Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LUGrad2000 wrote:My season tickets are in 203 or 207,I just went with reserved bleachers. Where does everyone else sit?

105 row L ... Love the 50 yard line and just high enough to see over the sideline. I tried the blue seats once. Not enough movement room for me so we are sticking with red reserved.

29 days, 5 hours, and 27 minutes :football :football :football
FTW ODU wrote:Hey all! My daughter and I are traveling from Hampton Roads to come to the ODU vs LU game (we're avid ODU fans). Anyone have suggestions on decent food in the area that you can take a 4 year old to? I've booked an Air BnB in the area and driving home the next day. Looking forward to seeing ya'lls new stadium. Hopefully the game will be a close one (with an ODU win of course :D )
Welcome! I have a 4 year old. What kind of restaurant are you looking for? What price range? Nearing game time, the closer to the stadium, the busier the establishment will be. Are you looking for lunch on saturday, or for other meals?
I'd love to take my two boys to a game at some point soon. Their collective attention span isn't conducive to it just yet
BJWilliams wrote:I'd love to take my two boys to a game at some point soon. Their collective attention span isn't conducive to it just yet
Trying to teach my 19 month old the GO-L-U part of the fight song with the hand motion. It's going about as adorably as expected. It's become Go-L-YAYYYAHHAyAYAY
I'd probably start with the hand motion like we did in band before going into chants...but my older one went to a game when he was still an infant
R i wrote:Its crazy how many kids are being raised on flames football these days. These are uncharted waters for sure.
This is where our biggest growth point is. The 07 grads are the first to graduate with football being both good and important while they were in school. Those alum are 33-34ish now, likely with a couple kids. If we can capitalize on keeping those families engaged, we've got a great future ahead of us.

The generations before us are totally bought in because football success is still new and fresh and exciting. The growth and expansion is enough excitement to keep them engaged. Our generation is more skeptical by nature so it'll take a little more work to keep us engaged, but if we can pull it off, our fanbase can grow a ton.
That's gonna take a) getting them involved in things like the Flames Club, and figuring out a way to create something beyond the local Flames Kids Club
Except for those ugly Karcher years that followed, LU had a mostly winning football program from 1988-1999 (last year of Morgan Hout's coaching and most of Coach Sam's years). Coach Sam's record at LU was 67-53, which included 6 winning seasons and 2 years when he finished 5-6.
I'm talking to the ODU broadcasters to see if I can shadow them during this game. I figure if I'm going to be a part of history, that would be the best place to start the rebirth of my broadcast career...and start with something I should have done when GMTM was my boss...sat and learned first
I think it's not a bad idea to try to set a high level for attendance to start the season off with it being a big transition season. If team comes out and tanks in that game it could backfire but if they play well and win it helps create some excitement for the rest of the season.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We must be desperate for a crowd for this game. Faculty/staff tickets are now $5.
Labor day weekend. Wife and I are staying for the game. The rest of the family is heading to the beach early Saturday. We'll meet up with them on Sunday but that's 10 of my family that won't be at the game.
Jonathan Carone wrote:We must be desperate for a crowd for this game. Faculty/staff tickets are now $5.
I'm sure I could look it up but what's the normal price for them? I know in the past 5 bucks was pretty standard. Obviously things are a bit different this year.
flamehunter wrote:I think it's not a bad idea to try to set a high level for attendance to start the season off with it being a big transition season. If team comes out and tanks in that game it could backfire but if they play well and win it helps create some excitement for the rest of the season.
If we can’t get a great crowd at $15/ticket for our first FBS game in a brand new stadium against an in state opponent then we are not in a good place as a fan base.

Why would anyone buy a season ticket at the faculty/staff rate, which is already pretty significant, if you're going to be selling them $5 tickets?

Why would they spend $15 for a game in October when they know if ticket sales are bad we’ll drop the prices?

You don’t build a fan base on the backs of discounted tickets.

It’s just not a smart move, and I know it wasn’t driven by the ticket office. Those people are too smart to do something like this.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flamehunter wrote:I think it's not a bad idea to try to set a high level for attendance to start the season off with it being a big transition season. If team comes out and tanks in that game it could backfire but if they play well and win it helps create some excitement for the rest of the season.
If we can’t get a great crowd at $15/ticket for our first FBS game in a brand new stadium against an in state opponent then we are not in a good place as a fan base.

Why would anyone buy a season ticket at the faculty/staff rate, which is already pretty significant, if you're going to be selling them $5 tickets?

Why would they spend $15 for a game in October when they know if ticket sales are bad we’ll drop the prices?

You don’t build a fan base on the backs of discounted tickets.

It’s just not a smart move, and I know it wasn’t driven by the ticket office. Those people are too smart to do something like this.
Jonathan how many games do you plan to attend?
0. I live five hours away and refuse to spend the time/money to travel to a game until we put a product on the field that’s worth it.

Conversely, I’m also the person who would buy season tickets if I lived within two hours and I had faith in the direction of the program.
Jonathan Carone wrote:0. I live five hours away and refuse to spend the time/money to travel to a game until we put a product on the field that’s worth it.

Conversely, I’m also the person who would buy season tickets if I lived within two hours and I had faith in the direction of the program.
Well you're a lot of help :lol:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:0. I live five hours away and refuse to spend the time/money to travel to a game until we put a product on the field that’s worth it.

I dont know everyones situation with childcare, finances, and so on. However, 5 hours away seems doable for an up and back trip on a Saturday. Especially a 3 oclock kick off.
It’s doable if it was worth it. But right now it’s not. And that’s why I say the fact we are dropping ticket prices to faculty/staff shows we aren’t in a great place as a fan base. There are obviously other people like me who would’ve been at this game if there was a new coach or excitement around the product. But there isn’t. So we are staying home. That’s my entire point.

To give more perspective: last year when we knew we were opening with ODU at home as an FBS school, I started having conversations with some of The LUnatics. We talked about having a reunion for this game because it’d be more exciting than homecoming and it’s been ten years since our last year together as a whole. But after last year’s results and no coaching change, interest dropped significantly and we decided not to do it.

My guess is there’s quite a bit of people in similar situations.
I went back and forth on going because my faith in the direction or the program is pretty low but at the same time it is the first ever FBS game in the expanded William's Stadium I had to be there but i totally get where Jon is coming from.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]