Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia

ODU Football Official Site

ODU CSN Board - Lion's Den

Monarchs 247 Board *Nearly Dead*

Bobby Wilder
10th Season as ODU Head Coach

2017 Schedule/Results
  • Overall .......... 5-7
    CUSA ............. 3-5

Sep 02 - UAlbany ............................................. W, 31-17
    Sep 09 - @ UMass ............................................ W, 17-7
    Sep 16 - North Carolina ................................... L, 53-23
    Sep 23 - @ Virginia Tech .................................. L, 38-0
    Oct 07 - Florida Atlantic* ................................. L, 58-28
    Oct 14 - @ Marshall* ........................................ L, 35-3
    Oct 20 - WKU* .................................................. L, 35-31
    Oct 28 - @ North Texas* ................................... L, 45-38
    Nov 04 - Charlotte* .......................................... W, 6-0
    Nov 11 - @ FIU* ............................................... W, 37-30
    Nov 18 - Rice* .................................................. W, 24-21
    Nov 25 - @ Middle Tennessee* ......................... L, 41-10

2018 Schedule
  • Sep 01 - @ Liberty
    Sep 08 - FIU*
    Sep 15 - @ Charlotte*
    Sep 22 - Virginia Tech
    Sep 29 - @ East Carolina
    Oct 06 - @ Florida Atlantic*
    Oct 13 - Marshall*
    Oct 20 - @ WKU*
    Oct 27 - Middle Tennessee*
    Nov 10 - North Texas*
    Nov 17 - VMI
    Nov 24 - @ Rice*
ODU Official Site wrote:11 Monarchs Named to Athlon Sports Preseason All-Conference USA Team

May 24, 2018
By ODU Athletics

NORFOLK, Va. – Old Dominion University football had 11 football student-athletes named to the Athlon Sports 2018 preseason All-Conference USA team.

Seniors Miles Fox and Oshane Ximines were named to the first-team all defensive squad, while Isaiah Harper earned first-team kick returner honors, and Darrell Brown first-team punt returner.

Running back Jeremy Cox and center Nick Clarke were named to the offensive second-team, while Jonathan Duhart and Isaac Weaver were named to the third-team. Safety Sean Carter was added to third-team defense, while linebacker Marvin Branch was named to the fourth-team. Junior punter Bailey Cate rounded out the ODU selections earning fourth-team honors.
Click Here for Full Story

Key Players
    #5 Steven Williams
    6' 4" 196 lbs Sophomore Quarterback - Youngest Player in FBS in 2017
    2017 Stats: 147-of-263 for 1528 Passing Yds with 6 TDs & 11 INTs + 92 Carries for 263 Yds & 3 Rushing TDs

#35 Jeremy Cox
    5' 11" 217 lbs Senior Running Back
    2017 Stats: 147 Carries for 621 Yds with 4 Rushing TDs + 20 Catches for 176 Yds + 20.3 Yds per Kick Return

#15 Isaiah Harper
    5' 9" 168 lbs Senior Receiver
    2017 Stats: 39 Catches for 462 Yds + 14 Carries for 59 Yds + 8th in FBS with 29.1 Kick Return Average

#11 MIles Fox
    6' 1" 292 lbs Senior Defensive Tackle
    2017 Stats: 57 Tackles including 9 for Loss + 5.5 Sacks + 1 Forced Fumble

#7 Oshane Ximines
    6' 3" 247 lbs Senior Defensive End
    2017 Stats: 44 Tackles including 14 for Loss + 8.5 Sacks + 7 QB Hurries + 4 Forced Fumbles

#31 Sean Carter
    6' 1" 205 lbs Senior Safety
    2017 Stats: 54 Tackles including 3.5 for Loss + 3 INTs + 1 Fumble Recovery
olldflame wrote:Their record last year doesn't really reflect how bad they were. Won by 6 over Charlotte and 4 over Rice; both were 1-11. Got blown out in their final game by a mediocre Middle TN.
But they hung around with UNT too even though it was a loss, UNT isn't a joke.

I think we match up well. It's going to be all offense if last year is an indication.
It depends. You mean the offense at Baylor not the offense at home against St. Francis!? If we come up with a running game at all we can be very good on offense. Last year we were one dimensional without a running game and teams picked up on that once they saw the Baylor film.
Winnng this game would be HUGE for in-state recruiting.
Cider Jim wrote:Winnng this game would be YUGE for in-state recruiting.
*FTFY

I really think it would. Breaking in as the #3 in the state would be huge. We would also have the opportunity to take #2 later in the season and could be a huge storyline going on the road to UVa.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Winnng this game would be YUGE for in-state recruiting.
*FTFY

I really think it would. Breaking in as the #3 in the state would be huge. We would also have the opportunity to take #2 later in the season and could be a huge storyline going on the road to UVa.
It’s not an LU summer without some crazy ideas!

I’m half-kidding. My life as a Liberty fan has made me jaded.
Class of 20Something wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:#3? I didn’t see JMU on the schedule.
Absolutely, in 2012 when there were only two FBS schools in the state. Now there are four and they aren't one of them. How many of us plan to continue religiously follow FCS football?
Exactly, not much if any.
FCS football? I think Purple still follows WVU. :wink:
JMU recruits a lot of FBS players, who transfer to Harrisonburg from other schools. It's legal , but unethical in my opinion. Jacksonville State in Alabama does same thing. It's ok to get a couple transfers from FBS schools, but not build a team with them.
ballcoach15 wrote:JMU recruits a lot of FBS players, who transfer to Harrisonburg from other schools. It's legal , but unethical in my opinion. Jacksonville State in Alabama does same thing. It's ok to get a couple transfers from FBS schools, but not build a team with them.
Why?
BuryYourDuke wrote:Being FBS doesn’t make you better than FCS teams. My point was that JMU is the third best, possibly second best team in the state. We beat ODU, and we can make a decent argument for #4. Maybe.
We all know what you meant. While I agree they are better than us and ODU, I think because of the disparity in competition it is easy to over rank and over hype them. Sagarin holds them at #44. One under Texas A&M. Does anyone here think that is a sane comparison? It has them over Missouri, Cal, UCLA, and Navy. Their one loss last year was a blowout to #71 UNC 56-28.
Your shifting the discussion to something else. Currently, as we speak, they are better than LU. Also at this point they are held in higher regard as a football program in the state of Virginia. That could quickly change but anybody saying otherwise at this current time simply doesn't have a clear understanding of college football in the state of Virginia. Either that or is just sucked into the liberty bubble a bit too far.
thepostman wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:Didn’t LU win the last time?

And since then both programs have gone in opposite directions performance wise.

I can agree there. Gill had his one good season just like his other coaching jobs (well Kansas is Kansas, so I will not include that one). Of course others will point out the other seasons being 6-5, but those were hard to watch at times.
Dalegarz1 wrote:by ballcoach15 » May 30th, 2018, 3:03 pm
JMU and all comments pertaining to same, should be banned from this message board.

REPEAL THE FIRST AMENDMENT!!
Why do so many people think the first amendment applies to anything except the government?
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]