Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
phoenix wrote:https://herosports.com/college-football ... tlook-aiai
After I read it, I wondered which forum member wrote it! :rofl

"If the Flames maximize their talent and catch a few breaks, a seven- to eight-win campaign (or more) during its transitional year is entirely doable. "
I mean, he could be the ONE national writer in the country to get it right if they do. Everyone will forget if he gets it wrong.
By Jonathan Carone
It's great to see the flattering stuff, but it's obvious it was written based off Turner Gill's name recognition and not his ability to coach.
Leadership at the top is critical for any major college football program, but this is especially so when navigating the challenging waters of transitioning divisions.

Thankfully the Flames are led by a head coach with a cavern of experience.

Turner Gill took a struggling Buffalo team and led it to MAC East Division titles in 2007 and 2008 and an outright conference championship in 2008. He then gained valuable Power 5 experience at Kansas before joining his current team in 2012. While in the Big South Conference, Gill's teams finished tied for first on four occasions and made it to the second round of the FCS playoffs in 2014.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:After I read it, I wondered which forum member wrote it! :rofl
Well, I knew it wasn't Flameshaw. :blahblah
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
phoenix wrote:After I read it, I wondered which forum member wrote it! :rofl
Well, I knew it wasn't Flameshaw. :blahblah
For sure. There isn't enough kool-aid in the world to think we could win 8 games this year. If we do, then TG deserves COY award. I wouldn't go get my suit pressed, expecting the presentation anytime soon. I hope we will them all, but you have to be realistic. Based on the 6 previous years..............................
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:

"If the Flames maximize their talent and catch a few breaks, a seven- to eight-win campaign (or more) during its transitional year is entirely doable. "
I mean, he could be the ONE national writer in the country to get it right if they do. Everyone will forget if he gets it wrong.
I have a bet with my wife and son that the Flames will win seven games this year. I am predicting losses to Army, North Texas, Troy, Auburn, and Virginia.

ODU's 5-7 record last year, their preseason positioning in C-USA polls this year, and the excitement of the Flames' first FBS home game in a renovated stadium led me to declare that game a victory for the Flames.

They should beat their FCS opponents, Norfolk State and Idaho State.

New Mexico's FBS teams are struggling financially and on the field, and UMass has had an atrocious record since joining the FBS (14-58). We could split with New Mexico State, giving us six wins, but that would eliminate the possibility of going to the Cure Bowl should a slot be available, since we need at least six wins and at least five of them must be FBS.

As for the losses:

1) Army - Triple option. Enough said.
2) North Texas - 9-5 record and C-USA West champion
3) Troy - 11-2 record, Sun Belt co-champion, defeated LSU during the regular season and crushed North Texas in the bowl game
4) Auburn - It would be an act of God if we won
5) Virginia - Not a football thing. I just think their fans and their aura are too much for us the first time around.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:

I have a bet with my wife and son that the Flames will win seven games this year. I am predicting losses to Army, North Texas, Troy, Auburn, and Virginia.

ODU's 5-7 record last year, their preseason positioning in C-USA polls this year, and the excitement of the Flames' first FBS home game in a renovated stadium led me to declare that game a victory for the Flames.

They should beat their FCS opponents, Norfolk State and Idaho State.

New Mexico's FBS teams are struggling financially and on the field, and UMass has had an atrocious record since joining the FBS (14-58). We could split with New Mexico State, giving us six wins, but that would eliminate the possibility of going to the Cure Bowl should a slot be available, since we need at least six wins and at least five of them must be FBS.

As for the losses:

1) Army - Triple option. Enough said.
2) North Texas - 9-5 record and C-USA West champion
3) Troy - 11-2 record, Sun Belt co-champion, defeated LSU during the regular season and crushed North Texas in the bowl game
4) Auburn - It would be an act of God if we won
5) Virginia - Not a football thing. I just think their fans and their aura are too much for us the first time around.
MAYBE, if we can hire the Ram's front 4 and get a new HC prior to 9/1/18. I hope you didn't bet them a whole lot. As a 25+ year season ticket holder, I hope I am wrong too. Hate to go to games when our season is already in the toilet.
New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]