Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Students rushed the field. SMH

-Offensive line looked really good. ODU has a very good Defensive line with an NFL prospect.

-Defensive is much improved. JuCo's had a major Impact.

-Malik Mathews is a huge weakness. Got beat almost every play. If ODU had an accurate QB his guy would've had 2 TD's. Add the fact he can't tackle.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PxP Guy was good
Color guy.....
Scruggs got in and made some plays
This, to me, was a No Brainer Win. The trials and tribulations of the Season start next week. But it’s nice to know you start your FBS ERA with a win. No one can take that away
By Jonathan Carone
It would’ve been a totally different game had they hit those two field goals or connected on one of the wide open TD passes in the first half.

But they didn’t.

And we took advantage of it.

And we broke their will.

We’ve never done that under Turner Gill before.

Let’s build on it.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
VERY glad we didn't pay $1.2 million for ODU to drive to Lynchburg and beat us.

Impressed with the defense. Impressed with the up-tempo offense that let the running game work - the opposite of what I had been thinking. That's why I'm not a coach ;)

Now to shift gears and beat Army next week.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:VERY glad we didn't pay $1.3 million for ODU to drive to Lynchburg and beat us.

Impressed with the defense. Impressed with the up-tempo offense that let the running game work - the opposite of what I had been thinking. That's why I'm not a coach ;)

By ElmersTwin
Jonathan Carone wrote:It would’ve been a totally different game had they hit those two field goals or connected on one of the wide open TD passes in the first half.

But they didn’t.

And we broke their will.

Let’s build on it.
Onward to Army.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
VERY glad we didn't pay $1.3 million for ODU to drive to Lynchburg and beat us.

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Next week is when the real test begins...and anyone can remember how badly we have done against the TO...and Hopkins (the starting qb) threw the ball 21 times last night...for a team that had a few games where they attempted zero passes in the last couple years
By BigRed1
It’s great to get the win, but can’t forget after the win against Baylor last year the wheels feel off. Still not convinced that Gill can put together a successful full season.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You guys should think about West Point starting tomorrow. Let's soak up a HUGE in-state victory that demonstrated some surprising improvements on both the fronts. That defensive performance even against a suspect O without its best back did what we haven't been able to do consistently in a couple of years. Lemonier was everywhere even when he wasn't making the play himself. Considering the number of key players on defense who had limited action for one reason or another and I am stunned at their performance tonight.

Offensively, these are the type of numbers I hope we aspire toward the rest of the season:

Buck didn't make suspect passes and made the smart choices on his opportunities. This is the kind of effort we should expect from a kid this talented in his junior season. If we can get any semblance of a running game our passing attack is going to be tough to contain for most of our opppnents. Tonight the Texan JUCOs gave us what we needed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:You guys should think about West Point starting tomorrow. Let's soak up a HUGE in-state victory that demonstrated some surprising improvements on both the fronts. That defensive performance even against a suspect O without its best back did what we haven't been able to do consistently in a couple of years. Lemonier was everywhere even when he wasn't making the play himself. Considering the number of key players on defense who had limited action for one reason or another and I am stunned at their performance tonight.

Offensively, these are the type of numbers I hope we aspire toward the rest of the season:

Buck didn't make suspect passes and made the smart choices on his opportunities. This is the kind of effort we should expect from a kid this talented in his junior season. If we can get any semblance of a running game our passing attack is going to be tough to contain for most of our opppnents. Tonight the Texan JUCOs gave us what we needed.
Thanks Board Sheriff. I mean we’ve seen this before. We can be both happy and nervous at the same time.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Like some have said already... I want to be excited about this. I should be happy. But I’ve seen this show before. I’ve gotten my hopes up before. Now if we beat army... i might start believing it’s real.
By LUDad
Best defensive effort I have seen from Liberty. A few missed arm tackles but even then support was there to cleanup.
By LUDad
BJWilliams wrote:Next week is when the real test begins...and anyone can remember how badly we have done against the TO...and Hopkins (the starting qb) threw the ball 21 times last night...for a team that had a few games where they attempted zero passes in the last couple years
We win if they throw 21 times. That happened because they were behind and Duke's defense was effective against the run.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
As a guy who lives down the street from ODU and has to hear all of the yapping by Monarch fans all the time, I *really* appreciated the effort by the good guys tonight. If you want to have some fun, go over to the ODU board and read the game thread from the beginning when they started making predictions. It's actually hilarious.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:It would’ve been a totally different game had they hit those two field goals or connected on one of the wide open TD passes in the first half.

But they didn’t.

And we broke their will.

Let’s build on it.
Nice to have LU not having the woulda, coulda, shoulda game.
By cruzan_flame13
I was jumping around at the wedding dinner that I attended tonight. I knew LU had the means for victory. That being said, we know what usually occurs after the first game. Hopefully the momentum is still going as those boys head to West Point. But for now, let’s take a little break and enjoy the win.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
You should check out the ODU board: https://csnbbs.com/forum-688.html

Some of their fans are ready to fire their entire coaching staff. Others are praising our students and our stadium, and still others want a rematch in the worse way.

If JB were still here, he would be offering HCTG a lifetime contract (and maybe he deserves one after tonight!).
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I saw a lot of the same weaknesses I've seen for years with Turner Gill lead teams in the 1st half. Then something happened in the 2nd half that hasn't happened with TG. We got better in the 2nd half.

It was encouraging and such a fun way to start life at the FBS level.

I still think we win 3 or 4 games tops but we may be better than I thought.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]