Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

jbock13 wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:hmmm, do I smell the #fireGill crowd warming up yet again :D
Sorry we’re not high on the kookaid like you are.

I expect 3-9 this year. Maybe 2-10. I expect Gill will win a game no one expects, and either lose to an FCS or a winnable home game.
That’s been the LU MO for every coach. Just stakes are higher now
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:There is no record next year that would change my mind. After 6 years, we have seen all he has. He is a very nice man, good Christian, etc. I hope they can find a place for him to contribute, somewhere at the university, just far away from the football field. The guy has no fire, little personality and no conception of offensive/defensive imagination.
Past time to move on. One must also ask, why he isn't on anyone else's radar for a HC job? My guess is, they see what most of us see.
As I remember, Auburn was looking at him a little while before he became the HC at Liberty. It seem like they didn’t even nudge to get him at Auburn. I do also believe they saw what you’re talking about. I will also agree with you flameshaw; Coach Gill has no fire.
Auburn was never the least bit interested in Gill. That whole tempest in a teapot was the result of Charles Barkley suggesting him after he had the good year at Buffalo because at the moment he was the closest thing to a "hot commodity" among the few black coaches around.

There have been great coaches who did not show a lot of fire outwardly. Not saying TG is one of them, but if the results come, he deserves to stay.
olldflame wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:There is no record next year that would change my mind. After 6 years, we have seen all he has. He is a very nice man, good Christian, etc. I hope they can find a place for him to contribute, somewhere at the university, just far away from the football field. The guy has no fire, little personality and no conception of offensive/defensive imagination.
Past time to move on. One must also ask, why he isn't on anyone else's radar for a HC job? My guess is, they see what most of us see.
As I remember, Auburn was looking at him a little while before he became the HC at Liberty. It seem like they didn’t even nudge to get him at Auburn. I do also believe they saw what you’re talking about. I will also agree with you flameshaw; Coach Gill has no fire.
Auburn was never the least bit interested in Gill. That whole tempest in a teapot was the result of Charles Barkley suggesting him after he had the good year at Buffalo because at the moment he was the closest thing to a "hot commodity" among the few black coaches around.

There have been great coaches who did not show a lot of fire outwardly. Not saying TG is one of them, but if the results come, he deserves to stay.
Like Tom Osbourne (Nebraska)!!
I enjoy reading our opponents predictions.
UNT at Liberty

UNT did some schedule maneuvering over the last few years and wound up with a game at Liberty in its final nonconference game of the year. The Flames stunned Baylor last year in Waco and finished 6-5. Liberty is investing in athletics and has a program on the rise, but UNT will take care of business on the road.

Prediction: UNT 30, Liberty 24
https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/unt-gam ... ac987.html
Kansas football is listed at No. 121 just below the East Carolina Pirates and just ahead of Ball State. Former Kansas football head coach Turner Gill’s Liberty Flames made the list three spots above the Jayhawks. This fall, Gill’s team will play their first season of FBS football. Yet, they are ranked ahead of the Jayhawks.
https://throughthephog.com/2018/05/08/k ... r-9-teams/

:D
New Mexico State University has announced Homecoming 2018 celebrations Oct. 4-6, 2018, in Las Cruces.

Starting early that week, the NMSU alumni association will host various events and gatherings, ending with the Homecoming football game Saturday, Oct. 6, against the Liberty University Flames.
https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/l ... 582706002/
TH Spangler wrote:I enjoy reading our opponents predictions.
UNT at Liberty

UNT did some schedule maneuvering over the last few years and wound up with a game at Liberty in its final nonconference game of the year. The Flames stunned Baylor last year in Waco and finished 6-5. Liberty is investing in athletics and has a program on the rise, but UNT will take care of business on the road.

9-3? Seems more than a little ambitious considering they are consistently ranked near us.
Class of 20Something wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:I enjoy reading our opponents predictions.
UNT at Liberty

9-3? Seems more than a little ambitious considering they are consistently ranked near us.
I watched their bowl game last year, I think we can hang with them. Troy worries me? Watched their game also, they are a hard hitting team. Hopefully they lost a lot of Sr's on defence last year.
Troy The Trojans need to replace quarterback Brandon Silvers, but they’re deep almost everywhere else on offense thanks to coach Neal Brown’s scheme—which rolls in waves of players on a regular basis and creates a perpetually experienced group.

Troy and Appalachian State likely will fight for the Sun Belt title, but the Trojans have a chance to make national headlines when they host Boise State in Week 1 and when they travel to Nebraska in Week 3.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... t-virginia
ballcoach15 wrote:Our game with Army will be interesting. Army is one of top "running teams" in the nation. Can our defense stop the run at West Point ?
Being that we haven't stopped the run in at least 6 years, I don't see us starting now. Hopefully, I am wrong. If I thought we had a chance, I would make the trip to WP. Would love to see the campus. I will just wait until we play them again.
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Our game with Army will be interesting. Army is one of top "running teams" in the nation. Can our defense stop the run at West Point ?
Being that we haven't stopped the run in at least 6 years, I don't see us starting now. Hopefully, I am wrong. If I thought we had a chance, I would make the trip to WP. Would love to see the campus. I will just wait until we play them again.
Class of 20Something wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Maybe you can point out a few times when we did stop the run in the last many years? I can point to many, many that we didn't. That would be more clever than your gif, (which is a good one), but unless you are pointing out the fact that our run defense is broken, in a rut and hasn't changed, it really doesn't apply to anything relevant to our current football state of affairs. I really wish you could prove otherwise. Ignoring the problem, or pretending it doesn't exist, doesn't make it go away. 8)
I can both be a realist and recognize it while also not bringing it up at every single opportunity. I can't imagine how exhausting it is to constantly only talk about the negative aspects of our team for 8 months.

We stopped the run more frequently than you've commented about anything other than stopping the run.
Class of 20Something wrote:I can both be a realist and recognize it while also not bringing it up at every single opportunity. I can't imagine how exhausting it is to constantly only talk about the negative aspects of our team for 8 months.

We stopped the run more frequently than you've commented about anything other than stopping the run.
I have acknowledged anything positive that has happened, and have even been positive about Mr. Gill as a great human being. You have to admit, there isn't really much to be positive about for the last few years on the football field. Remember St. Francis, KSU, G-W, Monmouth, ISU,etc? Yes, we beat Baylor and it was the biggest win in program history, we have also had some of the worst losses in the programs history. I will put my 25+ years of purchasing season tickets, playing on and financially contributing to the team, against anyone on this board, as concrete evidence of positive support.
It isn't exhausting to me at all to point out the problems we have as a team. It is meant to be constructive and informative. There are others who do exactly the same regarding other sports. Some might get tired of hearing the reality, but I don't really care. If someone is able to convince me otherwise and/or point out where I am incorrect, I will HAPPILY be more positive. But seeing as we pretty much have the right to free speech here, you can choose to read my posts or not. I can promise I won't lose any sleep either way. Most who contribute here, have never played the game(s), that they talk about and don't share the perspective of those who have. I will say, we have some of the best cheerleaders, wannabe's and kool-aid drinkers, I have ever read after though. That is why I keep coming back, the entertainment value is very special. Thanks for your contributions. Carry on. 8)
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]