Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Buckshot listed at number 3, with the 2 ACC quarterbacks listed ahead of him, including a juco transfer who has never thrown a pass for UVa. Now I'm really looking forward to our game in Cville in November.
of course this is the same site that had us ranked 7th best football team in the state and coming in behind Richmond and William & Mary as well as JMPOO! I am okay with being ranked behind TECH UVA and ODU. I can also see some ranking JMPOO ahead of us as well just because of their FCS success. But to put William and Mary and Richmond ahead of us is just ignorant.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:of course this is the same site that had us ranked 7th best football team in the state and coming in behind Richmond and William & Mary as well as JMPOO! I am okay with being ranked behind TECH UVA and ODU. I can also see some ranking JMPOO ahead of us as well just because of their FCS success. But to put William and Mary and Richmond ahead of us is just ignorant.

Ummm. I'm not sure which ranking you're referring to.
Last edited by VAGolf on July 11th, 2018, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
SoD BAS wrote:A JUCO guy that hasn't played a snap of D-1 football and:

• "won't find much tape on"
• "turned heads this Spring"

...is listed #1. SMH

To be honest, the state really doesn't have a great quarterback. Josh Jackson underwhelmed in many games last season, and there's now questions about his academics. Kyle Lauletta and Bryan Schor both graduated. We knew ranking Perkins that high would surprise some people, but if you haven't watched him play and read up on him, I encourage you to do so. We spent a little over a week compiling this list and the more research we did on Perkins, the more we felt he's the best QB in the state.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Buckshot listed at number 3, with the 2 ACC quarterbacks listed ahead of him, including a juco transfer who has never thrown a pass for UVa. Now I'm really looking forward to our game in Cville in November.
That should certainly be a fun game.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
SoD BAS wrote:A JUCO guy that hasn't played a snap of D-1 football and:

• "won't find much tape on"
• "turned heads this Spring"

...is listed #1. SMH

To be honest, the state really doesn't have a great quarterback. Josh Jackson underwhelmed in many games last season, and there's now questions about his academics. Kyle Lauletta and Bryan Schor both graduated. We knew ranking Perkins that high would surprise some people, but if you haven't watched him play and read up on him, I encourage you to do so. We spent a little over a week compiling this list and the more research we did on Perkins, the more we felt he's the best QB in the state.

Spent a week researching, but forgot that Buckshot is a football demigod. Also tech has a freshman that was top 10 freshman QB. Jackson has been cleared academically. Perkins will likely lose his starting QB job by week 6.
It really comes down to how effectively we play Big XII offense this year. If we can establish anything that resembles a run game to keep defenders closer to the line, we will have our way with plenty of defenses. I don't think anyone here has high hopes that we are going to win a game by preventing someone from scoring. If we win 4 or more, it is because our offense absolutely unloaded on a few teams.

Buckshot can hang with most of these guys in arm and mind. He is a little undersized so he might hit the turf more than a bulkier pocket passer.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Calvert may have as much or more arm talent than any of these guys. He has to grow in his decision making before his entire game will match that talent.
Bingo
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Just we had some QB depth.
Not really feeling great about the backup QB situation either, but I find it humorous that a year ago there were a couple of guys on here who were suggesting Mason Cunningham should start because they thought he looked better than Buckshot in the Spring game.

Don´t sleep on Landon Brown. I hear the coaches really like him. It´s not out of the question he could end up as the backup.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Buckshot listed at number 3, with the 2 ACC quarterbacks listed ahead of him, including a juco transfer who has never thrown a pass for UVa. Now I'm really looking forward to our game in Cville in November.
That should certainly be a fun game.
I'm looking forward to it as well. I had debated going to Auburn, but think I'll head north instead. Although the tickets are more expensive (!), it will be cheaper in the long run... and we might win!

A buddy is a BIG UVA fan... We were talking about football and (once again) he was high on the Cavs. Phil Steele has them coming in... last place in the ACC. I don't have any expectations that we WILL win the game, but I certainly think it is a possibility.
By LUDad
oldflame wrote:
Chippy wrote:Just we had some QB depth.
Not really feeling great about the backup QB situation either, but I find it humorous that a year ago there were a couple of guys on here who were suggesting Mason Cunningham should start because they thought he looked better than Buckshot in the Spring game.

Don´t sleep on Landon Brown. I hear the coaches really like him. It´s not out of the question he could end up as the backup.
There was a reason for that. Buckshot did look terrible during the Spring game. He was also coming off a freshman season where he had a tendency to get happy feet and was throwing off his back foot way too much.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:of course this is the same site that had us ranked 7th best football team in the state and coming in behind Richmond and William & Mary as well as JMPOO! I am okay with being ranked behind TECH UVA and ODU. I can also see some ranking JMPOO ahead of us as well just because of their FCS success. But to put William and Mary and Richmond ahead of us is just ignorant.
I'm not sure why you would think that we are automatically better than those FCS teams. I'd guess that JMU tops all except Tech. The 5,6, and 7 would be a toss up between LU WM and Richmond. We aren't a great football program, probably not much better than our mediocre showing from last year.
rogers3 wrote:
I'm not sure why you would think that we are automatically better than those FCS teams. I'd guess that JMU tops all except Tech. The 5,6, and 7 would be a toss up between LU WM and Richmond. We aren't a great football program, probably not much better than our mediocre showing from last year.
W&M won 2 games last year.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
They also have four playoff appearances since 2004, and have been to semifinals twice in that time frame.
That ranking list came from vhsl football site.

Maybe I am guzzling the kool-aid here but I find no reason to believe that W&M and Richmond are better current football teams than our boys. Personally, I think we are better than ODU and I look forward to that showing on game-day in a 40 some days.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:That ranking list came from vhsl football site.

Maybe I am guzzling the kool-aid here but I find no reason to believe that W&M and Richmond are better current football teams than our boys. Personally, I think we are better than ODU and I look forward to that showing on game-day in a 40 some days.
With LU playing UVA and ODU this season, it will be pretty easy to figure out where we stand.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:That ranking list came from vhsl football site.

Kool-aid bong, anyone?
I'd love it it it becomes true, but history tells me a different story.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]