Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:What's with picking everything apart like vultures on carrion? It's a good slogan...and I'll just leave it at that
The slogan is great. Taking scripture out of context kind of rubs me the wrong way but it isn't anything over the top but you have to at least see that and can understand why it would at least rub some the wrong way.
I would like to hear why this was out of context; I really want to see how you interpret that verse in addition to the few verses before that. If you're really talking about context, you have to look at who Peter was talking to ( believers) and what was going on during that time period to believers. If you compare that to the student athlete in the "real world" of college life, it's not that far fetched. These players are playing for a "controversial" school in a politically correct environment, just like the believers were in that time 60's A.D. So I'm seeing that they are submitting to their coaches and their opponents, but not fearing them as they fear the Lord. That might hopefully help them to trust in God and work hard on and off the team. How does that rub you the wrong way?
Because they end with fear nobody when the verse clearly says to fear God. Obviously it is splitting hairs but they could have gone with that slogan and not used that verse as their source.

As far as comparing America today to 60 A.D.....that is a whole other debate that probably could be held elsewhere.
By cruzan_flame13
Jon, I believe you shouldn't 'fear' God and man. What is the context of the term fear as described in ! Peter 2 and in other passages? I see it as acknowledging God's sovereignty, while man should not be equal or greater than Him. I'm looking at the context of when Peter wrote to believers and seeing the similarity of present day America. We believers both lived in politically correct societies. For the college student playing for LU, one will be playing against most school's who are comfortable in that paradigm plus have experienced in the highest level of football. When thinking about authority or government, it points to men who supposed to have more 'experience' in a type of leadership,etc. So in the student athlete's perspective, Those schools have more 'experience' than we do in at the level of football. I will add that politics is involved in college football. So, from that angle, these boys(believers or not) are using the verse which introduced the motto to build motivation for this season.
By willflop
The phrase "fear God" here absolutely implies that we are not to fear man. Matt 10:28 is germane, Psalms, Proverbs. They are to submit/honor the very people that are going to persecute them, because they fear God (for God's sake, noted earlier in the chapter), not because they fear man.
By cruzan_flame13
willflop wrote:The phrase "fear God" here absolutely implies that we are not to fear man. Matt 10:28 is germane, Psalms, Proverbs. They are to submit/honor the very people that are going to persecute them, because they fear God (for God's sake, noted earlier in the chapter), not because they fear man.
Thank you! That's why they said fear no one meaning man. It's suppose to be nice and short in which people can get the point. Clearly that went over folks heads. Another reason why we have to go to other reference of scripture to understand the meaning (sadly words tend to change a little from that time to present day).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Anyone who knows enough about scripture to understand that ¨fear God¨ implies not fearing man would also understand the scriptural validity of the slogan as a whole without needing a single specific verse for confirmation. I also think the practical wisdom of it holds up pretty well for those who don´t know or care whether it conforms to scripture. On the other hand, there are in fact people who will see that the slogan says ¨fear none¨ while the verse says ¨fear God¨ and find it confusing or contradictory.
Last edited by olldflame on August 10th, 2018, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:So far, every promotional material I have seen with the players has Red or Blue uniforms. I think White is what we are getting this year.
Will it be all white or will the number be colored in?
By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:So far, every promotional material I have seen with the players has Red or Blue uniforms. I think White is what we are getting this year.
Will it be all white or will the number be colored in?
Who knows. I am just speculating because they aren't using them in any promotional material.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It better have the colored numbers...as a broadcaster white numbers would be a nightmare
By LUDad
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I think the slogan that the team agreed on should be the motto for the LU football program moving onward:

“Respect All. Fear None.” - 1 Peter 2:17

What do you guys think?
The verse places the motto in the context that the team desired. Fear can either mean being scared, etc. or it can refer to being in awe, etc. As Coach points out, this verse relates fear to
the latter meaning. The team simply wants everyone to know that they will respect all their opponents but they will not be in awe of any of them (even Auburn!)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
So I finally have some time, and here is how I break down the 2018 season game by game:

09/01 ODU
This is a showcase game to kick off the FBS era on the mountain: In-state foe, under the lights, debuting the new expansion (would have been nice to be on national TV but it is what it is there). ODU will have a sophomore QB (who only just will be old enough to do a lot of things other than direct a D1 FBS offense), I think that LU will not choke away the lead like they did in Norfolk and win a very good ball game with a couple TDs late to pull away

LU 42
ODU 21

09/08 @ Army
After a (hopefully successful) debut at home, the Flames head on the road for their first ever matchup with one of our 3 D1 service academies (the Coast Guard Academy is D3 I think), all of whom run the one offense the Flames have had trouble stopping for the most part as far back as I can remember: the triple option. The only real saving grace here is the Black Knights will have a QB making his second career start in that game which could lead to a couple turnovers bouncing their way, but I see the boys from West Point winning this one

LU 20
Army 31

09/15 Norfolk State
the first of two FCS matchups on the schedule, we welcome the boys from the Spartan Legion back into Williams Stadium for the first time since 2012, when a certain head coach was making his debut on the mountain. This is not the same LU team that blew that game in an early WTF for Coach Gill...I think the Flames dominate this one

LU 52
Norfolk State 7

09/22 North Texas
The Flames conclude the first of two two-game homestands with a visit from the Mean Green, who went to the CUSA championship game last year. The boys from Denton will have a new QB as well, but he will have had a few games to get acclimated AND has some very good skill players coming back as well. This is one I think we can steal, but I would not be surprised if we don't

LU 14
UNT 28

09/29 @ New Mexico
The Flames add one more state to their ledger making the first ever trip to the Land of Enchantment, where they will be welcomed by former Notre Dame head coach (and one time ESPN analyst) Bob Davie. The Lobos also run an option style of offense so hopefully Liberty learns a lesson or two from the Army game for this one. Itll be closer, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades as the cliche goes...

LU 21
UNM 28

10/06 @ New Mexico State

the boys head to Las Cruces (and maybe get a little sightseeing in) to face the OTHER D1 school in the Aggies, who...to put it simply...have not been good. They were regulars in the ESPN "Bottom 10" article before finally getting to a bowl game in 2017. They say that home field gives about...three points I think, so I'll give that to the Aggies in this half of the home and home

LU 35
NMSU 38

10/13 Troy
The Flames finally return home and welcome one of the better G5 teams on this side of the Mississippi when the Troy Trojans come to town. These men of Troy have had quite a bit of success since arriving in FBS in 2001 (when it was still 1-A), garnering 7 bowl appearances and 4 wins, including a 50-30 thrashing of previous opponent North Texas. Troy will have a new QB as well, but I expect that there won't be a Trojan horse coming out of the tunnel for this one.

LU 21
TU 48

10/20 Idaho State
Ahh...homecoming. Nothing salves a rough season like inviting a potentially overmatched opponent in to be summarily sacrificed for the entertainment of the audience. Liberty beat the last Big Sky team to come into town when they beat ISU's conference mate Montana. The Flames win this one easily as well, keeping up the FBS over FCS mystique

LU 49
ISU 17

11/03 @UMass
After a much needed bye week, the Flames head up to Boston (well Amherst) to face the Minutemen, who have had a rough go as an FBS program, with no winning records over the course of their 5 official seaasons as an FBS program. Liberty wins this one by a couple scores

LU 31
UMass 17

11/10 @Virginia
Liberty as an FCS program did manage to be competitive with ACC programs over the last 11 seasons, despite losing three of the 4 meetings since 2007 by double figures (the one exception being Wake Forest in 2012), Virginia has had a rather up and down (mostly down from my POV) run over the years, including some real head scratching losses, This is another one LU could steal, but whoever the QB is, the newness will have been burned off and the Cavs get a win in front of the home crows at Scott Stadium

LU 14
UVA 41

11/17 @ Auburn
This is probably gonna be my shortest analysis of the bunch...two words: Auburn wins

LU 14
Auburn 63

11/24 New Mexico State
It is not too terribly often that teams play each other twice a year, but LU was able to work out that arrangement with the Aggies, so they welcome them into Lynchburg as the students head off for Thanksgiving break. LU sends their first season off in FBS with a win, avenging the earlier loss in Las Cruces

LU 31
NMSU 21
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good break down.

I would hope we ca score more than 14 points against UVA. (and hope we not give up 40). Actually I will be very disappointed if we lose to UVA.
By Dalegarz1
I like and appreciate your analysis BJ! Having said that, we need to break the pattern of the recent past and not lose to an inferior team. The games with NMSU are the swing games. Win both and we have a chance for 7 victories and a new life for TG. Lose both and we are at 5 wins (tops) and staring at a coaching change.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJ, UVa only beat W&M (FCS) 28-10 last year. Do you really think that FCS W&M is that much better than our FBS LU team that are you predicting a 41-14 blowout in Cville?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
NMSU is not a good team...as I noted, they are routinely part of the Bottom 10 article...we definitely need to win those "WTF" games like we have had in the past
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
UVa will be made or broken by bryce perkins. He was top juco qb in nation last year. Hes also injury prone. Uva will struggle to stop the run and to me lacks elite playmakers at skill positions. I think we can def put up points on them.
By Jonathan Carone
BJWilliams wrote:NMSU is not a good team...as I noted, they are routinely part of the Bottom 10 article...we definitely need to win those "Stupid Hose" games like we have had in the past
Ryan McGee is going to be watching a lot of Liberty Football for the Bottom 10 this year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
NMSU is not the cake walk you guys are suggesting. They finished with a 7-6 record all against FBS foes and ending the season on a 3-game win streak including a bowl victory over Utah State. I am not suggesting they are a juggernaut by any means, but they look better than their cross-state rivals in Albuquerque.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Last year William and Mary had one of their worst seasons in many years, if my memory is correct. I expect us to beat the boo hoos.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It will be interesting to see the reality of FBS. Could LU have beaten W and M last year? Just putting ‘FBS’ by your name doesn’t magically make you better.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
But it does give you more scholarshipped players.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]