Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Playing ND was Jerry Sr's vision because they used to be good and Catholic - I am only using ND and BYU as examples because they are Independent just like LU and only way to a playoff is to run the table or 1 loss on a year they have the SOS ( strength of schedule). ND already did it in current format - BYU schedule is tough, but not enough to make 4 team playoff. LU will never get to ND status in current 4 team format, but an 8 team playoff with best G5/ Independent autobid gives LU a lot of latitude. Example you played 7 P5 Schools ( of any caliber ) and a couple had top 25 rankings at some point in the season and there are no undefeated G5 teams and ND and BYU have worse records. G5 Conference Champions that are not undefeated will have the problem of only playing 2-3 P5 teams due to their conference schedule. A top 10 schedule every year ( after studying more before I started this thread ) isn't required in this scenario, but it has to be strong enough to beat out G5 conference champs and hope BYU, ND have an off year when LU has a great season. To do that, you have to Master plan it with scheduling 7 years out as best you can. If you don't get the recruits to pull it off, you do run the risk of not making a crappy bowl with 6 wins against 1 FCS and 7 G5 teams - so what is the vision and which model do you follow. And yes, will probably get smoked by Bama, OKlahoma,Clemson 1st round of playoffs - but I would much rather have a shot on paper to get to a playoff and play recognizable teams 8 games a year vs 3-4.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Playing ND was Jerry Sr's vision because they used to be good and Catholic - I am only using ND and BYU as examples because they are Independent just like LU and only way to a playoff is to run the table or 1 loss on a year they have the SOS ( strength of schedule). ND already did it in current format - BYU schedule is tough, but not enough to make 4 team playoff. LU will never get to ND status in current 4 team format, but an 8 team playoff with best G5/ Independent autobid gives LU a lot of latitude. Example you played 7 P5 Schools ( of any caliber ) and a couple had top 25 rankings at some point in the season and there are no undefeated G5 teams and ND and BYU have worse records. G5 Conference Champions that are not undefeated will have the problem of only playing 2-3 P5 teams due to their conference schedule. A top 10 schedule every year ( after studying more before I started this thread ) isn't required in this scenario, but it has to be strong enough to beat out G5 conference champs and hope BYU, ND have an off year when LU has a great season. To do that, you have to Master plan it with scheduling 7 years out as best you can. If you don't get the recruits to pull it off, you do run the risk of not making a crappy bowl with 6 wins against 1 FCS and 7 G5 teams - so what is the vision and which model do you follow. And yes, will probably get smoked by Bama, OKlahoma,Clemson 1st round of playoffs - but I would much rather have a shot on paper to get to a playoff and play recognizable teams 8 games a year vs 3-4.
All I see is you are expecting LU to have a better season than UCF did this past year
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The thing is, any P5 school that could "move the meter (or turnstile as it were)" isnt going to travel here right now, and fewer still are going to want us to come to them right now because, as was our difficulty as an FCS squad, a game with us is risky at best. The benefits from a win do not outweigh the cost of a potential loss even 7 years hence at this juncture. Now, if we can get things off to a reasonable start in these first few years, you could see someone like a Florida or Alabama or Clemson or USC or even Nebraska or Penn State or Michigan take notice and we could be looking at a trip to some of the "cathedrals of college football" down the line. For now, we do what we are doing now, get the foundation laid (which suffice it to say will probably include a new head coach) and get ourselves to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game in my view
By cruzan_flame13
BJWilliams wrote:The thing is, any P5 school that could "move the meter (or turnstile as it were)" isnt going to travel here right now, and fewer still are going to want us to come to them right now because, as was our difficulty as an FCS squad, a game with us is risky at best. The benefits from a win do not outweigh the cost of a potential loss even 7 years hence at this juncture. Now, if we can get things off to a reasonable start in these first few years, you could see someone like a Florida or Alabama or Clemson or USC or even Nebraska or Penn State or Michigan take notice and we could be looking at a trip to some of the "cathedrals of college football" down the line. For now, we do what we are doing now, get the foundation laid (which suffice it to say will NEED a new head coach) and get ourselves to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game in my view

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Purple Haize wrote: All I see is you are expecting LU to have a better season than UCF did this past year
I think what he is saying is that because we are in total control of our Strength of Schedule, we can posture toward earning an eventual CFP at large for the G5 by scheduling tougher schedules than any GOT is capable of. Any team in a conference can't schedule 6 P5 games because of their conference schedule, but we can.

For example of "weighing down" our SoS. We play two FCS schools this season. But we also play an ACC and SEC school that makes our 2018 SoS more difficult than 7 of the 10 Sun belt Schools.

That isn't to say there aren't hurdles in the short term, just thinking two or three steps ahead.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:The thing is, any P5 school that could "move the meter (or turnstile as it were)" isnt going to travel here right now, and fewer still are going to want us to come to them right now because, as was our difficulty as an FCS squad, a game with us is risky at best. The benefits from a win do not outweigh the cost of a potential loss even 7 years hence at this juncture. Now, if we can get things off to a reasonable start in these first few years, you could see someone like a Florida or Alabama or Clemson or USC or even Nebraska or Penn State or Michigan take notice and we could be looking at a trip to some of the "cathedrals of college football" down the line. For now, we do what we are doing now, get the foundation laid (which suffice it to say will NEED a new head coach) and get ourselves to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game in my view

Don't put words in my mouth CF. I DIDN'T say need
By cruzan_flame13
BJWilliams wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

You didn’t say it, but deep down in your subconscious mind you know it’s true :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

Yeah, that was kind of a :BS move
By amar0819
BJWilliams wrote:The thing is, any P5 school that could "move the meter (or turnstile as it were)" isnt going to travel here right now, and fewer still are going to want us to come to them right now because, as was our difficulty as an FCS squad, a game with us is risky at best. The benefits from a win do not outweigh the cost of a potential loss even 7 years hence at this juncture. Now, if we can get things off to a reasonable start in these first few years, you could see someone like a Florida or Alabama or Clemson or USC or even Nebraska or Penn State or Michigan take notice and we could be looking at a trip to some of the "cathedrals of college football" down the line. For now, we do what we are doing now, get the foundation laid (which suffice it to say will probably include a new head coach) and get ourselves to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game in my view

Isnt Jordan-Hare Stadium considered a "cathedral of college football".....and that got scheduled in the first year....It's not as unrealistic as people are making it sound. Lets not forget App St. got Miami to come to them...Kids from Miami didnt even know where they were!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jordan-Hare is a very nice stadium, but the "cathedrals of college football" as I describe it, are places like "The Big House", Notre Dame Stadium, The Rose Bowl, etc. Places that when you think of the most famous stadiums in college football, just roll off your tongue. If we got one of the real "blue blood" programs to come to Lynchburg, we might need a lot more seats...and definitely would want College Gameday there.
By amar0819
Okay I get that...But going back to App St. again theyre opening at Penn St. this year...Furman is opening at Clemson...UNLV is opening at USC...Akron is opening at Nebraska...Not sipping the cool-aide but you mean to tell me that in 7 years we wouldnt be able to replace one of those teams?
By Ewglenn
amar0819 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:The thing is, any P5 school that could "move the meter (or turnstile as it were)" isnt going to travel here right now, and fewer still are going to want us to come to them right now because, as was our difficulty as an FCS squad, a game with us is risky at best. The benefits from a win do not outweigh the cost of a potential loss even 7 years hence at this juncture. Now, if we can get things off to a reasonable start in these first few years, you could see someone like a Florida or Alabama or Clemson or USC or even Nebraska or Penn State or Michigan take notice and we could be looking at a trip to some of the "cathedrals of college football" down the line. For now, we do what we are doing now, get the foundation laid (which suffice it to say will probably include a new head coach) and get ourselves to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game in my view

Isnt Jordan-Hare Stadium considered a "cathedral of college football".....and that got scheduled in the first year....It's not as unrealistic as people are making it sound. Lets not forget App St. got Miami to come to them...Kids from Miami didnt even know where they were!
The only reason App got Miami was because they had a cancellation on their schedule. App had an opening and just so happened to have leverage.
By tyndal23
Foundation is laid, what is Master Plan past that. win 6 and go to a low tier bowl for next 30 years? Or maximize our strengths which are $, ( to be able to travel anywhere and charge only travel expense ) flexibility ( ability to not rely on 6 home games and can go play 7 road games ) National appeal based on ideology and our already National reach of 100k plus online students. LU could schedule 1 game in each P5 conference 4 in September, ( Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10 ) 2 in November ACC and SEC ( their off weeks are staggered ) and build in BYU annually ( some years will have only 6 P5 due to scheduling conflicts ) Fill in with remaining Independents and strategic G5 schools. You can get 1 for 1 or even 1 off home games if $ offered is right with low end P5 schools. You can get and retain the right coach and higher level talent with this philosophy. BJ - go take a look at all the non conference P5 games and clarify why LU wouldn't be desired on a schedule? Top teams play 1 tough one, 1 medium and 1 cupcake - the rest 2 medium and a cupcake - often FCS which kills their SOS - we are an ez out FBS win for them ( at time of scheduling ) - charging way less to come play.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Every BHAG whether it a be administration's or a super fan's is now obtainable. The only obstacle is to win ball games. If we win lots of ball games, every goal we have ever had will be within reach.

How fast can we become a winning program is the question. Ian has taken our trajectory and significantly shot it upwards. I cant say I am on board with the NC in 10 years, but don't be so bahhumbug about it. Things are light years ahead of where anyone could have imagined in 1971.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As a sidebar, apparently JMU (or their fanbase at least) is claiming that we refuse to play them especially now that we are FBS
BJWilliams wrote:As a sidebar, apparently JMU (or their fanbase at least) is claiming that we refuse to play them especially now that we are FBS
I mean, it's probably true but not for the reason they're implying. Its not because "we're too good for them." No FBS schools like to schedule top 3 FCS programs because no one wants to lose to a FCS program.

That fan base thinks they have a shot at upsetting last year's #24 or 25 team at NC State. They really think the 105 teams worse than them want to schedule a time too close for comfort FCS game?
Last edited by Class of 20Something on August 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:As a sidebar, apparently JMU (or their fanbase at least) is claiming that we refuse to play them especially now that we are FBS
I mean, it's probably true but not for the reason they're implying. Its not because "we're too good for them." No FBS schools like to schedule top 3 FCS programs because no one wants to lose to a FCS program.

That fan base thinks they have a shot at upsetting last year's #24 or 25 team at NC State. They really think the 105 teams worse than them want to schedule a time too close for comfort FCS game?
Sounds like another fan base I know....
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:

Sounds like another fan base I know....
Fanbase 1: Top FCS believes it can beat a team that placed 7 players in the NFL last year.

Fanbase 2: New FBS believes it can beat a team it's ranked within 10 of in just about every FBS ranking out there.

I'm not saying we don't have Homer glasses, just that there is a difference between them.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]