Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

If our defense improve in the run game and can play hard all 4 quarters, I believe there's a possibility that the Flames can create some upsets. Although we may have a rough first season in the FBS as the other teams who transitioned before us, but that doesn't mean that we have to go the same route.
It is a good thing we don't play Kennesaw State again, that would be a certain loss. I mean they only averaged 9 passes a game and we defended them like they were running a pass-heavy pro set, instead of the option. Did I mention, they are were only in their 3rd year of playing football? Extremely poor coaching.
flameshaw wrote:It is a good thing we don't play Kennesaw State again, that would be a certain loss. I mean they only averaged 9 passes a game and we defended them like they were running a pass-heavy pro set, instead of the option. Did I mention, they are were only in their 3rd year of playing football? Extremely poor coaching.

The article articulated that pretty well. We had good pass D without any run defense to compliment. We also had a lot of turnover on the D Line so that should help. Lord knows it can't get worse.

FBS Opponents will be better equipped to analyze and attack our weaknesses.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:5-7 would be a major coup. However, it would be detrimental to the long term success of the program.
This is such a hard place to be as a fan.
Yes it is. The only other time I have been as conflicted, was when JM was nearing the end of his MBB tenure at LU. We had reached a plateau and weren't getting any better. Unfortunately, we did worse after he left. I don't think there is any chance of that happening, when the current football regime is FINALLY let go. As a 25+ year season ticket holder, I want us to win, but not at the expense of the long-term health of the program.

St. Francis
KSU
Monmouth
etc. Beyond embarrassing.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:5-7 would be a major coup. However, it would be detrimental to the long term success of the program.
This is such a hard place to be as a fan.
I don't care who the coaching staff is as long as we have results and "all the glory goes to God."
To God be the glory!
I'm looking at the long term for the future of the football program and I don't see Gill as the prominent head coach. Again, Gill seem like a good guy, but if we actually want to progress as a whole in the next few season, then I believe a new coach and coaching staff is needed. Gill is not the only coach who is a believer and I'm sure there is a man out there who is strong in the faith and can create a dominant program and culture here in Lynchburg.
I am still on #FireGill but I believe he has set the bar for the faith aspect of the job that future coaches will be judged by. I would absolutely be enthralled if we have 8 or 9 wins this season, even 6 or 7 would exceed expectations of nearly any staff with a transitioning program.

That said, I am sure there are other coaches that are good fits and available. I will not root against the team just to ensure that we make a move at HC.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:In all seriousness, what would our record have to be in order for some to change their mind about firing Gill?
It'll take multiple years and a change in philosophy to change my mind.
This is key in my mind. Very little change so far regardless of results. If we see more of the same with no innovation or adaptability to opponents strength and weaknesses, it's time to move on.
I always go back to Dale Layer. That run in the big South tournament was so much fun as a fan but probably for long term success really set out basketball program back.

If we some how win 6 or 7 games this season in football it will feel great as a fan temporarily until Turner Gill returns another year and we go back to underachieving.

I always feel really bad because Turner Gill is such a likeable guy. Maybe he will surprise us all this season and change some things up .....
We ain't winning 6-7 games this season even if Nick Saban was coaching. SBNation says possibly we could end up 5-7 but if you look at it closely we are favored in 2 ONLY. So for me anything above 2 would be okay, though I'd love to see 4-8.
To change my mind about Gill would have to be 5-7 with a big win (UVA) or 6-6. I would still be concerned about future success but that would be enough in my mind to keep him another two years or so. Now if he were to win 7+ you’d have to give him three more years. I would just like to see a change in mentality. But for now I’m on the #firegill train.
There is no record next year that would change my mind. After 6 years, we have seen all he has. He is a very nice man, good Christian, etc. I hope they can find a place for him to contribute, somewhere at the university, just far away from the football field. The guy has no fire, little personality and no conception of offensive/defensive imagination.
Past time to move on. One must also ask, why he isn't on anyone else's radar for a HC job? My guess is, they see what most of us see.
flameshaw wrote:There is no record next year that would change my mind. After 6 years, we have seen all he has. He is a very nice man, good Christian, etc. I hope they can find a place for him to contribute, somewhere at the university, just far away from the football field. The guy has no fire, little personality and no conception of offensive/defensive imagination.
Past time to move on. One must also ask, why he isn't on anyone else's radar for a HC job? My guess is, they see what most of us see.
As I remember, Auburn was looking at him a little while before he became the HC at Liberty. It seem like they didn’t even nudge to get him at Auburn. I do also believe they saw what you’re talking about. I will also agree with you flameshaw; Coach Gill has no fire.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:hmmm, do I smell the #fireGill crowd warming up yet again :D
Sorry we’re not high on the kookaid like you are.

I expect 3-9 this year. Maybe 2-10. I expect Gill will win a game no one expects, and either lose to an FCS or a winnable home game.
The couple previews i read really called out wimberley and exposed the defensivse problems with data that we as fans like to see but wasnt really tracked at fcs level. Its been repeated by me and others for the last 2 pmus years but we actually graded out positively in the secondary and had a solid run stuffing lb combo in mckinney and mcginty yet we could not stop the run or generate any pressure. The d line had veey little talent outside of wells and it showed. It will be heavily exploited this year if the defensive scheme isnt overhauled.

Offensively when you have buckshot and Agg supplemented by king farrow and barrett (huge pickup imho) You can put up the points to win a couple shootouts.

I would still say 4 and 8 if i had to make one guess. 3 and 9 wouldnt surprise me either.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]