Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm wondering how long it'll take into the season for all the people with unreasonably optimistic expectations to see what we're up against. Watch Coastal's fans go through that transition last year, it took around three games.
This is basically where I am. I'm quite curious to see how LU performs stepping up to play FBS competition on a week-to-week basis. Troy, Army and North Texas are a gigantic step up from playing Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb and Monmouth. I think it will take a little time. I don't doubt LU will adjust and perform in future seasons, but I'd be surprised if the Flames won more than two FBS games this year.
By Jonathan Carone
I posted this back in December but people still don’t get it. This is why our past performance against FBS teams isn’t that relevant:

1) Most FBS teams we’ve played in the past haven’t run full playbooks against us because we were FCS.

2) Most FBS players probably didn’t take us as seriously as they would another FBS school.

3) The week in week out toll of playing FBS teams will be something we aren’t used to physically.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the majority of posters here agree. There will always be the people who are blindly optimistic. Especially prior to the season starting.

I know we won't be very good, record wise but I am hopeful we will be competitive. That is about as far as my blind optimism will go.

I actually think winning 6 games is way more likely than getting a new coach within the next 5 years and I dont think winning 6 games is very likely.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ball coach will be back in Alabama in mid October. He will try to get a reading on how Auburn players put their uniform pants on.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
As ive said twice before. I would sign for 4 and 8 next 2 seasons right now if i could.

While i agree with jon on the p5 gameplanning. I dont agree with that at all on ap state ga state and even baylor last year. Those teams were not in position to half gameplan against us. Totally agree on vt unc state wake etc.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
4 wins probably is going to be our ceiling in the next couple seasons. I figure out two FCS games, ODU and one other outside of the aforementioned Auburn. If we do better than that I'll be screaming from the rooftop
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
In response to Jonathan's post:

I totally agree that the physicality of an FBS football schedule will be a challenge for us and I hope with the additions of JUCO's and more talented players along with our strength and conditioning plan that challenge will be met. My hope for the Auburn game is that we leave that one with no injuries. They have one of the top defenses in the country and man are they fast!

I believe the reason some of us believe that our boys can win anywhere from 5 to 7 games is because we will have a better offense than we did last year and even though this is a full FBS season it is not nearly as difficult as it could be. Yes, Auburn is a legit national title contender, UVA is in the ACC, Troy and North Texas will compete for conference titles and Army is coming off a 10 win season. However, the other 7 games we play are definitely without a doubt winnable. Is it the kool-aid speaking? Potentially. Is it unrealistic optimism? Maybe. But, are the likes of New Mexico St., New Mexico, ODU, Umass, Norfolk St. and Idaho St. really that much better(if at all) and more physical than we can be? I don't think so. Could we go 2-10, 3-9 or 4-8? Absolutely. But I have a hard time believing that it is insanity or unrealistic to believe that LU could finish 7-5 this season.
By Class of 20Something
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:In response to Jonathan's post:

I totally agree that the physicality of an FBS football schedule will be a challenge for us and I hope with the additions of JUCO's and more talented players along with our strength and conditioning plan that challenge will be met. My hope for the Auburn game is that we leave that one with no injuries. They have one of the top defenses in the country and man are they fast!

I believe the reason some of us believe that our boys can win anywhere from 5 to 7 games is because we will have a better offense than we did last year and even though this is a full FBS season it is not nearly as difficult as it could be. Yes, Auburn is a legit national title contender, UVA is in the ACC, Troy and North Texas will compete for conference titles and Army is coming off a 10 win season. However, the other 7 games we play are definitely without a doubt winnable. Is it the kool-aid speaking? Potentially. Is it unrealistic optimism? Maybe. But, are the likes of New Mexico St., New Mexico, ODU, Umass, Norfolk St. and Idaho St. really that much better(if at all) and more physical than we can be? I don't think so. Could we go 2-10, 3-9 or 4-8? Absolutely. But I have a hard time believing that it is insanity or unrealistic to believe that LU could finish 7-5 this season.

That 4.5 win betting line is exactly where it should be.

Our schedule could allow up to 8 wins and as few as 2, but Vegas is Vegas. You don't outsmart the money.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We are going to be stuck with losing seasons until we get a new coaching staff. After that, it will take the new coach a year or so to build the team back up, recruit and make them competitive. To think otherwise, one would have be absolutely smashed on the kool-aid. IMVVVHO. I suspect we will have a new coach by Christmas. 8)
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts

So the five better teams we almost definitely go 0-5. Two FCS we SHOULD (no guarantee) go 2-0. That leaves five that as you point out we are probably even with (at best). Two even teamsgo at it and you expect a 50-50 outcome. So we get 2-3 wins there. That's if we have no complete head scratching losses, which we all know we are good for at least 1-2 every year. So, 4 wins is attainable, 5 wins is pretty stinking optimistic. Anything more is miraculous IMHO. I expect 3-4 wins.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I agree 3-4 is realistic, 5 is attainable, and 6 is most likely best case scenario but 7 is not out of the realm of possibility. I am hoping for at least 6 to keep the winning season streak alive.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If I had my computer, I could break this down in more detail, but here is how I see the season going:

Sep 01 - 6:00 PM - Old Dominion W
Sep 08 - 12:00 PM - @ Army L
Sep 15 - 6:00 PM - Norfolk State W
Sep 22 - 6:00 PM - North Texas L
Sep 29 - 6:00 PM - @ New Mexico L
Oct 06 - 8:00 PM - @ New Mexico State L
Oct 13 - 2:00 PM - Troy L
Oct 20 - 2:00 PM - Idaho State W
Oct 27 - ................ Open
Nov 03 - 3:30 PM - @ UMass W
Nov 10 - .. TBA ... - @ Virginia L
Nov 17 - .. TBA ... - @ Auburn L
Nov 24 - 2:00 PM - New Mexico State W

4 is the ceiling I still believe, but I would not be surprised if we snagged the finale at home and got to 5. If we steal either Troy or UNT, there's 6 but that's pretty much it.
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:We are going to be stuck with losing seasons until we get a new coaching staff. After that, it will take the new coach a year or so to build the team back up, recruit and make them competitive. To think otherwise, one would have be absolutely smashed on the kool-aid. IMVVVHO. I suspect we will have a new coach by Christmas. 8)
Wouldn’t mind a new defensive coordinator.
By Jonathan Carone

I totally agree that the physicality of an FBS football schedule will be a challenge for us and I hope with the additions of JUCO's and more talented players along with our strength and conditioning plan that challenge will be met. ...

But, are the likes of New Mexico St., New Mexico, ODU, Umass, Norfolk St. and Idaho St. really that much better(if at all) and more physical than we can be? I don't think so.
Talent has never been our problem.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Talent has never been our problem.
Reminds me of when Sam Gado was our backup running back and was starting the next year for the Green Bay Packers. :shock:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. Even in the karcher years we had some great talent. Which is how Danny Rocco was able to have success so quickly. If Turner Gill can somehow figure things out we can be very solid in a few years at the FBS level. I just don't know if he will.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Yeah. Even in the karcher years we had some great talent. Which is how Danny Rocco was able to have success so quickly. If Turner Gill can somehow figure things out we can be very solid in a few years at the FBS level. I just don't know if he will.
After six years do you really expect any change?

Actually the most talent we have ever had was during the Morgan Hout years. He either recruited or coached many of the better players at LU. Unfortunately his record was 20-29, which is quite deceiving because of the transition years during which he coached. He was also the coach when we defeated our first D1 team, EMU, on a last second TD pass from Robbie Justino to Eric Green. I still think he is the best coach LU has ever had. There is no doubt he is the best person who has ever coached football at LU (Rock Royer a very, very close second). I have learned so much from him and proud to call him my friend.
By cruzan_flame13
Training camp update:

What coach Gill stated at the beginning about coach Wimberly's promotion is a bit strange. I'm just assuming that if things go sour (looks like it will eventually), Gill could actually be released and Wimberly will be interim coach for the remainder of the season. Of course this is just an assumption.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Actually the most talent we have ever had was during the Morgan Hout years. He either recruited or coached many of the better players at LU. Unfortunately his record was 20-29, which is quite deceiving because of the transition years during which he coached. He was also the coach when we defeated our first D1 team, EMU, on a last second TD pass from Robbie Justino to Eric Green.
Flameshaw, you might want to double check your facts. In 1989, Coach Sam was our head coach when Eric Green caught that pass for the win again Eastern Michigan; Coach Morgan Hout's last year of coaching LU was 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Flames_football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Hout
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Actually the most talent we have ever had was during the Morgan Hout years. He either recruited or coached many of the better players at LU. Unfortunately his record was 20-29, which is quite deceiving because of the transition years during which he coached. He was also the coach when we defeated our first D1 team, EMU, on a last second TD pass from Robbie Justino to Eric Green.
Flameshaw, you might want to double check your facts. In 1989, Coach Sam was our head coach when Eric Green caught that pass for the win again Eastern Michigan; Coach Morgan Hout's last year of coaching LU was 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Flames_football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Hout
Thanks for the correction. I know that EG and RJ were recruited and coached by MH. Looks like I was a year off on the EMU win.
They say that the memory is the second thing to go, when you get old. The first has been gone for a while now. :)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I, too, am a big fan of Coach Hout. We both attended the same college, and he came to LU about the same time that I did.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As someone who admittedly drank a ton of :koolaid over the years, it really wasn't hard to project 4-5 wins for us in the first year as a full blown FBS. I don't think we "suck", but the team really didn't give me a lot of reason to give them an above .500 record in 2018. I'm also not on the #firegill train either, but I do at least understand that a change at the top is a real possibility, especially as an FBS program. I met Coach Rocco when he came on, and he gave me a lot to hope for. I would like to meet Coach Gill, if only as an avowed sports nut and college football fan, but the on field product hasn't given me the level of hope coach Rocco did even having never met him.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
In FCS and the Big South, we were often the circled opponent on many schedules (St Francis, ect). This year, we will be an underdog in 9 of the 11 games. we may play looser and get a couple of surprise wins.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]