Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Texas vs. Maryland (in Landover, MD) Noon FS1

ODU vs. LU 6:00pm would fit nicely here on FS1 :?:

UTSA at Arizona State 10:30pm FS1

Maybe? Or FS2
Last edited by TH Spangler on June 14th, 2018, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Texas vs. Maryland (in Landover, MD) Noon FS1

ODU vs. LU 6:00pm would fit nicely here on FS1 :?:

UTSA at Arizona State 10:30pm FS1

Maybe? Or FS2
I’m shocked ABC hasn’t picked it up yet.
By Ewglenn
BuryYourDuke wrote:I mean why wouldn’t one of the major cable sports broadcast networks want to air what is probably the lowest possible quality FBS vs FBS match up in the country in week 1?
1) there aren’t a ton of great games that weekend
2) a potential rivalry game
3) a decent amount of interest in the Virginia area
4) a sold out stadium looks good on tv
5) a lot of story lines (move to fbs, IM, etc)
By cruzan_flame13
Ewglenn wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:I mean why wouldn’t one of the major cable sports broadcast networks want to air what is probably the lowest possible quality FBS vs FBS match up in the country in week 1?
1) there aren’t a ton of great games that weekend
2) a potential rivalry game
3) a decent amount of interest in the Virginia area
4) a sold out stadium looks good on tv
5) a lot of story lines (move to fbs, IM, etc)
Interesting points but it will go right over many heads. People are just used to the juggernauts that this will just be stupid to them. It’s like a minor programming in which this will most likely be mocked than reasonably analyzed and discussed. This goes to all personnel of sports broadcasting and the minions who watch them.
By Class of 20Something
I'm going to try and read between the lines here. Because so far this is all or nothing, I think that is how Liberty is viewing it. Liberty wants to find a full home for all home games rather than piece out the schedule to whomever will take it.

I like the idea of regional on stadium if LFSN offers a way for out of market to stream(for free since Stadium is free.) Start with Virginia and the Carolinas then hit the ASun footprint as viewership increases.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Why does everyone expect things for free?

Pretty sure you’re all going to be paying for every LU home game in some form in the near future.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:NMSU Has announced start times. 10/6 Liberty at NMSU is at 6 PM MT

That guarantees the requirement of a night stay in Las Cruces/El Paso. That probably pushes me more toward the game in Albucrackie.
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:Why does everyone expect things for free?

Pretty sure you’re all going to be paying for every LU home game in some form in the near future.
Because I expect them to cut a deal with Stadium, which is free.
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:I’m genuinely asking, why do you “expect” a Stadium deal?
I think ESPN is overextended. Fox sports is never included in the same package with providers(look as slingTV and DirectTV Now.) CBS sports is a pain to get for cord cutters. Stadium has seemingly appeared overnight, free, included in basic cable packages, and is creating their own original content. Stadium streams OTA, and on Pluto TV and over several social media methods. Their video quality has consistently matched ESPN and sometimes surpassed it. Stadium is postured as the network with the most room to grow. Likewise, the Liberty football brand is ready to grow in kind with it.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote:In the third part of my Q&A with Ian McCaw, I asked the question about television and if was in negotiations with a network to televise the football games. Here is his answer:

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/damie ... 785ca.html
Interesting response on playing Notre Dame. International games are neat but at the same time playing ND in Ireland or Japan would be a little disappointing. Because only a handful of us would be able to attend the match up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ted_States

https://www.onefootdown.com/2017/7/12/1 ... ally-sucks
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Well done, Damien! You gave us the insights that most of us crave on this board.

If you have enough time to prepare, seeing the Flames play the Irish in Dublin is not as cost-prohibitive as it would have been just a few years ago. I think it would be epic! Of course, FFG could give us better intel on what that were to be like. ND isn't playing anywhere overseas outside of Dublin. They have too much money to be made in South Bend with a home date.

I am excited to hear about the upcoming dates that we have secured but not announced. I hope there are Texan or Louisianan road dates because right now there are only three within reasonable distance of Houston and two of them are back-to-back weeks in 2021. I have been spoiled with these Baylor & SMU games recently.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Well done, Damien! You gave us the insights that most of us crave on this board.

If you have enough time to prepare, seeing the Flames play the Irish in Dublin is not as cost-prohibitive as it would have been just a few years ago. I think it would be epic! Of course, FFG could give us better intel on what that were to be like. ND isn't playing anywhere overseas outside of Dublin. They have too much money to be made in South Bend with a home date.

I am excited to hear about the upcoming dates that we have secured but not announced. I hope there are Texan or Louisianan road dates because right now there are only three within reasonable distance of Houston and two of them are back-to-back weeks in 2021. I have been spoiled with these Baylor & SMU games recently.

Shamrock Series
https://gameday.nd.edu/about/shamrock-series/
By Ewglenn
Sly Fox wrote:Well done, Damien! You gave us the insights that most of us crave on this board.

Well at least you aren’t in South Dakota. I’m just waiting for Nebraska or Minnesota. Iowa and Iowa State would be acceptable as well.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I went to Dublin a couple years ago for work purposes so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I would of liked. Seems like a great excuse to make a trip there and this time take the wife with me.

If it happens I'm going to make that happen.

With that said I really appreaciate the coverage Damien provides. Between his coverage and ASOR we really have been given some great content as of late.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Liberty has a valuable commodity (football/all sports programming). Stadium broadcasts content for free. ESPN+ charges for content. Presumably the entity that charges consumers for its content will have more money to pay for the content it acquires and then disseminates. Either Liberty does the responsible thing and acquires top dollar for its commodity, or you are asking Liberty to take less so you can watch it for less.

Added bonus, ESPN has promoted “10,000+ college events streaming annually.”

I know what I am predicting. Seems pretty clear-cut to me.
By Jonathan Carone
Liberty and ESPN have a great relationship. I see no reason we wouldn’t keep our content on the biggest provider in the country.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Things are changing so rapidly, with media mergers and new delivery methods, long term deals have to be difficult to enter?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]