Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was watching the late news tonight and they called us one of the "easy" games on the road to bowl eligibility for UVa...as they were picked last in their division of the ACC...
BJWilliams wrote:I was watching the late news tonight and they called us one of the "easy" games on the road to bowl eligibility for UVa...as they were picked last in their division of the ACC...
Ehh I think we "should" be one of their easy games, but we all know that we are going to be playing spoiler for 10 games this year. Uva does have NCSU and tech on the road this year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
UVA didn’t schedule LU because they thought it was going to be a toss up game, tough game or a loss
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know PH. I just was pointing out what I heard last night. Would be awesome to spoil their march to a bowl game
By tyndal23
Example of strategic future scheduling - if you play a G5 on the road, what does it get us ? Is it in a recruiting hot bed? Rather than WKU - why not Vanderbilt? - lower end SEC team, better recruiting area and actually closer? Army, ODU, UMass are pretty much built in to cover potential rivalry and home and homes- no need for more G5 unless located in CA, TX, FL. If you don't have a slot for CA Pac 10 school 1 year, then go to San Diego State for your opener...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Example of strategic future scheduling - if you play a G5 on the road, what does it get us ? Is it in a recruiting hot bed? Rather than WKU - why not Vanderbilt? - lower end SEC team, better recruiting area and actually closer? Army, ODU, UMass are pretty much built in to cover potential rivalry and home and homes- no need for more G5 unless located in CA, TX, FL. If you don't have a slot for CA Pac 10 school 1 year, then go to San Diego State for your opener...
You are throwing out names of opponents like all we have to do is wish for it and they will play us. For the most part, they won´t. Even assuming they would, we need to be at a point where it is realistic for us to think we can win those games before we schedule a bunch of them. Ian and Mickey are doing an amazing job with the scheduling. I look at where we are with that already after only a year and a half, and it is mind blowing. Hopefully they are paying no attention to the guys behind the curtain.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I know PH. I just was pointing out what I heard last night. Would be awesome to spoil their march to a bowl game
Not directed at you at all Beej. I know you totally understand how it works! :D Others.....
By tyndal23
You schedule like G5 - you get G5 talen, period. You schedule 2025 like BYU - your ,2021-24 recruiting classes are seeing "you get to go play here, here and here" 7 P5 schools in 4 different conferences in one year. And we play one by your family in CA, TX, FL every year...come on board Mr. 4 star. ( and stating "how it works" - go back and read how it" could work" if you aren't focused on $, are an Independent, have a National appeal based on Evangelical / Conservative ideology, top 10 campus, $ to get and retain an elite staff, -( all pointed out higher up on this thread ) And for the 10th time, great job scheduling for who we are now and last minute. If you wait until you have "proven yourself" with lesser recruits against lesser talent, your schedule 7 years out is locked in with G5/regional philosophy. ( I guess you could buy out and upgrade ). Name one P5 team that "wouldnt" play us if $ wasn't a factor to LU and tell me why.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:You schedule like G5 - you get G5 talen, period. You schedule 2025 like BYU - your ,2021-24 recruiting classes are seeing "you get to go play here, here and here" 7 P5 schools in 4 different conferences in one year. And we play one by your family in CA, TX, FL every year...come on board Mr. 4 star. ( and stating "how it works" - go back and read how it" could work" if you aren't focused on $, are an Independent, have a National appeal based on Evangelical / Conservative ideology, top 10 campus, $ to get and retain an elite staff, -( all pointed out higher up on this thread ) And for the 10th time, great job scheduling for who we are now and last minute. If you wait until you have "proven yourself" with lesser recruits against lesser talent, your schedule 7 years out is locked in with G5/regional philosophy. ( I guess you could buy out and upgrade ). Name one P5 team that "wouldnt" play us if $ wasn't a factor to LU and tell me why.
But $$ IS a factor. It’s THE factor. Why would Texas or USC play in Lynchburg? Why would Ohio St or Michigan with 100k plus stadiums come to Lynchburg?
On the other side of the coin why would a team like Baylor or someone of similar talent come here to play across country? Although I would LOVE to see Washington St at the moment.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:You schedule like G5 - you get G5 talen, period. You schedule 2025 like BYU - your ,2021-24 recruiting classes are seeing "you get to go play here, here and here" 7 P5 schools in 4 different conferences in one year. And we play one by your family in CA, TX, FL every year...come on board Mr. 4 star. ( and stating "how it works" - go back and read how it" could work" if you aren't focused on $, are an Independent, have a National appeal based on Evangelical / Conservative ideology, top 10 campus, $ to get and retain an elite staff, -( all pointed out higher up on this thread ) And for the 10th time, great job scheduling for who we are now and last minute. If you wait until you have "proven yourself" with lesser recruits against lesser talent, your schedule 7 years out is locked in with G5/regional philosophy. ( I guess you could buy out and upgrade ). Name one P5 team that "wouldnt" play us if $ wasn't a factor to LU and tell me why.
But $$ IS a factor. It’s THE factor. Why would Texas or USC play in Lynchburg? Why would Ohio St or Michigan with 100k plus stadiums come to Lynchburg?
On the other side of the coin why would a team like Baylor or someone of similar talent come here to play across country? Although I would LOVE to see Washington St at the moment.
This...if nothing else, we will be paying a lot of travel expenses (or seeing a lot of whatever money we get going toward travel expenses) in order to play even mid-lower tier P5 schools. Getting Syracuse to come to us was a major coup in and of itself
By amar0819
Just throwing this out there because I'm selfish and would love for Liberty to come to Charlotte to play. But is there a reason we haven't gotten them on the schedule yet? Could be a potential local rival as well....even though their program has been a joke...but would be a good pick me up game for Liberty.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If LU wants to play a lower-tier school from a P5 conference, I would think WVU would love to only have to travel 6 hours for an away game, instead of going to Texas or Oklahoma.
By tyndal23
this may post twice, ( not sure why reply doesn't work for me but quick reply does ) - PURPLE - these are 1 off road games with no expected return to Lynchburg, scheduled specifically for National Recruiting in CA ( pac 10 ) TX ( Big 12 ) and 1 Big 10. and only having 5 home games and 7 road games ( hopefully 3 G5 and 2 P5 in a good year ) 1 home game only in September - your on the road playing all the P5 schools you can in their Non Con scheduleYou can schedule this way 2025-30 and turn it in to 6 home games after that once your brand is National and bigger teams more willing to come to your now 40k seat stadium vs 25k seat stadium.
tyndal23 wrote:this may post twice, ( not sure why reply doesn't work for me but quick reply does ) - PURPLE - these are 1 off road games with no expected return to Lynchburg, scheduled specifically for National Recruiting in CA ( pac 10 ) TX ( Big 12 ) and 1 Big 10. and only having 5 home games and 7 road games ( hopefully 3 G5 and 2 P5 in a good year ) 1 home game only in September - your on the road playing all the P5 schools you can in their Non Con scheduleYou can schedule this way 2025-30 and turn it in to 6 home games after that once your brand is National and bigger teams more willing to come to your now 40k seat stadium vs 25k seat stadium.
I don't think they want to recruit nationally yet. Liberty's recruiting profile is Texas, Deep South, Mid Atlantic.

https://bit.ly/2A3H132

There is no reason to change it. We are already recruiting where the talent is. Home and homes with UAB, Louisiana, ULM, and the entire ACC is where high school recruits are.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:If LU wants to play a HIGH POWERED school from a P5 conference, I would think WVU would love to only have to travel 6 hours for an away game, instead of going to Texas or Oklahoma.
FIFY :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:this may post twice, ( not sure why reply doesn't work for me but quick reply does ) - PURPLE - these are 1 off road games with no expected return to Lynchburg, scheduled specifically for National Recruiting in CA ( pac 10 ) TX ( Big 12 ) and 1 Big 10. and only having 5 home games and 7 road games ( hopefully 3 G5 and 2 P5 in a good year ) 1 home game only in September - your on the road playing all the P5 schools you can in their Non Con scheduleYou can schedule this way 2025-30 and turn it in to 6 home games after that once your brand is National and bigger teams more willing to come to your now 40k seat stadium vs 25k seat stadium.
I misunderstood. I thought you were advocating for P5’s to come here.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know JB would not have been a fan of an unbalanced schedule unless it was more home games, but I reckon IM wouldn't want to lose the gate from a 6th home game either
By tyndal23
CA HS Christian School talent is major and worth 1 game a year or 2 out there. Gate revenue? LU doesn't break even on a home game with payout and our current ticket prices. LU has 100k online students nationwide- I ran in to a group at Baylor decked out in LU gear that never stepped foot on the campus but graduated online. You have to also view this as bigger than the Athletic Budget if you are JFJR. When you do P5 or strategic G5 in recruiting areas - hammer the local air time with Ads for LU, LU Football and LU Online. G5 Conferences closed the door on us - why play them unless we get some type of benefit ( N Texas - yes - great trip to be in DFW Metroplex ) WKU ? what do we get nationally if we win or lose that game? Again, I am talking about tweaking 2-3 games differently from our 2020 schedule in 2025-2030. That is 7 seasons after adjusting to FBS. As an out of state fan, I am flying to CA, TX, MI see a P5 opponent, not flying to KY or Lynchburg to see WKU. FCS game - 1/3 of the stadium empty - why play it ? You can even argue that with 5 home games you will get better crowds for each one.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There are mornings where I second guess my late fatherhood strategy as well. HaHa

Actually Harbaugh was pushing for a 16-team playoff in media day discussions this week.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:There are mornings where I second guess my late fatherhood strategy as well. HaHa

Actually Harbaugh was pushing for a 16-team playoff in media day discussions this week.
Does anyone take Harbaugh seriously in this type of discussion anymore?
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:As a former LU player and college fan I understand where we are as a program. frankly I didn’t want to go FBS if it meant Sunbelt or any G5. Would rather stay FCS. I like Independent and it gives us a ton of flexibility. My question is simply what is the master plan and how do we get there? I really don’t think JR wants to be Umass or Army but rather BYU or ND. To do that 10-15 yrs from now u have to schedule that way today ( 2025-30). When u are recruiting kids from all over the nation top Christian schools who are 4* kids with P5 offers your schedule weighs in a lot on their decision.
How long did it take ND to be what we think of as ND? "Between 1887 and 1899 Notre Dame compiled a record of 31 wins, 15 losses, and four ties against a diverse variety of opponents ranging from local high school teams to other universities."
That's the first 12 years of Notre Dame football. Of course, they had the advantage that everyone else was just starting out too -- organized collegiate football didn't really happen until about 1906. It wasn't until the Rockne era that Notre Dame football gained national respect - and Knute Rockne ain't coming out of the tunnel at Williams Stadium any time soon.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]