Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
Now that the regular season is over, we know where teams ended up. Nick Pierce posted a look at where next year's opponents finished this year:

9/1 vs Old Dominion 5-7, none
9/8 @ Army 8-3, Armed Forces Bowl (one game to go)
9/15 vs Norfolk State 4-7, FCS - none
9/22 vs North Texas 9-4, New Orleans Bowl
9/29 @ New Mexico 3-9, none
10/6 @ New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl
10/13 vs Troy 10-2, New Orleans Bowl
10/20 vs Idaho State 4-7, FCS - none
11/3 @ UMass 4-8, none
11/10 @ UVA 6-6, Military Bowl
11/17 @ Auburn 10-3, Peach Bowl
11/24 vs New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl

Seven of our 12 games are against bowl qualifiers.

How many wins do you think we'll have next year? Who do we beat?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I had posted this a week ago. Even thought NM St. won and Troy too, my predictions stays the same.

Home- ODU: who finished (5-7), who gave up 32 points a game!!! Prediction: We can win this one.
Away - Army: who sits at (8-3), and runs our FAVORITE kind of offense. Prediction: Loss.
Home- Norfolk St. : who finished (4-7) FCS team, need I say more. Prediction: WIN!!!
Home - North Texas: who sits at (9-3) and are playing for conference title. Prediction: Loss.
Away - New Mexico: who finished (3-9), who gave up 32 points a game!! Prediction: We can win.
Away - New Mexico St.: who sits at (5-6), Sunbelt team and we own them. Prediction: We can win.
Home- Troy: Who sits at (9-2), the class of the Sunbelt. Prediction: More than likely a loss.
Home- Idaho St.: who finished (4-7) and gave up 36 points a game. Prediction: WIN!!!
Away - UMASS: who sits at (4-7) and who barely beat maine and Coastal. Prediction: WIN!!!
Away - UVA: who finished (6-6) and who is getting better each year! Prediction: LOSS!
Away - Auburn: Who sits at (10-2) and may be the best team in College Football. Prediction: Destruction!
Home - New Mexico St.: See Previous Game. Prediction: WIN!!

I honestly think we could win as many as 7 games next year. However, I also think we could win as few as 4. I have a REALLY hard time believing we only beat the FCS schools.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
9/1 vs Old Dominion 5-7, none--We win. We do great in these kind of games under Turner Gill. We will be prepared and the stadium will be full
9/8 @ Army 8-3, Armed Forces Bowl (one game to go)--We will lose.
9/15 vs Norfolk State 4-7, FCS - none--Win
9/22 vs North Texas 9-4, New Orleans Bowl -- Loss by quite a bit
9/29 @ New Mexico 3-9, none -- Loss. A long road trip will be made longer with this loss
10/6 @ New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl -- Loss
10/13 vs Troy 10-2, New Orleans Bowl --Loss
10/20 vs Idaho State 4-7, FCS - none -- Win
11/3 @ UMass 4-8, none -- Win
11/10 @ UVA 6-6, Military Bowl -- Loss
11/17 @ Auburn 10-3, Peach Bowl -- Not even close
11/24 vs New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl -- Win

We end the season 5-7. I don't expect Army to be as good this year as they were this year and so that loss will sting as will the loss @New Mexico State. I wouldn't be surprised if we find a way to lose another game.

The one positive is there are so many players returning and one would hope they will continue to improve. But that is far from a certainty.
By Jonathan Carone
L - 9/1 vs Old Dominion
L - 9/8 @ Army
W - 9/15 vs Norfolk State
L - 9/22 vs North Texas
L - 9/29 @ New Mexico
L - 10/6 @ New Mexico State
L - 10/13 vs Troy
W - 10/20 vs Idaho State
L - 11/3 @ UMass 4-8
L - 11/10 @ UVA 6-6
L - 11/17 @ Auburn 10-3
W - 11/24 vs New Mexico State

I could see us potentially splitting that New Mexico swing in the early part of the season, especially if we stay out there the entire week between games.

At most we get 5 wins.
At the least 2 wins.
Most likely is 3 wins.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
At most 7,
At least 2,

Most Likely, 4
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Am I the only one with expectations that they don't expect the program to meet?

You have expectations that you don't expect the program to meet? Wouldn't that mean you don't have those expectations?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
9/1 vs Old Dominion 5-7, none W. They are good, but they do lose one of the best running backs in VA in Ray Lawrie and Williams will only be a sophomore at QB
9/8 @ Army 8-3, Armed Forces Bowl (one game to go) L. They run a very good option offense up there at West Point
9/15 vs Norfolk State 4-7, FCS - none W...they are an FCS...we better beat them by double digits
9/22 vs North Texas 9-4, New Orleans Bowl L
9/29 @ New Mexico 3-9, none L
10/6 @ New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl L
10/13 vs Troy 10-2, New Orleans Bowl L
10/20 vs Idaho State 4-7, FCS - none W
11/3 @ UMass 4-8, none W...this could be a tossup but Im going win here
11/10 @ UVA 6-6, Military Bowl L...Mendenhall has got things heading in the right direction in Cville
11/17 @ Auburn 10-3, Peach Bowl L This one could get real ugly real fast...especially with Johnson back next year
11/24 vs New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl W

5 wins probably is our ceiling next year I would think
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ehh...I wouldnt go THAT far ballcoach
By CCWMichael
Pre-signing days December and Feb.

As of now with zero pass rush and no real run game I"ll go

Loss ODU
Loss Army
Win Norfolk State
Loss North Texas
Win New Mexico
Loss New Mexico State
Loss Troy
Win Idaho State
Loss UMass
Loss UVA
Loss Auburn
Loss New Mexico State

Three wins -- now come calling if we can find a pass rush and a secondary that can zone after JUCO transfers and ready to play commits. We may add a possible win or two.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Auburn could be ugly and may count as 2 losses
By BigRed1
thepostman wrote:9/1 vs Old Dominion 5-7, none--We win. We do great in these kind of games under Turner Gill. We will be prepared and the stadium will be full
9/8 @ Army 8-3, Armed Forces Bowl (one game to go)--We will lose.
9/15 vs Norfolk State 4-7, FCS - none--Win
9/22 vs North Texas 9-4, New Orleans Bowl -- Loss by quite a bit
9/29 @ New Mexico 3-9, none -- Loss. A long road trip will be made longer with this loss
10/6 @ New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl -- Loss
10/13 vs Troy 10-2, New Orleans Bowl --Loss
10/20 vs Idaho State 4-7, FCS - none -- Win
11/3 @ UMass 4-8, none -- Win
11/10 @ UVA 6-6, Military Bowl -- Loss
11/17 @ Auburn 10-3, Peach Bowl -- Not even close
11/24 vs New Mexico State 6-6, Arizona Bowl -- Win

We end the season 5-7. I don't expect Army to be as good this year as they were this year and so that loss will sting as will the loss @New Mexico State. I wouldn't be surprised if we find a way to lose another game.

The one positive is there are so many players returning and one would hope they will continue to improve. But that is far from a certainty.
The one negative is we have Gill returning and I have no hope he’ll improve in his coaching skills. Unless things drastically change, I think 3 wins is shooting for the moon next year.
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:Auburn could be ugly and may count as 2 losses
UVA will warm us up for them.
Get the ice tubs ready
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Am I the only one with expectations that they don't expect the program to meet?

You have expectations that you don't expect the program to meet? Wouldn't that mean you don't have those expectations?
I guess it just means I have unrealistic expectations. Which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing. I am the type of person to expect more than is maybe acheivable, it doesn't necessarily mean I'll be disappointed if that goal isn't meet. With our commitment to athletics, the recruits we are bringing in, finances, facilities, support staff, and home field advantage, I expect us to win games we have no business in. What is the point of setting goals that are easily meet? If I'm HC, my white board has some goals on it for the team to see.

1) Jesus first, on and off the field.

2) Never give up.

3) Two P5 wins in 2018.

4) ACC win in 2019

5) B1G win in 2019

6) SEC win in 2021

This team made a mistake, they showed us all what they are CAPABLE of. Now we know. One P5 win, eh, we've done that. Haven't gone bowling yet. Every player needs to buy in to legacy goals. Goals they will work to and not be there when they meet them.
Last edited by Class of 20Something on December 5th, 2017, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Old Red
2-10

On the bright side, we should some exposure on ESPN.com each week with Ryan McGee's "Bottom 10". :|
By Class of 20Something
What I believe is reasonably achievable.

W - 9/1 vs Old Dominion
L - 9/8 @ Army
W - 9/15 vs Norfolk State
W - 9/22 vs North Texas
L - 9/29 @ New Mexico
L - 10/6 @ New Mexico State
L - 10/13 vs Troy
W - 10/20 vs Idaho State
W - 11/3 @ UMass 4-8
L - 11/10 @ UVA 6-6
L - 11/17 @ Auburn 10-3
W - 11/24 vs New Mexico State

I believe in the Bill. I believe that with the increase in quality of opponents, the stadium will get louder than ever before. Look how we showed up for Montana. I believe we will only lose one home game but regretfully, we only pull one win on the road.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I would be very happy with 5 wins but mostly i want to see us play to our ability. As long as players and coaches execute well and look like they give a dang i will be satisfied. The next couple of seasons will be rough until we get a full stable of FBS guys.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Off the top of my head I'll say 2-4 wins. They should win the FCS games and should be able to compete with NM, NM St, UMass and ODU.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
3 wins total
2 FBS wins
1 FCS win

We are a transitional team. We will struggle next year. It has to be tough to prepare for the level of talent, depth, and experience that we will be seeing every week.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We play Auburn the week before they have to travel to Tuscaloosa to play the Crimson Tide. AU could get caught looking ahead.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]