Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Yep, 3 wins is realistic. Anything less will be disappointing and anything more would be exciting since it would be considered an upset victory given, I think, we are underdogs in every game except the 3 FCS games.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Yep, 3 wins is realistic. Anything less will be disappointing and anything more would be exciting since it would be considered an upset victory given, I think, we are underdogs in every game except the 3 FCS games.
We are only playing 2 FCS opponents.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Three. You forgot Virginia.
Ouch
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
IF we beat ODU and UVa this year, are we the clear cut 2nd best team in the state?
No
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
No...not by a longshot
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:IF we beat ODU and UVa this year, are we the clear cut 2nd best team in the state?
Maybe not "clear cut," but we can sure market it that way to prospective in-state recruits. :fineprint
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
IF we beat ODU and UVa this year, are we the clear cut 2nd best team in the state?
How about if we beat UVA and ODU and ODU beats Tech in Norfolk :lol:
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:
The state would melt down.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And JMU never wins a game. :koolaid
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think I’d put us above Richmond now but we are definitely fifth at best.
I really hope we can tweak that order at the end of the season. But I agree with you on current standings.
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:What has happened since the end of last November that would make us better than richmond, or heck, even William and Mary?
I think it depends on how you look at it. Richmond probably has the better team than us. I’d rank our program higher simply for all the off the field things we have going for us.

Even if we beat ODU this year, I’d still think their program was better than ours until we prove it’s not a one game fluke.

It’s all so subjective. Your justifications for Richmond being higher than us are all solid and I can’t argue with them. I just view it slightly different.

The one thing we can agree on is that we are no better than fifth.
By Jonathan Carone
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think I’d put us above Richmond now but we are definitely fifth at best.
I really hope we can tweak that order at the end of the season. But I agree with you on current standings.
It’ll take us more than one season to jump any of the four ahead of us.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My former pastor's son will be the new kicker/punter for Richmond this year. I have no idea if he was recruited by LU or not.

https://richmondspiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2949
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
If that happens I will wake you up from your dream. 8)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:What has happened since the end of last November that would make us better than richmond, or heck, even William and Mary?
The only thing I could see is that they lost their QB. (I think he was drafted in the late rounds, but not sure. He did sign with a NFL team, either as a draftee or a FA). In addition, we have more bodies. Most of them are at least good FCS level players. Of course, we would get out-coached. 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JMU is better than UVA. If they played, JMU would probably win by 14 or more.

Sidebar: I despise both teams.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:JMU is better than UVA. If they played, JMU would probably win by 14 or more.

Sidebar: I despise both teams.
I would have given you that argument last year. Not this year. JMU lost two key players and is expected to start Pitt transfer, Ben Dinucci at QB.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
For what it's worth, our top ten is as follows:

1. VT
2. UVA
3. ODU
4. JMU
5. Liberty
6. Richmond
7. Norfolk State
8. W&M
9. Hampton
10. VMI

I'll throw some reasoning out there too. UVA returns a solid WR core, and will start JUCO transfer Bryce Perkins at QB. Bryce will allow Mendenhall to utilize a more option style of attack.

ODU went 5-7 last year with a tough schedule and started a 17 year old at QB. They return the QB and 17 starters, which includes Jeremy Cox and Jordan Young.

JMU loses possibly the best QB and best DE in the history of their program. They do have one of the best secondaries in the country (possibly including FBS teams), and have the best backfield in the state.

There were other factors into ranking teams where we did, but those are the main ones. Regardless, UVA and ODU both play very competitive schedules. So, there is certainly the possibility of some shuffling early in the year.

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]