Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
alabama24 wrote:Hey, If I can win the lottery without buying a ticket, I could pay off my student loans this year!
Actually that could happen lol. The likelihood is probably 1,000,000,000,000,000:1, but it's not impossible! I would laugh if you found a random ticket on the floor and the numbers are actually accurate to the mega jackpot in your state :lol:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If we retool our defense and can stop run and pass, we can win 7 games.
We haven't played good defense in donkey's years, no reason to expect any change this year.
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If we retool our defense and can stop run and pass, we can win 7 games.
We haven't played good defense in donkey's years, no reason to expect any change this year.
So what should be done? :lol: :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
So what should be done? :lol: :D
If you don’t know his answer by this point than you haven’t been paying attention
By Class of 20Something
Interesting Reddit thread on the cost of the cheapest, same seat season ticket for every FBS team. I could see us bumping to $100 from $75 for the cheapest seats with a few years success, but we aren't as dramatically under priced as I had thought.

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:L - 9/1 vs Old Dominion
L - 9/8 @ Army
W - 9/15 vs Norfolk State
L - 9/22 vs North Texas
L - 9/29 @ New Mexico
L - 10/6 @ New Mexico State
L - 10/13 vs Troy
W - 10/20 vs Idaho State
L - 11/3 @ UMass 4-8
L - 11/10 @ UVA 6-6
L - 11/17 @ Auburn 10-3
W - 11/24 vs New Mexico State

I could see us potentially splitting that New Mexico swing in the early part of the season, especially if we stay out there the entire week between games.

At most we get 5 wins.
At the least 2 wins.
Most likely is 3 wins.
I wanted to revisit this, as most predictions were made last year. The only two I really think could go LUs way North Texas and both New Mexico State games.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Expectation is 4 Wins. Anything less would be a bummer. Anything more would be exciting. However considering the type of games we have on the schedule, winning one of the following would equal auto success for the season.

Troy, ODU, Army, UVA.

Out of those 4, I really think we can give them all a close game, and possibly win 1 or 2. This would be epic and really be a successful season.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I may change my mind depending on potential training camp injuries or notable improvements. But, this is where I stand:

Best record: 7-5

Worst record: 3-9

Most likely record: 6-6

I really believe the Juco talent we got will immediately help us and this will give the underclassman time to get meaningful snaps which will bring us more depth and playmaking ability as the season goes on. Big 12 offense here we come and that always gives you a fighting chance. There are only 2 defenses on our schedule that will cramp our style, Auburn and Troy. with that said, our offense will keep us in almost all of those ball games.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Under/Over on wins should be 3 1/2 in my humble opinion. Sad we are not better at this time in TG's career. Losing to SF (and others) and not finishing in the Top 25 last year, is inexcusable. Realistic expectations for last year should have been 1 loss, 2 at the very most.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In Phil Steele's pre season magazine, LU had a 2 page layout, like all other D1 schools. That was good to see.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, I was at the Wards Road Barnes & Noble on Friday, and saw that magazine at the checkout counter and HAD to buy it! You're right: LU is listed in there as an FBS Independent, getting the same coverage as the SEC, Big10, and ACC schools. It feels like a miracle.
By Dirty 30
ballcoach15 wrote:In Phil Steele's pre season magazine, LU had a 2 page layout, like all other D1 schools. That was good to see.
I picked up a copy from Books a Million today Ballcoach. It was great to see LU in the magazine with all of the D1 schools! Pretty good layout and information on the team. Guys, if you don't have this magazine, you need to go get it. Great information on all of the schools and you can check out info on the teams we will be playing this year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Does Street & Smith still publish a football magazine? I used to love those! Study
By R i
Registration Days Posts
What other publications would you suggest Tide ?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are about 10 preseason mags out there, but I have always thought Steele's was the best.

I brought one 2 years ago, (forget which one) and it predicted almost every P5 team to go 8-4. I have been more careful which ones I buy since that one.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Lindy's is a good one and was fair towards LU in their full page spread. Not to mention they rated Buckshot as the 2nd best name in college football :D .

I think when it comes to in depth coverage, Phil Steele's is top notch.

Athlon and Lindy's have been my other two favorites due to their solid coverage of every FBS team.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Truth be known it all will come down to:

Defense

I think we can score points, but...……………………………….
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Truth be known it all will come down to:

Defense

It will come down to the OL and DL. Football games are won in the trenches almost 100% of the time. Our weaknesses in these 2 areas was probably on display more during the JSU game than any. Our inability to run, puts lots of pressure on the passing game. Our inability to put pressure on the QB/stop the run, opens both the running and passing game for the opponent. Will be interesting to see, especially since some are predicting virtually the same starting OL and the step up in competition.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Truth be known it all will come down to:

Defense

It will come down to the OL and DL. Football games are won in the trenches almost 100% of the time. Our weaknesses in these 2 areas was probably on display more during the JSU game than any. Our inability to run, puts lots of pressure on the passing game. Our inability to put pressure on the QB/stop the run, opens both the running and passing game for the opponent. Will be interesting to see, especially since some are predicting virtually the same starting OL and the step up in competition.
I assume when you say we are predicting pretty much the same OL, you are referring to the piece ASOR did. Manson was understandibly reluctant to project major contributions for Freshmen, because the fact is most OL are redshirted in their FR year. We have 2 really good starters returning in Duff and Sargent, and Lozano is a solid LT with plus athleticism, who is at his best in pass protection, butis a bit on the light side to be a dominant run blocker. We signed 5 Freshmen, all of them well over 300 lbs, and 2 were 3 star prospects. In addition, we have a couple of R-FR. I´m pretty confident our depth will be greatly improved, and I think we will see at least a couple of new guys earn spots in the rotation. It´s just difficult to project that until we have those players in camp.

On the other side of the ball, I think we can project significant contributions from newcomers like Pierson, Elefante, Lemelour, as well as Furtado, who won the most improved defensive player in Spring practice. If we can move Avery outside, we will definately be bigger and deeper, and should be tougher to run on.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Avery has been one of the most underrated players weve had. He has played out of position for 2 years and been a straight force. He wells and lemonier will hold their own on the edge if those guys above can hold the middle. Austin lewis and saunders could factor in but im guessing its going to take a year to see big fruit from austin. Hes tall and a bit lean which would seem to make it difficult for him to handle the mass of fbs caliber tackles earlier.

The key to to the defense is tackle and lb. We have enough players everywhere else to be a moderate defense. Losing mckinney and mcginty will test the lb core big time. Dt has more bodies. We will see if we have more talent.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]