Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
As the Spring Game draws closer with every passing day. I had a few questions:

1. Are you going? Why or Why not?

2. What are you excited to see at the game and throughout practice?

3. Do you expect changes to the games structure? (make it similar to that of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia. . SEC teams and others, which is like a normal game except no live kick/punt returns and QB's don't get hit.)

4. Will you be protesting for your favorite food truck for the 2018 season and what food truck is that?
By Old Red
1. Yep, I'll be there. I'm fortunate enough to live about 5 minutes from campus.

2. I'm hoping to see a greatly improved defense.

3. I'd like to see us consistently run a high tempo offense.

4. I'm hoping to see Nomad Coffee at the games again this year. Match it up with some Momma Croketts donuts & I'm set.
By Class of 20Something
Old Red wrote:1. Yep, I'll be there. I'm fortunate enough to live about 5 minutes from campus.
Are you my neighbor?

2. I'm hoping to see a greatly improved defense.

3. I'd like to see us consistently run a high tempo offense.

4. I'm hoping to see Nomad Coffee at the games again this year. Match it up with some Momma Croketts donuts & I'm set.
1. I look for excuses to see construction on campus. We will probably have all the students on the Baptist side too.

2. I wanna see improvement in line play, even without all the new kids on campus yet.

3. I like seeing everyone get rotated in. The thing that shocked me last year was how much faster the offense ran with Mason under center than Buckshot.

4. Mama's for sure. Last Action Gyro needs to make an appearance.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I am making mental notes of these food trucks and I will hold each of you personally responsible for my experience :lol:

1. I will not be in attendance at this moment. Saturdays are BIG sermon prep days for me. Although, working ahead on the sermon is good reason to come too.

2. I am interested in Buckshot's growth in reading the "D" as well as going through his progressions at a faster pace. I am also, interested in seeing how Hunter Goetz, Seth Nerness(transfer from Iowa State), Solomon Ajayi(redshirted), Keith Best(injured) and the other early enrollees from juco play during the game.

3. I don't expect many changes to the structure of the Spring Game. However, I DO WISH they would go more game like. I think you will get a bigger crowd if it actually has a game feel to it. Maybe even do the Gillville, have the band play, walk of champions or whatever they do.

4. I have no expertise in food trucks. But I am willing to gain experience so fellas help me make wise choices. :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’ll stake my reputation on Mama Crockett’s
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I will go if it doesn't interfere with softball, baseball or VT Spring Game.

I expect format to be like in the past, very little the fans can take away from game. Maybe a few long pass plays at best.

As for food trucks, I'll probably go to Burger King before the game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I will go if it doesn't interfere with softball, baseball or VT Spring Game.

I expect format to be like in the past, very little the fans can take away from game. Maybe a few long pass plays at best.

As for food trucks, I'll probably go to Burger King before the game.
And that will always be a fight LU has
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As for food trucks, I'll probably go to Burger King before the game.
Burger King has a food truck? :dontgetit :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone heard any "G-2", on hiring of the additional assistant coach, that's now allowed by NCAA ?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
All ive heard is we are def hiring the 10th coach and it will be defensive related. I heard a couple names. One was impressive and could probably coordinate. The other was ehh
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:All ive heard is we are def hiring the 10th coach and it will be defensive related. I heard a couple names. One was impressive and could probably coordinate. The other was ehh
I have a ‘Source’ who told me he is coming from some school in SC but LU couldn’t release any information until his current team had ended their season, which just finished up. :flamingdevil
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I sent out some "radar signals" to my sources, and got nothing in return.

Whoever he is, I hope he's a defensive guru, because that's where we need help.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ha haize. I think that was high on tide and class of 20 something.

It wouldnt surprise me at all to see us add an fcs d coordinator. Its been happening a lot with this additional coach the last 2 to 3 weeks. Another angle is that whoever is brought in (assuming its coordinator level) could view it as an opportunity to audition should gill get canned after this year. What better way to audition than to fix a defense and recruit well. Or the person could take the opposite view and see that gill is likely on a 1 to 2 year trial run and not want to risk it. Could see it going other way depending on the candidate.

If you read back through the year end timeline a lot of gills comments about not replacing staff but possibly looking at the 10th coach and then comments from mccaw kind of lead you down the path that we may try to obtain a new dc and keep wimbo on staff. To me this was the best option with our current situation and the transition year coming. It all depends on who you can add though.

Look there def gonna make the move to hire a 10th. Its what virtually all fbs schools will do that have any resources. The type of hire we make will tell you how hot gills seat is or isnt the terms of the new contract will as well. Assuming those leak out.
By Class of 20Something
jinxy wrote:Ha haize. I think that was high on tide and class of 20 something.
Woah, I've never claimed anything of the sort.

In fact, all I've heard was promoting a GA
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:

Which is exactly what you WOULD say to remain anonymous :evil:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Not to offend anyone, anywhere, but we need to hire a defensive coach, not promote a GA. Our defense needs help.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach, I agree. The only way I see a GA deserving the spot is if he is the clone of Nick Saban and we know he's not. Because Bama would have already poached him from us.

That is another thing I am looking forward to, which is finding out who we will hire as that 10th coach.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Def agree. If we dont do something drastic different on defense then gill and co will be embarassed next year.
By Class of 20Something
jinxy wrote:Def agree. If we dont do something drastic different on defense then gill and co will be embarassed next year.
I agree. I'd like it to shuffle things from the top down.
By LUAlum1215
Class of 20Something wrote:

This is correct. The plan is to hire a GA to a full time coaching position on the defensive side.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
If this in fact is the new hire then I am disappointed in the selection of the 10th assistant coach hire. And in no way is this towards the GA. I was hoping for a hire that would make an immediate impact.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Idiotic move. Should have figured gill wasnt capable of a smart decision. I hadnt heard anything since early decemeber and that was from someone outside football. Tells you all you need to know about gills incompetence. Also dissappointing that mccaw wont force his hand on making an addition. He has the easy way out to replace wimberley without firing him and he still cant do it. Gonna be fun getting torched every week next year. Army might break the all time rushing record against us.

On another note. I know at least 10 or 15 people that were not going to renew unless changes were made. Attendance will really suffer after that odu game if nothing changes.

We already have one defensive coach that adds zero to the equation.

Im gonna stick to baseball and basketball where it seems like we have a direction there
By Jonathan Carone
If that’s true, it would mean three of his assistant coaching hires have been promoting entry level guys into full time roles. 30% of our staff will be hired from being a GA or quality control guy. That says a lot about Gill’s leadership, his ability to recruit quality staff members, and/or how our program is viewed by people outside the bubble.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I think it says a lot about gill. Ive heard weve had multiple quality folks contact us about joining. I think its outside his circle so hes scared to let anyone that he cant control in.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If that’s true, it would mean three of his assistant coaching hires have been promoting entry level guys into full time roles. 30% of our staff will be hired from being a GA or quality control guy. That says a lot about Gill’s leadership, his ability to recruit quality staff members, and/or how our program is viewed by people outside the bubble.
Most coaches start as GA’s. There are also a varying range of Quality Control coaches. So I’m not one who’d be too concerned about that.
But this was a good opportunity if he wanted to mix things up to do so. Obviously he feels that the players coming in and coming off red shirts/injury will make the schemes work. Who is to say? If they don’t improve O Line play it’s a moot point. Also, putting some pressure on opposing QB’s wouldn’t be a bad idea
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]