Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
with AutoNation Cure Bowl vs Sun Belt/AAC
@Ron_Clements
6m6 minutes ago
More
Though #Liberty is an FBS independent, #Flames now have a bowl tie-in. Liberty and the AutoNation Cure Bowl announced two-year bowl agreement for 2018 and 2019. If Liberty is bowl-eligible and the #SunBelt or #AAC don't have enough qualified teams, Liberty will fill the spot.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
In case anyone else was wondering like me...

Kickoff: December 15, 2018 / 2:30pm Eastern Standard Time
Stadium: Camping World Stadium. Orlando, Florida
Playing Surface: Astroturf Gamday 3D
Pairing*: American Athletic Conference vs. Sunbelt Conference
Tentative Team Selection Day: December 2, 2018
Television Network: CBS Sports Network
Ticket Prices: $25, $50, Indoor Club
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Its nice to have something to play for even if it is unlikely we win 6 games AND the sun belt/AAC don't have enough qualifying teams but a little added motivation certainly won't hurt.
By LUDad
Check out the info in my old post below. There may be other bowl opportunities available to Liberty this year even if this particular tie-in does not workout.

Re: 2019 Schedule Discussion #546000
By LUDad - February 16th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Question. Has there been another rule put into place that nullifies the bowl eligibility procedure listed below? If not, I take it from point 5 listed below that LU is eligible for a bowl THIS coming season (however unlikely it is that we could attain the qualifying 6 wins) as long as the bowls cannot fill their slots with non-transitional teams that have 6 wins. Thus far its been difficult for all the bowl slots to be filled by 6 win teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility

1. Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period. In the 2012 season, programs in four FCS conferences cannot meet the 90% requirement (56.7 equivalents)—the Ivy League, which prohibits all athletic scholarships; the Pioneer Football League and Georgetown, which do not currently award football scholarships; and the Northeast Conference, which limits football scholarships to 38 equivalents.
2. 6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.
3. Teams that finish 6-7 with loss number seven in their conference championship game (that has been eliminated by the conference championship waiver rule).
4. 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents. Although Hawaii normally plays a 13-game schedule, it only played 12 games in the 2012 season.
5. FCS teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
6. Finally, 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score. This was later adjusted to allow other 5-7 teams to be selected thereafter—in order of their APR.[9]
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:Now all we have to do is match our win total from the past couple of seasons playing in the Big South, and we will have an outside chance of going bowling!!!

Seriously though, great job getting this deal done, even if our actual selection is a very unlikely situation.
This is where I stand. It's incredible we pulled this off but the chance of us actually getting to the game under this staff is pretty low.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Now all we have to do is match our win total from the past couple of seasons playing in the Big South, and we will have an outside chance of going bowling!!!

Seriously though, great job getting this deal done, even if our actual selection is a very unlikely situation.
This is where I stand. It's incredible we pulled this off but the chance of us actually getting to the game under this staff is pretty low.

I believe we have the offense to do it, as for the defense.................................................
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This is absolutely huge. You now have a tangible dream to sell recruits. It makes being Independent a lot more viable. No idea what the chances are but it’s irrelevant
By Ewglenn
I think this is a build up to us being the first pick for the new Myrtle Beach Bowl. This agreement ends right when that bowl starts I think.
By tyndal23
Ian is the man !!! Unbelievable the moves he has made in such a short time. JFJR made the absolute right call in hiring him. Barber was the right guy at the right time and I respect him, but Ian is kicking doors open after politely knocking first. I believe our goal should be power 5 conference -ACC in next round of realignment. LU has a great early FBS window to catch lightning in a bottle and recruit at a very high level in the next 3 years and a potential for a power 5 invite ( due to a host of reasons tied to $ ) We need some luck and timing but there are lot of conservative parents out there that will be nudging 3 and 4 stars our way once we get a bit of national recognition. We have a huge national marketing presence for the recruiting aspect and even though our tv market isn’t attractive to a P5 I do believe it is actually better to avoid any G5 conference and keep loading up on ACC opponents and as many SEC and Big 12 / Big 10 games as possible -sooner rather than later...we can make it a tough conversation among school Presidents on why they vote “no” on a conference invite in next realignment phase 2025 or so ( I am sure we would have to buy our way in with another zero added that conference USA turned down ) but if our endowment keeps growing and other sports keep improving why not strategically plan for it. 2023,24 schedules should have 6 p5 away games and 2 home games with tough regional g5 remainder of home games. The worst that can happen is obvious, but the game has changed a lot; one coach and a few stud recruits can change a program so much quicker than 20 yrs ago. Go Big !!! Ok kook aid simply cup is empty, good night all.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Ian is the man !!! Unbelievable the moves he has made in such a short time. JFJR made the absolute right call in hiring him. Barber was the right guy at the right time and I respect him, but Ian is kicking doors open after politely knocking first. I believe our goal should be power 5 conference -ACC in next round of realignment. LU has a great early FBS window to catch lightning in a bottle and recruit at a very high level in the next 3 years and a potential for a power 5 invite ( due to a host of reasons tied to $ ) We need some luck and timing but there are lot of conservative parents out there that will be nudging 3 and 4 stars our way once we get a bit of national recognition. We have a huge national marketing presence for the recruiting aspect and even though our tv market isn’t attractive to a P5 I do believe it is actually better to avoid any G5 conference and keep loading up on ACC opponents and as many SEC and Big 12 / Big 10 games as possible -sooner rather than later...we can make it a tough conversation among school Presidents on why they vote “no” on a conference invite in next realignment phase 2025 or so ( I am sure we would have to buy our way in with another zero added that conference USA turned down ) but if our endowment keeps growing and other sports keep improving why not strategically plan for it. 2023,24 schedules should have 6 p5 away games and 2 home games with tough regional g5 remainder of home games. The worst that can happen is obvious, but the game has changed a lot; one coach and a few stud recruits can change a program so much quicker than 20 yrs ago. Go Big !!! Ok kook aid simply cup is empty, good night all.
Slow down there Skippy. IF the ACC were to expand there are a couple of schools that would be interested. LU would have to show they are on par with them. So if you are a School President looking to vote on adding a team to the ACC and you are looking at say WVU and LU why should LU get your vote?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Excellent post above Tyndale23.

If Louisville can get into ACC, anyone can. When Louisville came onboard to ACC, no one mentioned their academics. They were ranked 160th in academics. There are ACC schools that are not academic powerhouses.

I can't see West Virginia getting into ACC, mainly because of their rowdy, mean and criminal fan base. I doubt if ACC schools will want to go to Morgantown and deal with all the drunks.

I read this morning that Notre Dame has 9 bowl tie ins. Most come thru ACC. I have yet to understand why the ACC kisses up to ND. I guess LU needs to piggy back off some other conference to get more bowl tie ins, like ND is doing.
By Ewglenn
ballcoach15 wrote:Excellent post above Tyndale23.

If Louisville can get into ACC, anyone can. When Louisville came onboard to ACC, no one mentioned their academics. They were ranked 160th in academics. There are ACC schools that are not academic powerhouses.

I can't see West Virginia getting into ACC, mainly because of their rowdy, mean and criminal fan base. I doubt if ACC schools will want to go to Morgantown and deal with all the drunks.

I read this morning that Notre Dame has 9 bowl tie ins. Most come thru ACC. I have yet to understand why the ACC kisses up to ND. I guess LU needs to piggy back off some other conference to get more bowl tie ins, like ND is doing.
They kiss up to ND because they’ve committed 5 games per year to the ACC. It’s good for the upcoming ACC Network. Plus ND is pretty much a sell out when they go on the road.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I will NEVER watch ND play a football game, unless it's in Williams Stadium. They get too many "freebies" that the other 129 schools do not get.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Ballcoach speaks TRUTH. And I'm considering adding this quote to my signature.
By Class of 20Something
BuryYourDuke wrote:
thepostman wrote:I thought LU had gone away from that or at least in their residential programs.

Online is still a free for all.
If that’s the case I was unaware, and stand corrected.
The residential acceptance rate has dropped dramatically. I know I wouldn't be admitted to the residential program now with my HS grades. They're under 30% acceptance, but nearly 50% enroll. Retention is great but 4 year graduation needs to improve.

https://www.thoughtco.com/liberty-unive ... ons-787717
By Ewglenn
Class of 20Something wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:
thepostman wrote:I thought LU had gone away from that or at least in their residential programs.

Online is still a free for all.
If that’s the case I was unaware, and stand corrected.
The residential acceptance rate has dropped dramatically. I know I wouldn't be admitted to the residential program now with my HS grades. They're under 30% acceptance, but nearly 50% enroll. Retention is great but 4 year graduation needs to improve.

https://www.thoughtco.com/liberty-unive ... ons-787717
The online program needs to be a little more selective. I understand it’s great money but at least make it to where a little effort has to be made to get in.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]