Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Old Red
I'm glad to see that we got them scheduled again, but I wonder how many folks will really care at that point? We won't have any students on campus who remember the rivalry, so I doubt they'll care much (unless the athletic department does a great job of hyping it).
Alumni & "the baptist side" might need to take the lead, and that worries me.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Once we are FBS, students and the Baptists should fill stadium every game, regardless of opponent. But as of now, there's an attendance problem at LU in every sport. This needs to change.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Once we are FBS, students and the Baptists should fill stadium every game, regardless of opponent. But as of now, there's an attendance problem at LU in every sport. This needs to change.
I'm sure thats what Georgia state and Coastal fans said too. if you put a bad product on the field it won't matter whether we are FCS or FBS. They won't come.
ballcoach15 wrote:There are bandwagon fans everywhere. But hopefully our on field product will improve in each sport.
Thankfully our average FCS attendance is their capacity. I don't doubt 20k+ against ODU. I actually would expect a full house. CCU has a ways to go before they even crack 20k.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am happy to see this series continue. It is sad that by the time this arrives most students will be totally unaware that we ever were in the same conference. But this has always been a fun rivalry.

On a totally unrelated note, I was with my son and his HS basketball team waiting to have Elvin Hayes speak to the kids on the actual 50th anniversary of the "Game of the Century" following Houston's upset of Old Purple Face's Wichita State Shockers. I had a random guy walk carefully up to me and ask me, "Two words ... Coastal Carolina. Does that mean anything to you?" I replied that the Chants were our biggest rivals. The guys works as an Associate AD at UH and did so at CCU & UH under Yurachek before the latter took replaced Ian at Baylor. He added that if he had seen me with my LU cap on earlier in the game he would have thrown me out. Old rivalries die hard.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: I think we should still play Coastal in every sport.
Because you're an old guy who likes the beach and their early bird specials? :oldhag
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like you are due for a road trip, ballcoach. :exactly
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Sounds like you are due for a road trip, ballcoach. :exactly
The 3 Of you can share a room!
I agree with the idea that the "rivalry" in the years of 2023/2024 will mean nothing to that particular student body. So, don't sell it to them that way. For the alumni, sure! Nevertheless, I look at it as this, GAMES WE CAN AND SHOULD WIN! Any time we get an opportunity to beat up on CRAP-belt schools is a good time for me.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Coastal took our invite into an FBS conference. We have several great meaningful games with them over the last several seasons. We see them on the recruiting trail quite a bit. SJ.

This is fantastic news for our football program and our fans.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
#Notarealrivalry

I guess that means in 2023, I'll renew my pranks on coastal fans. Making them think that two of their star players were suspended is one of my finest moments.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]