Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
The Army game is a bit different than most. A ton of History in one location. I just tweeted the Flames club to inquire if they are contemplating to arrange a Flames Club bus tour of the Point and if they can arrange an area for Flames fans for the Cadet Parade at 9am. My supposition is that it may too much for the Flames club to arrange all of this but I thought I would give it a shot.
I know, if you suggest it arrange it. If the Flames club is not in the position to do this how many of us would be interested in this?

Would the preference be Friday or Sunday for a bus tour? After the game? After the game is a tough one to predict.

Also, we need to hammer Army. We will most likely be upper level. We are payong more for our tickets than they are selling them for single game .... and ... on the scale of single game tickets we are the lowest draw price wise ... even worse than the Rainbows.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In the past, we have done bus trips to both Stony Brook and Coastal. Old Flame and HMO were instrumental in arranging those. I would hope a trip to Army, with us being FBS, would be an even bigger sell for Flame Fans.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:The Army game is a bit different than most. A ton of History in one location. I just tweeted the Flames club to inquire if they are contemplating to arrange a Flames Club bus tour of the Point and if they can arrange an area for Flames fans for the Cadet Parade at 9am. My supposition is that it may too much for the Flames club to arrange all of this but I thought I would give it a shot.
I know, if you suggest it arrange it. If the Flames club is not in the position to do this how many of us would be interested in this?

Would the preference be Friday or Sunday for a bus tour? After the game? After the game is a tough one to predict.

Also, we need to hammer Army. We will most likely be upper level. We are payong more for our tickets than they are selling them for single game .... and ... on the scale of single game tickets we are the lowest draw price wise ... even worse than the Rainbows.
You do realize they run the option like KSU? And we will probably defend them like we are playing the pass-happy NE Patriots. 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Flameshaw, you need to take your wet blanket and hang it on the line or hit it with this. :flamethrower
By CCWMichael
You do realize they run the option like KSU? And we will probably defend them like we are playing the pass-happy NE Patriots. 8)
Even my low on the pole Dolphins can beat the Patsies every now and again.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We have shown zero ability to stop any form of the option whatsoever under wimberley. Now were going to suddenly stop one of the top 2 fbs option teams? :lol:

We will have to score 60 to win that game. Maybe more.
By Class of 20Something
I just have a feeling this is the year. What if, because they're week two, we spend some of training camp working on how to stop the TO? The freshman will see them again at Home in 2021.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
DC should have a scheme for stopping triple option.

along with off tackle runs, sweeps, QB keepers and passing attacks. Not just Army, but every team on schedule.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Somebody should shout out to LU Alumni as well. I suspect they will be working this rare game near NYC pretty hard as well.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Flameshaw, you need to take your wet blanket and hang it on the line or hit it with this. :flamethrower
I do not recall us ever winning against a team that ran the option, under any coach. (Maybe KSU, the first year they ever played football, don't remember how committed to the option they were at the time). I might have forgot one, but .....................
Maybe if you can help me understand/remind how we have played effective defense against an option team, it would help me to understand better. TIA.
"Wet blanket" just equals reality, nothing more, nothing less. For sure, our preparation against such teams has been sorely lacking under the present staff.
Finally, you do realize that we have probably never played against a triple option team like Army? Certainly not one of their caliber. Not saying we can't win, we beat BU last year, when no one thought we could/would. But the way we have played defense the last several years, gives us very little to none. Who knows, maybe after six years we will decide to play defense. Anything is possible.................................. I guess. 8)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
As I mentioned, I could have forgotten one. :) VMI passed a lot more than most "option" teams like Army and KSU, but none the less I will concede the point on VMI.
Bottom line, LU has never had a defensive-minded coach, with the possible exception of Rock Royer and he was our coach for only a year. MH and DR were probably the next closest. Our better athletes/players have been on the offensive side of the ball for the most part. It seems to have been by design based on the guys that we recruited. Kinda the opposite of what McKay is doing in basketball.
As mentioned above, maybe something will change, but so far, we have never been well prepared to play an option team under the current staff and we haven't played a team that plays the triple option like Army. Win or lose, I would just like to see us prepared and look like we are expecting them to run the option, unlike KSU last year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For your sake, Ballcoach, I hope BK is catering the event.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:BK is literally all over the world. That comment seemed odd coming from such a huge BK fan.
Consider the #source
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When I go north of Lynchburg, it's like leaving the country.

But hopefully my route will keep me west of NYC,
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I think Balcoach told me he's never been north of Charlottesville. :shock:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]