Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Saw in N&A this morning that spring game is canned because of construction.
I think they are going to accelerate two portions of this construction. I think the grandstand will be complete with bleachers and the hill will be sodded before commencement.

They will leave the scoreboard until the day after commencement, and the tower and colonnade will be the final portions this summer.

I do not think they can afford to lose the potential seating for commencement though. It is such a crowded event, being able to show the stadium can handle it will be a good omen for the ODU game.
By LUAlum1215
The new upper deck will not be available seating for commencement. The plan is to have the pathway from baptist to student side done but the upper deck will not be. I imagine the seats will be in place but because of the construction still ongoing it’s probably a safety concern.
By GillsHill-LU
Registration Days Posts
The New Video Board display will be installed before Commencement. The ribbons and the additional scoreboard which is going on the south Endzone will be installed directly after.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if they looked at having it at City Stadium. Heritage new field? I’m thinking this could have been a great opportunity for Community Outreach. But what do I know
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if they looked at having it at City Stadium. Heritage new field? I’m thinking this could have been a great opportunity for Community Outreach. But what do I know
Where would you seat everyone? Park?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if they looked at having it at City Stadium. Heritage new field? I’m thinking this could have been a great opportunity for Community Outreach. But what do I know
Where would you seat everyone? Park?
At City Stadium? Is that undergoing renovation too?
By Jonathan Carone
Gill is notorious for not wanting people to see practices. My guess is no spring game because of construction plays right into what he wants.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Gill is notorious for not wanting people to see practices. My guess is no spring game because of construction plays right into what he wants.
Yeah. That’s been his MO. BUT he does have bosses who are trying to promote a new FBS football program. Giving potential fans a look at the merchandise is not a bad idea
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Under the format used in previous spring games, there really wasn't much to see. Playing 2-hand touch football is different than real football.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Yeah. That’s been his MO. BUT he does have bosses who are trying to promote a new FBS football program. Giving potential fans a look at the merchandise is not a bad idea
Agree. I'm fine with cancelling it this year to avoid any unnecessary disruption of the construction. Then they will have a whole year to rethink the format with input from IM. I don't think full contact is the way to go, but there has to be a better way than what we have been doing.
By Jonathan Carone
I think if Gill wanted to have a spring game, we would've had one. We had one Rocco's year they were building the home side and just put everyone on the student side. The spring game was also a much bigger deal under Rocco because he treated it more like a game with some contact and other things. It's just philosophical differences between the two coaches. Neither is more right than the other.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think if Gill wanted to have a spring game, we would've had one. We had one Rocco's year they were building the home side and just put everyone on the student side. The spring game was also a much bigger deal under Rocco because he treated it more like a game with some contact and other things. It's just philosophical differences between the two coaches. Neither is more right than the other.
I totally agree that it is a philosophical thing and it’s neither right or wrong. BUT I think this year is different and unique. I would have liked to see the AD step in this year and say ‘Let’s put something together this year and play it at City Stadium. I know you don’t like it but you do work for me’. Don’t care if it was a 7-7 thing. Just an open practice A meet n greet. Something. Get some exposure for the Team and University for the Community.

Oh well
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think if Gill wanted to have a spring game, we would've had one. We had one Rocco's year they were building the home side and just put everyone on the student side. The spring game was also a much bigger deal under Rocco because he treated it more like a game with some contact and other things. It's just philosophical differences between the two coaches. Neither is more right than the other.
I totally agree that it is a philosophical thing and it’s neither right or wrong. BUT I think this year is different and unique. I would have liked to see the AD step in this year and say ‘Let’s put something together this year and play it at City Stadium. I know you don’t like it but you do work for me’. Don’t care if it was a 7-7 thing. Just an open practice A meet n greet. Something. Get some exposure for the Team and University for the Community.

Oh well
Is this official with no expectation to change, or is this is tentative at the moment? Where is this information (resource) coming from if you don't mind me asking?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Oh well
Is this official with no expectation to change, or is this is tentative at the moment? Where is this information (resource) coming from if you don't mind me asking?
I'd take a pass on that. Our Spring games have been more than lame enough as it is. Better IMHO to take a year off, rethink what we are doing, and reboot with an upgraded version in 2019.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU is spending a lot of money and hyping up the move to ‘take a year off’
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Please know I mean no disrespect towards anyone on this board. But, can we let the ill feelings toward the decision to keep Gill pass. The decision has been made to keep him and there is nothing any one of us can do about it. Furthermore, let's be unified as alumni and fans for the purpose of enjoying this great game God has given us. FAN THE FLAMES and ROLL TIDE!
By Class of 20Something
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Please know I mean no disrespect towards anyone on this board. But, can we let the ill feelings toward the decision to keep Gill pass. The decision has been made to keep him and there is nothing any one of us can do about it. Furthermore, let's be unified as alumni and fans for the purpose of enjoying this great game God has given us. FAN THE FLAMES and ROLL TIDE!
Not gonna happen. Gill is an awesome dude but a mediocre coach at best. Squeaking out 6-5 seasons in the Big South is pathetic results for the resources available.

I wouldn't consider myself a fan if I didn't have expectations and standards. I will be in my seats next season, just as I was this season, cheering the defense as loud as uncomfortably possible and hushing my wife with the offense on the field. But I will also chastise the coach for taking a timeout on the first offensive play of the game. I don't care if it hurts his fee fees. I'm paid for my performance in my job the same way he is. Anyone know what happens when you underperform?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Spring games are big recruiting events, another whiff imho.
I suspect this might actually play to our advantage. Without the Spring Game that is typically on a Saturday when a bunch of other schools are having their Junior Days as well, this gives us some flexibility to find a date when more prospects can be on campus. Granted there won't be the buzz from the game, but under the new recruiting timeline with Juniors ow more accessible before the early Signing Period in the Fall it could be advantageous during this transition year.

With that stated, I have no idea what there plan is going to be. I am excited that they are putting their focus on getting the stadium completed at a fastidious pace.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
jinxy wrote:Spring games are big recruiting events, another whiff imho.
I suspect this might actually play to our advantage. Without the Spring Game that is typically on a Saturday when a bunch of other schools are having their Junior Days as well, this gives us some flexibility to find a date when more prospects can be on campus. Granted there won't be the buzz from the game, but under the new recruiting timeline with Juniors ow more accessible before the early Signing Period in the Fall it could be advantageous during this transition year.

With that stated, I have no idea what there plan is going to be. I am excited that they are putting their focus on getting the stadium completed at a fastidious pace.
That’s some quality spin right there :D
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
If i was Gill, i wouldn't want anyone watching either. It was hard enough to watch regular season games last year. The tackling wasn't much different in the regular season than the spring game either. ABG 2019.
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I really enjoy the Spring game, and agree with PH...it's a good idea to give the fans a little sneak peak. May help folks with getting over last year. I mean....we do have a perfect record in our Spring game.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]