Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote:I heard from a source that Ballcoach likes Nickelback.

That is dangerous close to a TOS violation right there. Those kinds of vile accusations need to have documented proof. Like receipts from Columbia House or BMG Music :lol:
I vote for Purple as music director as long as we have this classic!

Last edited by CCWMichael on April 2nd, 2018, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CCWMichael
CCWMichael wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

That is dangerous close to a TOS violation right there. Those kinds of vile accusations need to have documented proof. Like receipts from Columbia House or BMG Music :lol:

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I’d have someone do that live.

[youtube]dJ2ptrXZr8U[/youtube]
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:I’d have someone do that live.

I genuflect to your superiority[/quote]

Wait’ll you get a load of this

[youtube]kXgNb7ZCtcI[/youtube]
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:I’d have someone do that live.

I genuflect to your superiority
Wait’ll you get a load of this

[youtube]kXgNb7ZCtcI[/youtube][/quote]

C'mon Ballcoach, this is AWESOME! Right?
By CCWMichael
I just realized after my last post I may have summoned from the depths of this forum an unleashing I may never have seen the likes of before.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:I just realized after my last post I may have summoned from the depths of this forum an unleashing I may never have seen the likes of before.
Stryper is touring How about having them come? Michael Sweet could speak in convo Friday. Band could play post game concert!!

Brian Head Welch could do it. He’s spoken at Convo before. Having the rest of Korn in tow might be a bit much too ask for though

[youtube]ByWWzDl_xrw[/youtube]
By Class of 20Something
So on the topic of TV schedules.

I am curious if ESPN+ is going to be included for those that already pay for the flagship channels. Essentially ESPN+ is making the watch ESPN app a separate paid service. At least that is my understanding. If that is the case, LU may seek other means of distributing their content. I would actually think Stadium, who has OTA syndication throughout the country, digital presence on PlutoTV, and also streams on Twitter, may be an efficient way of getting into a majority of homes.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Stadium I don't think has the kind of market reach that ESPN and it's family of networks does...I could see us trying to get on the CBS Sports Network and even Fox (remember we were on FS1 or 2 for the Baylor game) and it's subsidiary networks as well
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The issue isn’t just “getting in” homes. Liberty now produces something with growing consumer value (example: football programming).

From what I can tell by reading (and I’m no expert), E+ is where ESPN is putting their future eggs. Everything behind a pay wall. ESPN3 may be gone in as little 2-3 years. This is how ESPN is trying to monetize in the evolving broadcast marketplace. Networks put content online at low/no cost when the technology was just emerging. Consumers turned to “cord-cutting” when it revealed itself to be less expensive and more available to their desired platforms. Networks - and ESPN is still the behemoth - have built their platforms in a smart long term plan of gaining consumer confidence, then slapping a price on it. It’s kind of like a drug: get them addicted, then slowly raise the price. The more of the drug you control, the more you can control the price.

Stadium will not be a good option because they have no money there for buying rights. ESPN is buying it all up to become king again. The only other one battling is Fox but there are limited resources there, so they have to pick their battles carefully. Free content is going away, which some may not receive well. But if someone does something well, Rule #1 is “don’t do it for free!” Look to recent Ivy, Sun Belt and CUSA deals with ESPN: all content is moving behind a pay wall.

Cord-cutting has its benefits. But I predict lower cost will not remain as one of them. Biggest question: will cord-cutters push back and refuse to pay? Time may tell...
By Volunteer_Flame
Posts Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:I assume all home games will be broadcast by LFSN on ESPN 3?
I think CBSSN broadcasts Army home games, which would be great.
Other away games? Troy? NMSU? Auburn? UVA? UMASS? New Mexico?
Liberty has not hyped this at all. I would have thought we would be boasting about being available is so many million homes.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I got an email about Liberty having a Roku app. Not sure if that is a really new thing or not but it looks like games will be streamed through that app as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Still awaiting a Fire TV app. Market share is based on educated guesses int he industry but Roku & FireTV platforms are believed to have roughly the same number of users.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:CBS holds C-USA football rights, what's the chance of them coming to Lynchburg for our ODU and North Texas games on the CBSSN, FB or Stadium?

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/3/14 ... th=general
C-USAs football rights break down to,

ESPN - 5 games
CBSSN - 6 games
American Sports Network - 15-30 games
BieN -10 games
Stadium - Undetermined
FloSports - 3 games

Now, I'm sure we have the rights to broadcast our home games. I think the admin is going to think outside the box with TV contracts for football. They are bankrupting networks that overpaid right now. I expect that we are looking at our recruiting footprint and where our other prospective students and alumni are located. Who knows, they may make game by game contracts. I expect someone to be able to hype up the ODU game enough to actually get us some good air time somewhere.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:They are bankrupting networks that overpaid right now.
Which networks are in bankruptcy?
By Class of 20Something
SumItUp wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:They are bankrupting networks that overpaid right now.
Which networks are in bankruptcy?
Hyperbole based in reality. Look at what ESPN did to it's staff they can't afford.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:CBS holds C-USA football rights, what's the chance of them coming to Lynchburg for our ODU and North Texas games on the CBSSN, FB or Stadium?

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/3/14 ... th=general
C-USAs football rights break down to,

ESPN - 5 games
CBSSN - 6 games
American Sports Network - 15-30 games
BieN -10 games
Stadium - Undetermined
FloSports - 3 games

Now, I'm sure we have the rights to broadcast our home games. I think the admin is going to think outside the box with TV contracts for football. They are bankrupting networks that overpaid right now. I expect that we are looking at our recruiting footprint and where our other prospective students and alumni are located. Who knows, they may make game by game contracts. I expect someone to be able to hype up the ODU game enough to actually get us some good air time somewhere.
If we play a C-USA team at home and wok out a TV deal does C-USA have to agree and are they paid?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
This might put our game with ODU on ESPN 3

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ ... 9bb4a.html
Conference USA hoping to reach deal with ESPN
May 21, 2018 Updated 12 hrs ago

It appears Conference USA will have a presence on ESPN after all.

The league is talking with the network about “mostly digital” offerings, commissioner Judy MacLeod said on a podcast on the website Underdog Dynasty, which covers C-USA, American Athletic Conference, Sun Belt Conference and independent football.

“Mostly digital” would mean ESPN 3, a streaming service that has been C-USA’s primary outlet in recent years.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/5/ ... dy-macleod
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Based on my understanding, we own all of the media rights for our home football games since we are an independent. As a result we can negotiate with whomever we want to carry the game. Otherwise it is LFSN and the usual outlets.

You can expect a similar situation in the A-Sun to the Big South when it comes to other sports.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Based on my understanding, we own all of the media rights for our home football games since we are an independent. As a result we can negotiate with whomever we want to carry the game. Otherwise it is LFSN and the usual outlets.

You can expect a similar situation in the A-Sun to the Big South when it comes to other sports.
Looks like ASUN is hooked up with ESPN3.

Stadium network would be a good option for ODU - Liberty football. Sly would they only televise it in the Norfolk Portsmth Newpt News area if its a sellout? Would blackouts be in play?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Blackouts are only for the home team's market (in this case, Roanoke-Lynchburg) and only if the home team is hoping to protect ticket sales. Based on our philosophy of trying to get our product in front of as many folks as possible, I don't see any blackouts any time soon for our home games.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
CUSA just released the 2018 Football Broadcast schedule and ODU/LU isn't on the PDF. Would assume this is going to be LFSN and either ESPN3 or ESPN+ pick up. Looking forward to coming up for a home game as it has been a while.
By DCAbloob
givemethemic wrote:CUSA just released the 2018 Football Broadcast schedule and ODU/LU isn't on the PDF. Would assume this is going to be LFSN and either ESPN3 or ESPN+ pick up. Looking forward to coming up for a home game as it has been a while.
Not surprising since C-USA doesn't hold the TV rights to the game and Liberty hasn't made its own announcement yet.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]