Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
[quote=""USA Today"]Re-ranking college football teams 1-130 following spring practice

Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY Sports
Published 1:20 p.m. ET May 7, 2018

Last week’s ranking of the post-spring Top 25 for the Football Bowl Subdivision was just the beginning. With spring drills in the books and less than four months until the start of the 2018 season, let’s rank ‘em all.

The USA TODAY Sports post-spring 1-130 for the entire FBS digs deep into each of conference to make an early suggestion for how things will shake out. Remember the one casting change: Idaho is moving down to the Football Championship Subdivision and Liberty is moving up. We’re still sitting at 130 teams.[/quote]

Click Here for Full Story

Here are the rankings of interest to us:
  • 1. Clemson
    2. Alabama
    3. Wisconsin
    4. Washington
    5. Ohio State
    11. Auburn
    18. Virginia Tech
    58. North Texas
    60. Troy
    62. UVa
    63. Army
    75. UMass
    92. ODU

103. Coastal Carolina
    104. NM State
    118. Liberty
    119. New Mexico

130. UTEP
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Half of our schedule is against teams projected in the Top 75. That's a bit daunting heading into the season. But there is only one game that I don't see us potentially winning. That doesn't mean I think we will win them all but they are not completely out of reach if we play well.
Sly Fox wrote:Half of our schedule is against teams projected in the Top 75. That's a bit daunting heading into the season. But there is only one game that I don't see us potentially winning. That doesn't mean I think we will win them all but they are not completely out of reach if we play well.
I agree Sly. The team has to work hard/play hard the entire season and not just the first few games. This was discussed in parts of the rise with us interviews.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is exactly why I would be completely shocked if we win more than 3 games.

I know there isn't many big names on the schedule but it's still a fairly challenging schedule for a first year FBS program.
This seems completely out of step with ESPN, SB Nation, and Sports on Earth. SB Nation has UMass at 102 and SoE has them at 111. Troy is 78 and 75 vs USA's 60. SB nation has Army at 92!

Summary: None of these idiots have a clue how this season is going to break down.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:This is exactly why I would be completely shocked if we win more than 3 games.

I know there isn't many big names on the schedule but it's still a fairly challenging schedule for a first year FBS program.
I wouldn't consider winning 1 or 2 games against teams rated higher than us totally shocking at all. I think NM State, ODU and UMass are all very beatable, and we have what IMHO is an overrated N. Texas team at home. For me, less than 4 wins would be disappointing.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I cannot make a prediction, until I see if our Defense has improved
Well, we really won't know that til we play the games, will we? Kinda hard to "predict" then.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I love being able to say #118 in the country, and not have to throw out the disclaimer, "in the championship sub division".
By R i
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I love being able to say #118 in the country, and not have to throw out the disclaimer, "in the championship sub division".
I would rank Troy ahead of North Texas, but man what a schedule. Winnable games against some very good teams.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I cannot make a prediction, until I see if our Defense has improved
Well, we really won't know that til we play the games, will we? Kinda hard to "predict" then.
We'll find out week one, ODU's passing game is questionable and they plan to mostly be a running team this year.
TH Spangler wrote:QB rankings. Buck #79.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... kings-2018
The only teams we play with higher rate QBs

60. Andrew Ford, UMass

Ford won’t have standout tight end Adam Breneman to throw to in 2018, but the senior quarterback has plenty of weapons to keep the offense performing at a high level. After tossing 26 touchdowns in 2016, Ford delivered another solid all-around season for coach Mark Whipple last fall. Ford connected on 63.2 percent of his passes for 2,924 yards and 22 touchdowns, while tossing only four interceptions. With Ford guiding the offense, along with a favorable schedule, UMass has a chance to push for its first winning record since moving to the FBS

16. Mason Fine, North Texas

The Mean Green showed marked improvement in coach Seth Littrell’s second season and are likely to begin 2018 as the favorite to win Conference USA’s West Division once again. Led by Fine, a high-powered offense was a big reason why North Texas claimed the division title last year. Fine started all 14 games for the Mean Green, throwing for 4,052 yards and 31 touchdowns. The Oklahoma native’s 4,052 yards and 31 passing scores set new single-season records for the program. The huge statistical year also allowed Fine to earn first-team All-Conference USA honors.

9. Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Running back Kerryon Johnson will be missed, but Auburn's offense is set behind Stidham and one of the league's top receiving corps for 2018. After all, Stidham’s 3,158 passing yards in his first year on campus ranked second for a single season in program history. He also tossed 18 touchdowns and added 153 yards and four scores on the ground. Stidham’s 10 passing plays of 50 yards or more ranked fifth nationally among FBS quarterbacks last season.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]