Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

JK37 wrote: Could this be clever alright-of-hand coachspeak from HCTG to throw ODU off?
Hush, don't give it away! :nono
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I've seen enough of Gill and Company calling off tackles and HB draws for negative yards to believe him when he says he wants to establish the running game even though he has two NFL caliber players in Buck and AGG and two studs in the slot w/ King and Shaa
I agree. Their D-line is big, deep and experienced. We lack an experienced, game proven, consistent, and effective running back at this point. Their O-line is also huge and experienced. I'm afraid they will win the battle of front lines. We will have to spring a lot of surprises (eg. HB option, WR option) and get some free TDs on punt/kickoff, fumble, and INT returns) . . . and not turn the ball over. Hopefully the crowd can be the 12th man big time!
The position group I'm most excited to see is the defensive line.

So, coin toss, they choose endzone in a total shock. Do we want to put buckshot out there to drop a fast 7 and never turn back, or make sure we can recover by waiting until the second half?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I know the depth chart is kind of joke right now but anybody else find it funny that after 30 new players came only 1 found their way into the starting lineup.

I mean tillmon 3rd string. Matthews top rb. I still think were better off going with lemonier and wells on edge and avery inside. I know we will rotate guys but i want those guys to get max snaps together.
Not the I he to get off topic or create any assumptions, but TG was really sweating during the press conference today. I mean with all the people there in a smaller room, I can understand that folks would get warm. It was just weird that he was was extremely sweaty, to the point where he had to wipe his face a few times. It must be nerve wracking to be in his position right now.
jinxy wrote:I know the depth chart is kind of joke right now but anybody else find it funny that after 30 new players came only 1 found their way into the starting lineup.

I mean tillmon 3rd string. Matthews top rb. I still think were better off going with lemonier and wells on edge and avery inside. I know we will rotate guys but i want those guys to get max snaps together.
The depth chart is comical. They’re rolling out the same defensive front that couldn’t stop anyone last year. Matthews gets tackled on first contact as well.

Peyton, Lemonier, Tillmon should all be starting
ballah09 wrote:
jinxy wrote:I know the depth chart is kind of joke right now but anybody else find it funny that after 30 new players came only 1 found their way into the starting lineup.

The depth chart is comical. They’re rolling out the same defensive front that couldn’t stop anyone last year. Matthews gets tackled on first contact as well.

Peyton, Lemonier, Tillmon should all be starting
You may want to check your facts.

First of all, the only 2 players they are ¨rolling out¨from last year´s starting defensive front 6 are Wells and Avery. Not exactly scrubs. Rusens was out all year injured. Furtado joined the team late, was dinged up, saw limited action, and was most improved D player in Spring camp. Ajayi redshirted.

Seeing Tillman 3rd at the Will was a surprise, but Ajayi as the starter is not. Tillman will get his snaps, and I wouldn´t be surprised if eventually they move Solomon to the Mike and play them both. As to Lemonier, he is going to be an impact player, especially in the pash rush, but to start him means moving Avery back inside. We will no doubt play that combination quite a bit, just not at the start of the game. The depth chart really doesn´t mean that much. It theoretically tells you who will be on the field for the first snaps on offense and defense, and really not a lot more. That´s especially true on offense, because to some extent it depends on what the first play call is.

Matthews averaged over 7 yards a carry last year, and was our most dynamic RB by far. He is also almost like having a second slot receiver in the passing game. The ONLY reason he didn´t play more last year is he had a couple of fumbles and was put in the doghouse. I expect a full out ¨committee¨ approach to the RB position this year, which is fine with me.
oldflame wrote: I expect a full out ¨committee¨ approach to the RB position this year, which is fine with me.
I do think we should ride a hot hand when we get one though. If someone starts picking up 7-8 yards per carry, don't kill his momentum and let someone else take the snaps.
ballcoach15 wrote:Get someone established at RB and give him the ball. RB by committee fails most of the time. If a player fumbles, don't put him in doghouse. Give him the ball again on next running play called.
I totally agree with your second point. I think our COACHES are the ones who ¨dropped the ball¨ in benching Matthews last year. As to the first, it is only valid if you have one guy who is clearly superior. If you have several of similar ability, there is a significant advantage to having ¨fresh legs¨ in the game. Probably moreso than any other position.
It looks like we will probably only get 4 games out of Henderson this year. I am interested to see where Gill uses his redshirt games.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he could be in uniform on the sideline and as long as he doesn't play a snap, it doesn't count against his redshirt?

That is one massive insurance policy to get out of the big injury bugs that can plague teams.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Only having one player good enough to start right away from a recruiting class as highly touted as this past one is a bit disappointing, especially considering how mediocre we were in so many places last year.
IMHO that´s placing too much emphasis on who starts in game one. Steele may be the only one listed as a starter, but Lemonier, Wilson, Shaa, Pickett, Elefante, Pearson, and Morris will all play early and often, and I´m sure there will be others. We also have a couple of starters who redshirted last year, and more of the newcomers may very well win starting jobs as the season progresses and they become acclimated to the system. I might add that considering the experience we had coming back at safety, Steele getting the start is pretty impressive.

I think we were kidding ourselves if we expected a bunch of our OL recruits to play right away. Toughest position there is to make the adjustment to college ball.
Class of 20Something wrote:It looks like we will probably only get 4 games out of Henderson this year. I am interested to see where Gill uses his redshirt games.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he could be in uniform on the sideline and as long as he doesn't play a snap, it doesn't count against his redshirt?

That is one massive insurance policy to get out of the big injury bugs that can plague teams.
You are correct that suiting up means nothing. On the other hand, one snap counts as a game, and until this year counted as a season. The 4 game rule is great for everyone.
Last edited by olldflame on August 29th, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Image

Solomon Ajayi topping the Will

Mason got the #2 job at QB.

Matthews/Hickson/Pickett is our running back order.
Chippy, here you go.
Thank you.
JK37 wrote:How does one “establish the run” when backs are 180 lbs.?!

Your QB is 6’2” with a cannon. Your 6’4” wideout is atrue FBS talent with quickies in the slot. This isn’t rocket science.

Could this be clever alright-of-hand coachspeak from HCTG to throw ODU off?
Not hard to do, if you have a good OL. I am concerned that we have all of our OL back from last year. They were great underachievers. An additional year of growth and experience should help some, but we will have to see how that plays out.
Clever and HCTG used in the same sentence? That is a good one.
Hopefully we will see many of our collective concerns answered in our first game. One can always hope against hope. :) 8)
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Kevin Jonas is going to be at the game
Chris Hoffman
‏Verified account
@NewsmanChris
2h2 hours ago
More
Hey Liberty @LibertyFootball and Jonas Brothers fans, @JerryFalwellJr tells me Kevin Jonas will be at the game Saturday.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Kevin Jonas is going to be at the game

Chris Hoffman
‏Verified account
@NewsmanChris
2h2 hours ago
More
Hey Liberty @LibertyFootball and Jonas Brothers fans, @JerryFalwellJr tells me Kevin Jonas will be at the game Saturday.
How many stars does he have?
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:
ballah09 wrote:Kevin Jonas is going to be at the game

Chris Hoffman
‏Verified account
@NewsmanChris
2h2 hours ago
More
How many stars does he have?
Oldflame, he's not a player; He's a celebrity :lol:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Jon said what i was getting at. I didnt see anything from rusins or hurtado last year Or from malik i pulled a hammy matthews every time he gets burned ha.

Ive heard multiple people say pickett will be bell cow once he picks up offense. Im sure gill will try matthews and hickson and cite pickett not knowing offense then try pickett and he earns the rock. Havent seen enough from boyd to know anything personally but id say we will be pickett/boyd by game 3.

Also cant believe barret is not on top 3 at tight end. Foutz can do nothing but block and dropped 2 wide open tds.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]