teams.
By rtb72
Really fun game. The execution was excellent and after we found out what did and didn't work...I think Buckshot did his work. I also must say.....I do have a plate of crow regarding my comments on the running game. I know ODU is no Army, but the kids AND STAFF put their work in tonight. I'm proud of them and HOPE this is not going to end up like other seasons. Cautiously optimistic....
By LUDad
ballcoach15 wrote:How many ODU fans were there
Not sure but I saw at least six busses that transported OD fans to the game. The OD fans that I I talked with in line at the gate were really nice (of course that was before the game).
By Volunteer_Flame
Posts Posts
Tonight is one of those nights when I have a little extra pride in my school! Like I'm sure all of you honest folks, I was not expecting that kind of performance at all. I thought we had a chance to win a close game but the thought of a blowout never crossed my mind. The offense was very impressive to say the least, but i did expect that. The defense however was another huge surprise. They looked so much faster, better prepared, and stronger.

Not to live in this moment too much and have a knee jerk reaction, but the decision to move up even without a conference looks very good. Now the only problem I have is trying to manage my excitement and expectations for the rest of the year!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Some of those ODU buses were also carrying their marching band and their football team. I was actually surprised how FEW ODU fans I saw in the east side corner near the FOC, but they were sitting in both lower and upper deck, including their band.
No one has said it yet, but we are just FIVE WINS away from a bowl game! :woohoo
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:Some of those ODU buses were also carrying their marching band and their football team. I was actually surprised how FEW ODU fans I saw in the east side corner near the FOC, but they were sitting in both lower and upper deck, including their band.
No one has said it yet, but we are just FIVE WINS away from a bowl game! :woohoo
Five FBS wins. We will need to be 7-5 to get a bid assuming we beat both FCS games.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My favorite comment on the ODU board was a fan saying that their team was "out coached" by Turner Gill and his staff.

Also love this comment on the ODU board. This fan sounds like the ODU version of ballcoach.
This is worse than the UNC loss. Worse than Marshall and App St. Worse than VT. I do think its the worst in program history.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Fun fact:
Liberty University currently has the highest winning percentage in FBS history.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Dang it liberty I'm just so excited for next week. Please dont pull a liberty.

In my opinion a win next week would be the biggest ever.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I must be fair and say that I was impressed with the defensive effort tonight and thought the coaching staff did a very good job. That being said, that was the exact same way I felt after last years win against Baylor. We don't know how good ODU is, but for this game we were not out-coached, or out-hustled. The guys played with great effort and enthusiasm. Hopefully this will be the foundation for a good year ahead and we won't lay a giant turd after a big first-game win, like we did last year.
The new stadium looks fantastic and a lot of our fans stayed until the end. Very impressive. The suits were sweating bullets when the rain began about 90 minutes before scheduled kickoff. 8)
By LUDad
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Some of those ODU buses were also carrying their marching band and their football team. I was actually surprised how FEW ODU fans I saw in the east side corner near the FOC, but they were sitting in both lower and upper deck, including their band.
Five FBS wins. We will need to be 7-5 to get a bid assuming we beat both FCS games.
Actually, 3 more FBS wins and two FCS wuns will qualify us for a bowl. Our bowl agreement will ALMOST assure a bowl if we hit these marks.
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Actually, 3 more FBS wins and two FCS wuns will qualify us for a bowl. Our bowl agreement will ALMOST assure a bowl if we hit these marks.
That is incorrect.

The first two bylaws for exceptions do not apply to us. We are first eligible under the third exception.
A team in the second year of an FCS to FBS transfer "probationary period" that would have been eligible had it been a full FBS member.
We would need 5 FBS + 1 FCS to qualify under the conditional eligibility.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
AGG last touchdown and throwing the defender off him with one arm was pretty impressive
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:AGG last touchdown and throwing the defender off him with one arm was pretty impressive
I loved that so much. He pimped it afterward too.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:AGG last touchdown and throwing the defender off him with one arm was pretty impressive
I loved that so much. He pimped it afterward too.
And this goes back to the TV disconnect. Earlier when he scored he was described as ‘just going to work.’ ‘It’s a business trip’ ‘he just handed the ball to the offficial’...........while he’s jumping up and down with dudes on the sideline! Ugh

BUT one of my criticisms of The Coaching Staff was that it appeared they stymied any display of emotion from the players. That did not appear to be the case last night as several times I saw coaches and players doing jumping chest bumps etc. There’s a way to do it without taunting and I’m a big fan of it.
By Jonathan Carone
If you celebrate your accomplishment with your teammates and coaches, it’s not taunting or unsportsmanlike. I’m 100% for that type of celebration and encourage more of it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you celebrate your accomplishment with your teammates and coaches, it’s not taunting or unsportsmanlike. I’m 100% for that type of celebration and encourage more of it.
You and me both. But several times in past years this type of celebration seemed actively discouraged. I’m thinking of Buckshots td against Baylor
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you celebrate your accomplishment with your teammates and coaches, it’s not taunting or unsportsmanlike. I’m 100% for that type of celebration and encourage more of it.
I totally agree, but based on York´s call, this was not a celebration. It also happened when the game was well out of hand (after the Lewis fumble recovery) and probably came across as ¨rubbing it in¨.
Last edited by olldflame on September 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
You and me both. But several times in past years this type of celebration seemed actively discouraged. I’m thinking of Buckshots td against Baylor
Well buckshots td against Baylor he was showboating running into the end zone, that’s why gill shut it down. I actually agreed with coach there. Celebrate after the score, don’t showboat before crossing the line.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Well buckshots td against Baylor he was showboating running into the end zone, that’s why gill shut it down. I actually agreed with coach there. Celebrate after the score, don’t showboat before crossing the line.
I disagree. It was a spontaneous joyful reaction. Was there a flag? Nope. Then not showboating. IMO, he shut that down too hard. And it’s happened a couple of other times. I don’t think you would have seen the type of celebrations on the sideline the last couple of years. I would argue AGG’s statue pose over the defender after the TD with the game out of hand was more showboating than what Calvert did and I have a problem with neither.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I loved how AGG handled that. Apparently that DB had been talking smack to him the whole game. he caught the ball, swatted the DB away like a fly with one hand and then just stood there for a couple of seconds before sprinting to the sideline and chest-bumping DeArmon.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It was the equivalent of a bat flip and staring down a 500 foot home run. I want more. Give me excitement, not forced stoic scowls.
See? We can hang out and be friends :D
By LUDad
A team in the second year of an FCS to FBS transfer "probationary period" that would have been eligible had it been a full FBS member.

We would need 5 FBS + 1 FCS to qualify under the conditional eligibility.
Actually it is under the 5th rule that we obtain eligibility. For us to go to a bowl, there is an assumption that there are NOT enough teams available to go bowling under the first four sets of conditional rules. Under rule 5, as long as we have at least a 6/6 record we qualify as bowl eligible. Prior rules (which no other team has apparently qualified under) allows two FCS wins. The whole purpose of the various contengencies is that 1. The NCAA can fill all bowl slots 2. That the slots are filled in order of most deserving.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]