Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The Spring roster has been posted online. Notable by their absence:

Cameron Jones
Spencer Jones
Jaylon McKinney
Seth Nerness
Greg Storey
Chris Turner

The one I really :dontgetit is Nerness. Sat out a year transferring and now will have to drop a level to play anywhere else in 2018, which makes one think it may not have been his decision.

McKinney and C Jones are both graduating and had previously announced they were transferring.

S Jones I'm thinking was one of the walk-ons who got a surplus schollie last year and it won't be renewed. He forever will have his place in the annals of LU football for catching the winning touchdown against Baylor.

Storey was going to be a 5th year SR and a rotation player in the DL. He may also be graduating, and we are bringing in several new DL, which would have made it tougher to get snaps. He also missed a couple of games with an unidentified issue last year.

The talented Turner did not endear himself to the staff with indifferent play at times last year which led him to be benched. Another 5th year guy who is likely to go the grad transfer route.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Turner is probably the most frustrating. He became a hit or miss guy. But I would have liked him as a depth guy.
Turner is frustrating, but not totally unexpected.
Nerness is really puzzling.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think S. Jones is puzzling also.
Not at all. He came as a walk-on and then got a scholarship last year because we had a bunch of extra ones lying around. He cought a total of 2 passes, one of which happened to be for the winning TD against Baylor. His scholarship won't be renewed, and between recruits and players coming off redshirt, we will have 7 or 8 new WRs available next year, all more talented than him. Time to focus on the books.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I think S. Jones is puzzling also.
Not at all. He came as a walk-on and then got a scholarship last year because we had a bunch of extra ones lying around. He cought a total of 2 passes, one of which happened to be for the winning TD against Baylor. His scholarship won't be renewed, and in addition to all starters returning, between recruits and players coming off redshirt we will have 7 or 8 new WRs available next year, all more talented than him. Time to focus on the books.
PS. He was also the regular holder on place kicks last year, but there are multiple options for that job.
Last edited by olldflame on February 1st, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I thought Nerness was supposed to be a great fit for the school? Gill really has bad luck with transfers. Maybe he shouldn’t be so picky.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I thought Nerness was supposed to be a great fit for the school? Gill really has bad luck with transfers. Maybe he shouldn’t be so picky.
No idea why he isn't on the roster. I'm certainly not going to assume it's anything negative on his part. It just seems strange, and if he in fact isn't returning next year his options to play elsewhere would be to drop down a level to FCS or sit again and lose a year of eligibility.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just noticed that one of my projected position changes is already happening. Brandon Tillmon is now listed as a LB. I will not be at all surprised if he ends up starting at the Will, with Ajayi at the Mike. His HS coach, David Bennett, projected him to fill out to 230 and be an NFL prospect at LB. He has a few lbs to go, but I'm pretty sure he is already bigger than the 210 he is listed as. Would love to hear what dirty30 thinks of the move. I am thinking though that learning a new position will probably put the kibosh again on doubling up with baseball.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I suspect Dirty30 has the lowdown. I love the success we have had with spinning up safeties into LBs over the years.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Nerness transferring. Turner and storey dismissed from team per damien. Gill still hoping to sign 30. Thats gonna be tough.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I suspect Dirty30 has the lowdown. I love the success we have had with spinning up safeties into LBs over the years.
Don't be surprised if we go the other direction with a DE as well.
By Dirty 30
olldflame wrote:Just noticed that one of my projected position changes is already happening. Brandon Tillmon is now listed as a LB. I will not be at all surprised if he ends up starting at the Will, with Ajayi at the Mike. His HS coach, David Bennett, projected him to fill out to 230 and be an NFL prospect at LB. He has a few lbs to go, but I'm pretty sure he is already bigger than the 210 he is listed as. Would love to hear what dirty30 thinks of the move. I am thinking though that learning a new position will probably put the kibosh again on doubling up with baseball.
Oldflame, I hope you are doing well. Sorry I am just getting back to you guys. It has been a crazy year with school and now baseball season. I am finishing up my Masters for Education Leadership and Administration through Liberty Online. I will graduate May 19. Looking for somewhere to celebrate and looking for a house to rent for my family of 6 for that weekend if you guys know of anyone renting a house. Oldflame I have always believed Brandon could play anywhere on the field but OLB is where he can really help the defense. I agree with you 100% on this move! If you guys noticed, he played there the last two games of the season and made plays and had double digits in tackles. I know our defense was not the best this year but I think we have a chance with the guys we have coming in and coming back to have a good defense. He is up to 222 as of Sunday. They want him at 235 by August. I didn't recognize him when I was on campus for class last weekend. He looks good and so does Wells, Ajayi, Buckshot, AGG and the rest of them. They are getting after it in the weight room. He is excited about the opportunity to play there. The baseball days are gone! He is locked in on Football! Looking forward to the season. Still a little upset about no Spring Game but I understand!
By Dirty 30
olldflame wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I suspect Dirty30 has the lowdown. I love the success we have had with spinning up safeties into LBs over the years.
Don't be surprised if we go the other direction with a DE as well.
I can see that as well Oldflame. You can walk him up at DE and blitz him or line him up out on the slot receiver or 3rd receiver in trips or back out of the backfield. He loves the scheme and the things they want to do with him at the Will.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
It appears there are some walk-ons added. Also noticed there is changes in some heights and weights of the OL and DL from a year ago. I wonder who was doing the measuring and the weighing in :lol: :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:It appears there are some walk-ons added. Also noticed there is changes in some heights and weights of the OL and DL from a year ago. I wonder who was doing the measuring and the weighing in :lol: :lol:
Some interesting numbers. Good to see that 2 likely starters in the OL, Sargeant and Lozano, who were a bit undersized last year at 275 and 270, Lozano is now now up to 300 and Sargeant is 290. Biggest gainer is Ben Fiordelise, a solid rotation player who was probably bigger than the 275 he was listed at last year, but is now 325. Duff and Bounds also gained 20-25 lbs.

Frankie Hickson dropped 10 lbs, which I think is probably good. He looked like he had lost a step last year playing at 200. Several players actually are listed as an inch shorter than last year, which would tell me they are trying to be more accurate there. TE Jerome Jackson went from 6´5¨ 215 to 6´3¨ 240. Considering he has moved from safety to LB, it seems strange that Brandon Tillman is still at 210, especially considering what dirty30 has posted here. I´m thinking maybe he and some others have not been updated yet.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Roster has been updated with new photos:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 9&teamID=9

There were some interesting ¨fashion choices¨ on the part of a few of the players with long hair (what was Ricky Lester thinking?), while others took a more traditional approach. For some reason Brandon Tillman is the lone player who still has his 2017 photo up.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:Roster has been updated with new photos:

There were some interesting ¨fashion choices¨ on the part of a few of the players with long hair (what was Ricky Lester thinking?), while others took a more traditional approach. For some reason Brandon Tillman is the lone player who still has his 2017 photo up.
Buck is 180#? :shock:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Looks like the "man bun" is back, and one guy even has pig tails. :shock:
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:Looks like the "man bun" is back, and one guy even has pig tails. :shock:
I think Mack just wants to goof on fanbases looking at the roster like we did with Baylor last year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:Roster has been updated with new photos:

Buck is 180#? :shock:
Some of the weights have clearly not been updated either, including Buckshot, who is at least 190 now and Tillman, who is probably closer to 230 than 210.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Spring roster now online. In addition to the previously announced transfers, Mitchell Lewis and Fidel Ogbufen are not listed. Not surprised about Mitchell, as I believe FBs are extinct in HF system. Fidel's departure could be an indication that Huntley is indeed moving to TE. Otherwise he would likely be in the mix to start, and Freeze is known for using the TE quite a bit. Also, ND State transfer QB Henry Van Dellen is on the roster.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:Spring roster now online. In addition to the previously announced transfers, Mitchell Lewis and Fidel Ogbufen are not listed. Not surprised about Mitchell, as I believe FBs are extinct in HF system. Fidel's departure could be an indication that Huntley is indeed moving to TE. Otherwise he would likely be in the mix to start, and Freeze is known for using the TE quite a bit. Also, ND State transfer QB Henry Van Dellen is on the roster.
Were either of those players on scholarship?
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]