Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... e.amp.html
This would be a deterrant to the "sky" kickoff, which is something we have used with Probert, who is better at getting under the kick than Lunsford was. I don't see a lot of fair catches being called though, unless it is mandated by the coach. The KR guy is pretty much always going to think he can run it back outside the 25. More of an incentive now to turn the kicker loose and try to kick it through the endzone or to kick it low toward the sideline.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I think it’s outrageous that one has to pay money just to catch a football.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I think it’s outrageous that one has to pay money just to catch a football.
:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It comes into play more on punts than kickoffs, but sometimes failure to call for a "fair" catch results in a "fare" catch. You pay for it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote:I think it’s outrageous that one has to pay money just to catch a football.
:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
I knew someone was gonna make that joke...
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Android has a mind of it's own sometime. :lol: But it still corrects three of mine for every one it screws up. :D

Blaming it on the android, I guess that's passing the "buck". :lol:
By CCWMichael
Terrible rule change. This feels more like a fair chance to win change rather than about fair competition.
However, the squib punt will now be developed and perfected
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:Terrible rule change. This feels more like a fair chance to win change rather than about fair competition.
The rule change is only for kickoffs.
By CCWMichael
olldflame wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:Terrible rule change. This feels more like a fair chance to win change rather than about fair competition.
The rule change is only for kickoffs.
:dontgetit wondering what I was doing ... errrrr squib kick :football
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Traditionalists should be happy right now. Eliminating kickoffs has been seriously discussed. They are by their very nature the most dangerous plays in football.
By CCWMichael
olldflame wrote:Traditionalists should be happy right now. Eliminating kickoffs has been seriously discussed. They are by their very nature the most dangerous plays in football.
Then we can eliminate the check in hockey ... speeds on ice can be near 100mph.
Let's stop being lame and play ball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Current rules are lame. Not enough concussions. They need to bring back the FLYING WEDGE.

(That was sarcasm BTW.) If they don't address safety issues, the time will come when we won't have football to kick around any more. Already a growing number of parents are refusing to let their sons play.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That last sentence is legit. Even here in football-obsessed Texas a number of parents that run in our circles are pushing their kids toward other sports. A side benfit could be stronger hoops talent emerging from Texas as less athletes commit to year-round football early.
By Class of 20Something
I'm actually hoping soccer gets the Lions share of redirects. The US has the athlete's to make MLS competitive on an international level but it's easy to argue that soccer is the 5th most consumed professional sport.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It wasn't that long ago that it was even further down the list behind NASCAR and fight sports (MMA & Boxing).

The interesting dynamic in this disussions is the influx of Aussies has changed the approach to kick/punt games considerably in the past few years. We have moved from a brute strength part fo the game to a more nuanced tactical challenge. I think that is good for everyone.
By CCWMichael
olldflame wrote:Current rules are lame. Not enough concussions. They need to bring back the FLYING WEDGE.

(That was sarcasm BTW.) If they don't address safety issues, the time will come when we won't have football to kick around any more. Already a growing number of parents are refusing to let their sons play.
This addresses my post to a T. Concussions have always been there, we are just acutely aware of them now.
People choose their sport, MMA, Hockey, and football. More knowledge of the risks is good. Let players make a wise choice. If you make the choice the consequence is potentially there with full knowledge. What needs addressing the most is what has been lost the last several years and that is tackling or hitting with basic HEADS Up skills.
Maybe we need QB like chest protection for batters in baseball, just in case.
Some many areas hold the potentialto be micro managed but if you change the number of mound visits per game it still essentially alters nothing.
Safe football is a myth --- safer --- but at what cost.
Let some walk away with full knowledge. Those who play will be fully invested.
Solution 1 is to stop hitting that causes concussions or,
2 hit because that is what football is ....
Rules have changed over the years without altering the basics of the game (I love recalling Bubba Smith and many others).
It is a fast sport and beginning to legislate that is the end of the game.
There is risk at every position ans especaially those involved with the speed of the game.
What about tackling below the knees? Hitting a receiver while he is in the air or the act of a catch? Wrapping up a player and driving him into the ground?
Maybe we can soften the ground or esatblish speed limits. Hey, maybe even just make it touch in certain circumstances to allow for some form of contact.
The biggest risk is the loss of a fan base that expects competition and the full contact of it.
Penalties for the blatant of impulsive hits (GRONK) and fines. Money talks to the pros. At college level you miss a quarter or two.
No denying it is a dangerous game. It always has been. When rules begin to take out the heart of a game it will fade.
IMHO
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If a player fair catches a kick off, ball should be spotted at that spot, same as for a punt. But I think most kick returners will take their chance for a big kick return and ignore the fair catch.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If a player fair catches a kick off, ball should be spotted at that spot, same as for a punt. But I think most kick returners will take their chance for a big kick return and ignore the fair catch.
That will happen a lot on kicks that are fielded outside the 10. On high kicks closer to the goal line, I think coaches will lay down the law for the KR to call the fair catch and take the ball on the 25. There will always be judgments made by the KR, but let a guy get stuffed inside the 20 a few times and he will find himself watching from the sideline while somebody else makes those decisions.
By CCWMichael
If I can add. Fundamentals have been lost in the modern game. Look at Liberty's lack of tackling or wanting to wrap up.
So, a small guy goes to tackle a large guy he wants to get lower so he lowers his head because he thinks it is the best way to get him down.... with no wrapping arms around any part of the body. (no fundamentals). And, no fundamentals creates injury.

The NFL heads up program illustrates the importance of fundamental ball play. Now the NFL and College may begin to expect fundamenatal play and if you are a program behind the curve you will suffer. I grew up in Penn State territory where fundamental football is an expectation and still is even after Paterno. Note, most PSU players that make the NFL cut have longer than average careers (Fundamental play).

No need to cut out important tactical parts of the game. Play fundamentally sound football for starters. Safe football is a pipe dream or myth. Safer is possible.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]