Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I like the prediction, but the author is a little geographically challenged when it comes to distances between cities in Virginia.
With the two schools just over 50 miles apart, this has the makings of a potential rivalry down their road. But that only happens if the games are good – this one should be spirited.
Aren't Lynchburg and Norfolk like 200 miles apart? :dontgetit
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Scott Stadium is 68 miles away. Maybe they got UVA research mixed up with ODU.
I was thinking the same thing on the distance. He was also out of date on our being borderline desperate to get into an FBS conference. Things have changed dramatically in the last year or so. I doubt we would join the SBC right now if they begged us, and I´m not so sure it would be any different with C-USA.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Scott Stadium is 68 miles away. Maybe they got UVA research mixed up with ODU.
I was thinking the same thing on the distance. He was also out of date on our being borderline desperate to get into an FBS conference. Things have changed dramatically in the last year or so. I doubt we would join the SBC right now if they begged us, and I´m not so sure it would be any different with C-USA.
I absolutely agree. I think it would take the American to get us to break from being an FBS Independent. I think they are the only way we get a routine strength of schedule remotely as high as 2020, which I imagine is our stencil for the future.

Truly, our SOS with two FCS schools on the slate is higher than seven of the SBC schools and 4 CUSA schools. According to ESPNs FPI, we have a tougher schedule than 4 of the 9 FBS programs we play this year.

Looking at SOS based on FPI. There is a sharp line between P5 and G5. That line is BYU ranked at 65. There are NO G5 schools with 3 P5 schools on the schedule. We are truly in uncharted waters.

It is important to note in 2017 the G5 was 15-90 against P5 schools. 16-90 if you include FCS Independent Liberty over Baylor.
By tyndal23
Class of 20 - you are coming around to my go for broke as P5 Independent ( as BYU and ND ) are both classified ( Big 12 at least considers BYU a P5 school when the mandated 1 non conference game must be against a p5 school ). 6 P5 schools a year on schedule should be the minimum 2026 and on...( and again yes that means 1 home game in Sept and being road warriors and probably only 5 home games unless we pay for a upper tier schools to visit ).
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here is the thing...even with an 8 team playoff, most high level P5 schools will be very careful, even by 2025 and 2026, to schedule games that really won't add to their Q-rating. You'll probably get teams like Wake Forest, North Carolina, maybe Louisville or Georgia Tech from the ACC, WVU from the Big 12 and Maryland or Rutgers from the B1G. The bluebloods will schedule one MAYBE two cupcakes to evaluate talent heading into either a conference championship or conference play in general, even if we basically hand over blank checks. Could we get one? Certainly, but itll take a good while before we can get a Notre Dame level independent schedule
By tyndal23
BJ, go look at the top 25 non con schedule for this coming year. As for blue bloods, there are only 2 in each conference. There isn’t a top 25 team that doesn’t already have a worse team on the schedule than Liberty. We can schedule 1 off September road games at will with any conference and fill them instantly. it is simply a matter of whether Ian and JR want to go that route. I am not even pushing for blue bloods - only minimum of 6 P5 games - then 4 independents and 2 whatever else ( ODU /Coastal ) etc. NO reason for us to play a single FCS game whatsoever...No need for us to play 1 more G5 game than we absolutely have to except to fill out rest of schedule.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Yeah I mean who cares about winning games, right?
LU is a Ministry
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
UVA wanted Sweet Briar College until Mendenhall realized they don't have a football team. UVA wants easy schedule in hopes they can luck up and win 6 games to go to a bowl
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:UVA wanted Sweet Briar College
Ballcoach has jokes. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:UVA wanted Sweet Briar College
Ballcoach has jokes. :lol:
Where?
By Ewglenn
Class of 20Something wrote:Liberty will never schedule an FCS powerhouse again. It's not complicated. FCS games are must wins now. We cannot intentionally schedule a potential home loss to FCS. It would be program suicide. No more JMU, NDSU, Montana. They're all too risky. There is no additional reward for tougher FCS games.

For the same reason, I am amazed UVa scheduled us for the next three seasons.
UVA has the complete opposite view for us. We are a brand new FBS team that counts as an FBS win. It completely makes sense to schedule us for the foreseeable future.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention recruitment advantages in state
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Worried? No...but anytime they can make inroads in someone else's city/area can't be a bad thing
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote:Should UVA be that worried about recruiting battles with LU?
If they are, they’re in worse shape than anyone thought.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
If they are, they’re in worse shape than anyone thought.
Most definitely...we certainly should try to keep as much homegrown talent as possible now that we are FBS, even though we won't get all of it
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Weve had 2 commits with uva offers in last several months. Chibueze last year and yarborough this year. Not that thats an all about recruiting war but thats pretty good for a transitioning fbs team va in state acc.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If Christian football players want a Christian coach and a Christian education, YES (says a UVa alum). :football :pray :fbplayer
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Has there been any information about a TV deal this year with our home games?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Ewglenn
I have no idea what you are trying to say. If one of the two teams is at a disadvantage (in recruiting) by playing the other, it is UVA. Liberty is the clear winner.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]