Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I preface this by acknowledging my dislike of Turner Gill the football coach. I know that clouds my opinion on other things.

That said, if it’s truly suspensions that we are waiting on a “miracle” from, does it not feel very shady to be hiding them behind the idea of injuries? Especially from someone who’s best trait is his Christian leadership and the Christian example he is?
ballah09 wrote:So Tillmon and Davis suspended?

While it is possible, I think it´s quite a stretch to assume something like that based just on the depth chart. In the case of Davis, Espinosa has clearly seperated himself from the pack at the Spur, and I´m not surprised at all to see Jackson, who has started off and on for 3 years second. Also not shocked to see Ajayi starting at the Will, although Jenkins ahead of Tillman is certainly :dontgetit .
I'm good with the torches. I think it's a legitimate question.

The response back will be that he was talking about one guy who will be out tomorrow when talking about the "miracle" that was needed. And they will say he chose not to mention the suspensions because of gamesmanship with ODU or because they were minor team rules violations.
I am okay if we are steadfast in that we defend the tradition of not revealing things (not sure why people are secretive about it if it’s nothing major though). I DO have a problem if we are now in the business of hiding stuff because we may be doing something shady.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I preface this by acknowledging my dislike of Turner Gill the football coach. I know that clouds my opinion on other things.

That said, if it’s truly suspensions that we are waiting on a “miracle” from, does it not feel very shady to be hiding them behind the idea of injuries? Especially from someone who’s best trait is his Christian leadership and the Christian example he is?
If that is indeed what is going on, I will be surprised and disappointed. He was responding to a direct question about injuries, and had no reason or obligation to say a word about suspensions, so why would he?

If my memory serves, in the past suspensions were either announced right before the game, or even after, in response to media questions about the player´s absence.
PAFlame wrote:I am okay if we are steadfast in that we defend the tradition of not revealing things (not sure why people are secretive about it if it’s nothing major though). I DO have a problem if we are now in the business of hiding stuff because we may be doing something shady.
For the record - I have heard nothing to suggest we are doing anything shady off the field. What I suggested felt shady was using the injury report and/or depth chart to cover up suspensions instead of just telling people a guy is suspended.
oldflame wrote:If my memory serves, in the past suspensions were either announced right before the game, or even after, in response to media questions about the player´s absence.
He's announced it multiple times in the past during his Tuesday media appearance.

Edit: Last year before the Baylor game he announced two rules violation suspensions during his Tuesday press conference.
Forget shady. If TG is actually trying to sweep suspensions under the rug by saying players are injured, setting aside the ethics of it, he should be fired for stupidity. There is no way on earth the truth would not eventually come out.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
oldflame wrote:If my memory serves, in the past suspensions were either announced right before the game, or even after, in response to media questions about the player´s absence.
He's announced it multiple times in the past during his Tuesday media appearance.

Edit: Last year before the Baylor game he announced two rules violation suspensions during his Tuesday press conference.
Debbie chill out and enjoy the game it's going to be a good one :lol:
TH Spangler wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Debbie chill out and enjoy the game it's going to be a good one :lol:
So you good with cover ups?
Not a fan of TG as a coach (not a secret) :). Personally, I don't see anything ethically wrong with not announcing a suspension until after the game.
I would certainly not be in favor of trying to cover up team or university infractions in order to keep a player eligible.
Purple Haize wrote:Wait. Do we know players are suspended or not? Or is this just speculation
I’ve been told by people I trust that there are multiple players suspended for disciplinary/team rules issues. It’s a combination of half game and full game suspensions. There are no legal issues or Liberty Way issues. Nothing serious. Other than that, I don’t know who, how many, or exactly what for.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Wait. Do we know players are suspended or not? Or is this just speculation
I’ve been told by people I trust that there are multiple players suspended for disciplinary/team rules issues. It’s a combination of half game and full game suspensions. There are no legal issues or Liberty Way issues. Nothing serious. Other than that, I don’t know who, how many, or exactly what for.
So you don’t know. By your own admission even if there was a suspension it was for ‘nothing serious ‘. Not sure why the pearl clutching
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I’ve been told by people I trust that there are multiple players suspended for disciplinary/team rules issues. It’s a combination of half game and full game suspensions. There are no legal issues or Way issues. Nothing serious. Other than that, I don’t know who, how many, or exactly what for.
So you don’t know. By your own admission even if there was a suspension it was for ‘nothing serious ‘. Not sure why the pearl clutching
:D Here's why :D

[youtube]ObdC3uhPeEY[/youtube]
TG has always been an odd cat. If he won regularly then maybe it wouldn't matter but we don't and so therefor these stupid little things stick out.

Jon is pretty up front about his dislike for TG, but unlike me, he actually has way more intel. I just run my mouth and am opinionated.
thepostman wrote:TG has always been an odd cat. If he won regularly then maybe it wouldn't matter but we don't and so therefor these stupid little things stick out.

Jon is pretty up front about his dislike for TG, but unlike me, he actually has way more intel. I just run my mouth and am opinionated.
The John that hasn't been to a game in years :dontgetit
I prefer transparency, especially given that he’s been transparent about it in the past.

If Probert isn’t going to play, just say he’s doubtful and move on. Don’t talk about how you are hoping for a miracle and stall until after your media availability for the week.

If guys are suspended, just call it what it is. Don’t bury them on the depth chart and talk about how they’ll play but you need to see more from them first.

I may not think he’s a good coach, but I can respect him for suspending players for breaking rules and holding them to a high standard. But to do that, it actually has to be announced. Otherwise it feels like a cover up. If we are going to be the “to God be the glory” program, we have to do everything above reproach, and that includes media/public relations.
TH Spangler wrote:
thepostman wrote:TG has always been an odd cat. If he won regularly then maybe it wouldn't matter but we don't and so therefor these stupid little things stick out.

The John that hasn't been to a game in years :dontgetit
There are plenty of huge LU fans who can't make it to games. That is just a ridiculously obtuse way to judge someone's fandom
I’m out doing completing wedding things and I come back and see a debacle going on. Can someone give me brief analysis on what is really going on? Or is everyone just spewing things? I don’t even know where to start with the messages lol
Jonathan Carone wrote:I prefer transparency, especially given that he’s been transparent about it in the past.

If Probert isn’t going to play, just say he’s doubtful and move on. Don’t talk about how you are hoping for a miracle and stall until after your media availability for the week.

If guys are suspended, just call it what it is. Don’t bury them on the depth chart and talk about how they’ll play but you need to see more from them first.

I may not think he’s a good coach, but I can respect him for suspending players for breaking rules and holding them to a high standard. But to do that, it actually has to be announced. Otherwise it feels like a cover up. If we are going to be the “to God be the glory” program, we have to do everything above reproach, and that includes media/public relations.
Just because you prefer transparency doesn’t mean that is the “to God Be The Glory Way” and everything else is a cover up. To begin with, you don’t know if anyone is suspended. Secondly, why do you believe you, as a fan, have an absolute right to know if a player is suspended? Especially if such suspension wasn’t related to anything major and “was no big deal”. Thirdly, what rule is he violating if he is doing what you say he is doing? The Jonathon To God Be The Glory Rule? Finallly, whats the big deal with a little gamesmanship? It’s what coaches do.
I get it. He’s an odd duck. His personality isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. There are ways he handles players that give me pause. But he certainly hasn’t done anything that is immoral as far as I know. If all is as you say, I have 0 problem with the way he handled it. I’m not sure how that compromises his “to God Be The Glory “ approach but then again I’m not looking to fault him for every decision he makes either.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]