Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We play Auburn the week before they have to travel to Tuscaloosa to play the Crimson Tide. AU could get caught looking ahead.
If they’re as talented next year as they are this year, they could skip watching our film and still beat us by 30. :lol:
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:AU almost lost to Jacksonville State a year or 2 ago.
We have lost to Jacksonville st two years in a row and neither were close
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If my memory is correct, the Jax State game in Lynchburg in 2016 was the start of our defensive problems.

#6, Roc Thomas of JSU was running down the field and no LU player saw him until they watched replay on video board.
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:What I believe is reasonably achievable.

W - 9/1 vs Old Dominion
L - 9/8 @ Army
W - 9/15 vs Norfolk State
W - 9/22 vs North Texas
L - 9/29 @ New Mexico
L - 10/6 @ New Mexico State
L - 10/13 vs Troy
W - 10/20 vs Idaho State
W - 11/3 @ UMass 4-8
L - 11/10 @ UVA 6-6
L - 11/17 @ Auburn 10-3
W - 11/24 vs New Mexico State

I believe in the Bill. I believe that with the increase in quality of opponents, the stadium will get louder than ever before. Look how we showed up for Montana. I believe we will only lose one home game but regretfully, we only pull one win on the road.
Class; your outcome would be my dream ... the missing link is a coach not afraid to be TOUGH on players where required ... and set EXPECTATIONS higher. Good to be a peolple person but push is required ... example: Texas A+M
By CapnMac
If the defense can recalibrate and get some stops next year, I can see us getting 5 wins. If it continues how it was this year, I think we only win 2 or 3. I'm guessing that we will win 4.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As I review schedule, I hope to attend 9 of our 12 games, Only ones I miss will be @Virginia, @ UMASS and @ New Mexico.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Lets get way ahead of ourselves with a very optimistic view of 2019 to gauge possibility of bowl eligibility.

2019 :
L- Aug 31 - Syracuse
W- Sep 07 - @ Louisiana-Lafayette
W - Sep 14 - Buffalo (we are out recruiting them and it is at home)
W - Sep 21 - Hampton
W- Sep 28 - New Mexico
L - Oct 05 - @ New Mexico State (split series, winning at home)
Oct 12 - Open
W - Oct 19 - Maine
L - Oct 26 - @ Rutgers
L - Nov 02 - @ UMass
L - Nov 09 - @ BYU
Nov 16 - Open
L - Nov 23 - @ Virginia
W -Nov 30 - New Mexico State

A very quick review, leaves us bowl eligible with a 6-6 record.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I have the same question. But from a quick Wiki search, it did not mention where your wins come from. I think 6-6 would get us bowl eligible because of the FBS game requirements.
By Jonathan Carone
I think only one FCS game goes towards bowl eligibility. Otherwise you'd see lower G5s scheduling FCS teams all the time.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
So the quick run down would leave us with 5 wins towards bowl eligibility, and likely on the outside looking in.
By Class of 20Something
Why are we FBS beaters when we are FCS but so many of us expect the team to not even beat one FBS team the entirety of next season? We beat BAYLOR in THEIR HOUSE!!! Sure, BU kinda sucked last year, but 4-6 wins has to be the expectation.
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote:Why are we FBS beaters when we are FCS but so many of us expect the team to not even beat one FBS team the entirety of next season? We beat BAYLOR in THEIR HOUSE!!! Sure, BU kinda sucked last year, but 4-6 wins has to be the expectation.
This is a good question. I think the answer is three fold:

1) Most FBS teams we’ve played in the past haven’t run full playbooks against us because we were FCS.

2) Most FBS players probably didn’t take us as seriously as they would another FBS school.

3) The week in week out toll of playing FBS teams will be something we aren’t used to physically.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
4) We circled FBS games before and have had a legit developed game plan. Now they will be every week, and you cant circle every game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If more than 1 FCS win counted towards bowl eligibility , I know some P5 schools that would schedule 3 or 4 a season. UVA would play William and Mary, Richmond and Sweet Briar every year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If more than 1 FCS win counted towards bowl eligibility , I know some P5 schools that would schedule 3 or 4 a season. UVA would play William and Mary, Richmond and Sweet Briar every year.
Your lack of awareness of the real world of sports is sometimes stunning. Every P5 conference has either legislated or made strong recommendations against scheduling more than 1 non FBS opponent. Some don´t want ANY. But ballcoach ¨not like¨UVA, so you think it´s OK to make up stuff about them that is patently false. If any team did what you suggested, they could go undefeated and they would have ZERO chance of being in the FBS playoffs, and obviously that is setting aside the silly Sweet Brier joke and substituting another solid FCS opponent.
Last edited by olldflame on June 8th, 2018, 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Class of 20Something
CBS Sports released win total predictions for everyone except for LU.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... fbs-teams/

09/01 Old Dominion - 5.5

09/08 @ Army - 7.5

09/15 Norfolk State - FCS

09/22 North Texas - 8

09/29 @ New Mexico - 4

10/06 @ New Mexico State - 6

10/13 Troy - 8.5

10/20 Idaho State - FCS

11/03 @ UMass - 5

11/10 @ Virginia - 5

11/17 @ Auburn - 9