Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jake Webb wrote:Hey guys!

I figured I would chime in on this post. I am Jacob Webb, a designer in 's Marketing Department. 's athletics creative is divided in an unorthodox way. I, along with two other designers (one which is leaving next week), work on just about all athletic printed promo materials. This includes schedule posters, brochures, flyers, billboards (printed and digital), etc.

There is one full time designer in the athletics department and I believe they are trying to hire another (they had a GA that was an outstanding social media manager and a surging designer, but he recently graduated and was hired by a school in Tennessee). They focus on social. I would love to see that team grow into a fully staffed design team eventually, but I understand that is a process.

Before working at , I spent a short amount of time over on App State's football staff doing graphic design for their social. I was their only designer on staff while there was one more that worked on other sports (who is now at ECU). As an "intern" I was essentially available round clock doing whatever needed to be done. The majority of this contained designs for football recruits (literally round clock). There is a lot that goes into it that isn't seen by the general public due to NCAA regulations. If anyone is interested, I'd love to explain more via DM.

All of that to say, the amount of work that social requires is enough for a large team to cover (and I haven't even mentioned the actual social media handlers who would keep up with the actual accounts). Luckily, the college athletics world is starting to understand the importance of social/social graphic design. For example, there are high school recruits that have chosen schools solely because of their social/graphic design. The top programs are recently really starting to tap into this and others are trying to keep up. Ohio State, South Carolina, Auburn, Texas, Washington, are a few of the top programs who's athletics department are starting to really pay out on creative and it shows. They are doing an unbelievable job.

I look forward to seeing where 's social is headed, but keep in mind... It is a process.
Thanks for sharing Jake. Jason Whitlock recently addressed SM's effect on NFL players.
By Jake Webb
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote:Thanks for sharing Jake! Hopefully my opinions didn’t come across harsh or ungrateful. I know it’s a ton of work as I’ve done a lot of the same type of work before. We’ve come a long way just since I graduated a few years ago and I can’t wait to see the future! Keep on keeping on man, only can do so much with a small team and what we do have is way better than few years ago! Glad to hear someone involved wants and sees the need for a full team as well though!
I didn't take your comments that way at all. I was just giving some insight because our system is much different from others...As far as athletics creative goes. I rarely have any projects that are for social.

It has come a long way and, like always, room for improvement.
By Class of 20Something
Going to restart an old thread because I was thinking about this today. Once this recruiting class is over #L19htEmUp is gone into the ether. I personally am very fond of the Light Em Up call and think that a non-recruiting based #LightEmUp could replace a boring and generic #GoFlames that covers all sports. I see an argument for unity under a single hashtag, but wonder what yall think about it.

Separate thought but same topic, they need to have the hashtag on permanent banners in and around athletic facilities. Having #GoFlames flash on the video board will never get it trending.
By Jonathan Carone
I'm personally not a fan of the Light Em Up phrase. It has no real meaning behind it other than it was a lyric from a Fall Out Boy song we used for the football intro video a couple years ago. I'd rather be generic and school oriented than cheesy and forced.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm personally not a fan of the Light Em Up phrase. It has no real meaning behind it other than it was a lyric from a Fall Out Boy song we used for the football intro video a couple years ago. I'd rather be generic and school oriented than cheesy and forced.
You've gotta listen to York on the radio.
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:I know he uses the call. But he got it from that song. I've disliked it from the get go because it's cheesy and forced.
Everyone has an opinion so let me show you my back side.
Light em' rocks
Often used in the military to begin engagement.
Flames to light em' up not a far stretch.
York is just GOLD with this.
Never sounds forced nor cheesy --- may be to a smoker of good stuff though-- could have a whole different meaning.
In context ----- It works and works very well IMHO.
Yes, one easy hashtag is so mjch easier to follow and ease of locating information is what it is all about.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I know he uses the call. But he got it from that song. I've disliked it from the get go because it's cheesy and forced.
Everyone has an opinion so let me show you my back side.
Light em' rocks
Often used in the military to begin engagement.
Flames to light em' up not a far stretch.
York is just GOLD with this.
Never sounds forced nor cheesy --- may be to a smoker of good stuff though-- could have a whole different meaning.
In context ----- It works and works very well IMHO.
Yes, one easy hashtag is so mjch easier to follow and ease of locating information is what it is all about.
+1
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I agree 100%. :football
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:
I agree 100%. :football
Wanna reconsider your opinion Jon?
By LU 57
I do not really have an opinion whether it should be THE go to phrase but I like York’s use of it.

What I would like to see go is the “move those chains” chant. I literally cringe everytime I hear it. Not sure where it originated but the Ravens have used it for years, making it that much worse.

Full disclosure: I am a longsuffering Redskins fan :(
By LUAlum1215
I'm not sure that I agree with one particular hashtag or multiple, but then again I lurk on social media more than I'm a user... I don't think I've ever used a hashtag unless I was replying to something or someone specific.

One step further on the same note- I wish we had that slogan or phrase that was "ours". I.e. Roll Tide, Gig 'em, Woo Pig, etc. I'm not creative enough to even begin to think of something that could work or would make sense on any cognitive level, but it would be pretty cool to have some phrase that was specific enough that most informed college sports folk would know who it refers to. I understand we're a young school with an even younger "legit" athletics program, but one can always dream.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:One step further on the same note- I wish we had that slogan or phrase that was "ours".
The Ole Miss slogan is Hotty Toddy. Any suggestions on what LU could use? :dontgetit
By Old Red
I agree with cutting out “move those chains”. The cheer is fine with just “first down!”, punctuated by the scream. Sometimes less is more.
I’ve gotten to the point where I just cut the middle part out when I’m cheering.

I imagine we’ll have a cheer that is unique to LU someday, but I bet it’s something that will slowly catch on with the student body rather than coming from the Marketing department.
By CCWMichael
Old Red wrote:I agree with cutting out “move those chains”. The cheer is fine with just “first down!”, punctuated by the scream. Sometimes less is more.
I’ve gotten to the point where I just cut the middle part out when I’m cheering.

I imagine we’ll have a cheer that is unique to LU someday, but I bet it’s something that will slowly catch on with the student body rather than coming from the Marketing department.
Light em' up? :P
By LU 57
Old Red wrote:I agree with cutting out “move those chains”. The cheer is fine with just “first down!”, punctuated by the scream. Sometimes less is more.

Yes. I actually like the call and response with the PA, “And its a Liberty!” .....“First down!”. I just dislike the rest.

Anyway, it’s a little thing. I can certainly live with it. 8+ wins will make me put up with any number of slightly annoying things :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
LU 57 wrote:I do not really have an opinion whether it should be THE go to phrase but I like York’s use of it.

What I would like to see go is the “move those chains” chant. I literally cringe everytime I hear it. Not sure where it originated but the Ravens have used it for years, making it that much worse.

This is one of our few traditions that actually happened organically. I know it's used in many places and isn't unique to Liberty, but it started by a dorm doing it at the 2007 spring game and then caught on that fall with the entire student section. It may be old to some but it's one of the few things we do that was started by fans.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
LU 57 wrote:I do not really have an opinion whether it should be THE go to phrase but I like York’s use of it.

This is one of our few traditions that actually happened organically. I know it's used in many places and isn't unique to Liberty, but it started by a dorm doing it at the 2007 spring game and then caught on that fall with the entire student section. It may be old to some but it's one of the few things we do that was started by fans.
+1. I will say that was one thing i enjoyed even after leaving the Mountain and tuning into games on the radio or online.
By CCWMichael
thepostman wrote:I like that one...

not that is matters, haha
+1

They may not even have a choice since they just sat around campus and slept in their offices for a few days.
These guys are burning up some air miles.
Chances are --- this is what we use with recruits --- get at it.

Maybe this year #Bowlwithus
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]