Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ewglenn
I'm watching the UGA vs Oklahoma game and got to thinking about if Baker played at LU. These are the questions I wondered:

1) what would be the win totals for next years schedule if he were the QB?
2) would you be okay with how he is as a person being the QB? (Gestures, disrespect, etc)
3) do you think he would be in line for major awards at LU?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:I'm watching the UGA vs Oklahoma game and got to thinking about if Baker played at LU. These are the questions I wondered:

1) what would be the win totals for next years schedule if he were the QB?
2) would you be okay with how he is as a person being the QB? (Gestures, disrespect, etc)
3) do you think he would be in line for major awards at LU?
Moot Point. Oklahoma has arguably the best Offensive Line in the Country
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I like the kid. Isn’t he a Two Time Walk On? (Texas Tech and Oklahoma).
His teammates seem to love him
I’m not sure he has any more off the field problems than any other LU player
He’s also made no gestures that I haven’t seen LU players make
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:The arrest probably would have done him in, not the gestures.
There are always changes in The Liberty Way :twisted: Do kids get kicked out of LU for drinking anymore? Isn’t LU about 2nd chances?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Kind of a crazy hypothetical. I don't think it would make any difference at all if he played at LU. We would still have the same receivers (who are pretty good), the same awful O-line, the same vanilla OC and same mediocre to very bad HC. Buckshot has as good an arm. He doesn't run near as well as Mayfield, but with our blocking, neither does Mayfield. Don't see a fit either.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Kind of a crazy hypothetical. I don't think it would make any difference at all if he played at LU. We would still have the same receivers (who are pretty good), the same awful O-line, the same vanilla OC and same mediocre to very bad HC. Buckshot has as good an arm. He doesn't run near as well as Mayfield, but with our blocking, neither does Mayfield. Don't see a fit either.
I was trying not to go where you went. :mrgreen:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
One of my Honors students from Georgia posted this on Facebook:
Stay positive Baker Mayfield. You're gonna make an excellent P.E. teacher.
:lol:
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:
prototype wrote:He'd be sitting behind Buckshot hoping he went somewhere else.
You think so? :shock:
Of course;)

Honestly - I think Mayfield is a good player. But, you never know how this would have played out. Sometimes having someone that feels he should be at a better program, might frustrate him when he's not surrounded by as much talent as he believes he should be. Would he get protected as much? Calvert has all the tools and IMO - is growing into this position - Mayfield would have expectations that might prove detrimental to his game and his attitude.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Mayfield probably would not have lasted a semester at LU, with his behavior and sportsmanship issues. I still cannot believe he won Heisman Trophy. He may have had stats, but his baggage should have prevented anyone from voting for him. If I had a vote, he would have never been considered. There are better players out there than some spoiled brat.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Had Mayfield joined the Army, I bet ballcoach could have straightened him out. :buttkick :boxing :stretcher
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Mayfield had the best heisman resume. The RB at Penn State seemed to me to be the best talent.

So if Mayfield’s baggage disqualified him, who would you all have opted for next?
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Nick Chubb or Jalen Hurts deserved it more than Mayfield.
No! I like Jalen Hurts and all but he wouldn't make my top 50 list for the Heisman. Baker deserves it.
By Dalegarz1
I can't wait for the spring game so we have something "real" to talk about. This is like being at a bad party with boring conversation so somebody starts an absurd thread to try to generate some interest.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This is a boring thread. I am surprised it hasn't been "locked".

As for spring game, I doubt if we'll see much. It will be a very basic offense, with only 1 page of playbook used, if that .
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:I can't wait for the spring game so we have something "real" to talk about. This is like being at a bad party with boring conversation so somebody starts an absurd thread to try to generate some interest.
Nothing stopping you from starting your own thread
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
Dalegarz1 wrote:I can't wait for the spring game so we have something "real" to talk about. This is like being at a bad party with boring conversation so somebody starts an absurd thread to try to generate some interest.
Nothing stopping you from starting your own thread
Or from not just being an overall waste of oxygen. Contribute or don't. No one is forcing you to participate in this "boring conversation."
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]