Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
I assume all home games will be broadcast by LFSN on ESPN 3?
I think CBSSN broadcasts Army home games, which would be great.
Other away games? Troy? NMSU? Auburn? UVA? UMASS? New Mexico?
Liberty has not hyped this at all. I would have thought we would be boasting about being available is so many million homes.
By Jonathan Carone
We don’t tend to hype up things like that under Ian. It’s been subtle but our marketing has moved to more substance based than hype based. Or maybe I’m immune to the hype at this point.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:We don’t tend to hype up things like that under Ian. It’s been subtle but our marketing has moved to more substance based than hype based. Or maybe I’m immune to the hype at this point.
I actually think Ian was fairly hands off last year. I think he wanted to observe before implementing change for the sake of his own want. I think we are just starting to see what he will do. I think there will be a few changes over the next two years that will be truly apparent that are his decisions. For example, I think adding reserved lots at lower levels of the flames club is his brain child. Renaming Member to Talon. I absolutely think someone in athletics lives on here lurking to poach ideas.

I think we will see game day ops change a lot(Replays on the video board, out of town scores on the ribbon, other game highlights during timeouts.) I think we will see LFSN sign with something bigger than ESPN 3.

I think Ian is savvy enough to wait for the right opportunity. He may be quiet but he is deliberate.
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote:I absolutely think someone in athletics lives on here lurking to poach ideas.
I don’t know about poaching ideas but I do know most of the department reads things here.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I absolutely think someone in athletics lives on here lurking to poach ideas.
I don’t know about poaching ideas but I do know most of the department reads things here.
I mean, I would. Free ideas you don't have to pay for.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I do know most of the department reads things here.
I bet YOU do :D

IM waiting for some kickoff times for home games. I don't think many FBS games kick at 3:30. Usually noonish or 6/7ish.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I do know most of the department reads things here.
I bet YOU do :D

IM waiting for some kickoff times for home games. I don't think many FBS games kick at 3:30. Usually noonish or 6/7ish.
On that!!!! Keep the 6PM kickoffs!!! Much more family friendly but I get to keep my football under the lights.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Early season a 6PM kick is great.
Late season 3:30 for those cold nights. Helps keep the southerners at the game in the second half.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ive said this before but I think that we ought to have two games in each broadcast window: 12 or 1pm. 3 or 3:30 PM and 6 or 7 PM
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Last season, game day operations was probably the worst it has been in history of LU. Everything we do needs to be changed, except entrance from tunnel.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Last season, game day operations was probably the worst it has been in history of LU. Everything we do needs to be changed, except entrance from tunnel.
I thought you said earlier that it needed replaced :dontgetit
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:Last season, game day operations was probably the worst it has been in history of LU. Everything we do needs to be changed, except entrance from tunnel.
It could be that they had an entirely new staff who'd never worked together for football games.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
As crazy as it sounds i have to agree with ballcoach. Most everything seemed off last year. The video and the music were the worst parts. We must have played every teenie bopping techno song known to man. I was actually dying to hear the band at times. The whole process certainly needs to be fbs ready as well. I feel stupid even saying that slogan after all these years.
By Class of 20Something
jinxy wrote:As crazy as it sounds i have to agree with ballcoach. Most everything seemed off last year. The video and the music were the worst parts. We must have played every teenie bopping techno song known to man. I was actually dying to hear the band at times. The whole process certainly needs to be fbs ready as well. I feel stupid even saying that slogan after all these years.
I'm okay with the dubstep bass drops if it keeps 8000 students crazed during the game. I just want replays and some out of town scores.
By Jonathan Carone
I know I’m old now but I hope our game day experience never stops catering to the students. They are what makes our stadium so unique.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree with Jon on the catering to students. There is a reason why, even with the kids treating it as a social experience, we had one of the loudest student sides in the Big South. I also stand by my point about spreading out the game times. I think the ODU game needs to be in prime time (I still have that pipe dream of having College Gameday for that game and seeing how the students would react to them saying they were coming to your city) but I think by having games in each window we can maximize attendance AND TV exposure
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I know I’m old now but I hope our game day experience never stops catering to the students. They are what makes our stadium so unique.

I agree for the most part. You need to give them their techno and hiphop stuff, but I do believe we could mix it up a bit. You would be surprised how students can get into the occasional :oldhag tune. Think Motown. I don't think they will mind replays either, as long as it's not overdone.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The replays are the part of the experience that I think students would appreciate. It has felt odd in my rare appearance at the Bill in recent years to see so few replays in relation to what I see at other stadiums.
By Jonathan Carone
I totally agree with you guys on replays and throwing in older songs. Those things will always be popular. My overall point was that I hope we continue to cater to the younger game day desires and not older ones.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
This sounds like the traditional hymns vs modern praise and worship music debate going on in a lot of churches.
Sorry, totally irrelevant but just an observation.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I totally agree with you guys on replays and throwing in older songs. Those things will always be popular. My overall point was that I hope we continue to cater to the younger game day desires and not older ones.
Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believin' are pretty solid hits. I'm sure throwing a few I Want It That Way and songs of that kind, I mean top hits of a decade would work well. They're LU students, I think there are probably a few that get the "rush" of being rebellious while being rowdy at football games.
By Jonathan Carone
flamehunter wrote:This sounds like the traditional hymns vs modern praise and worship music debate going on in a lot of churches.
Sorry, totally irrelevant but just an observation.
You're spot on. It's a very similar mindset.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believin'
Ever taken a hard look at the lyrics of those two songs? Ever heard the lyricists explain what the songs are about?

:D :shock:

I’m just saying, it surprised me.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]