Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

In light of thanksgiving and this dead period as we wait for some kind of announcement about Coach Gill. What are your top 5 LU football games you were most thankful for?

In no particular order:

1. 2006, my sophomore year when we upset the top 25 Bucs from Chuck South at the Bill. The first time I had ever rushed the field after a victory.

2. Lunsford's 60 yard kick as time expired vs richmond to send it in to overtime. My wife slept through my ridiculousness! Which was quite impressive, haha!

3. THE BLOCK vs Coastal to punch our ticket to the postseason.

4. Beating JMU in the first round of the playoffs.

5. Beating Baylor this year.
How many FBS schools has LU beaten?
1. Eastern Michigan
2. Ball State
3. App State
4. Georgia State
5. Baylor
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 22nd, 2017, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have a top 5 but my two favorites were

JMU '14 = Not because it was a playoff win, just because I hate JMU and their fans

Stony Brook '12 = Coach was a prix, stated the only way they would lose is if they broke down and didn't make it to the game. Fans were A HOLES the previous year at their place, In my opinion the best game Nick ever played as a Flame.
Coastal Blocked FG was a big one especially shortly after a disaterous collapse at our homecoming game.

Montana was no small feat

Nova --- should have won but our travel was AWESOME!

Entire 2008 season I'll pick Youngstown over Elon

Baylor by a HUGE default
Thanks, Olldflame. I've edited it for accuracy. :typing Now if I only knew the years and the HCs. :dontgetit
Coastal 2005 - without that game, I never transfer to Liberty

St Paul’s 2006 - Rocco’s first game / flying fried chicken game

Gardner-Webb 2007 - first conference championship

JMU 2014 - playoff run set us back a few years in overall program growth but man those two weeks were fun. Plus they paid a lot of money to lose to us.

Baylor 2017 - first win on a truly national stage.
1. Our very first game in 1973
2. Beating Coastal to get in our first playoff game.
3. Our first win against a 1A school EMU.
4. JMU in 2014. Beat a very good team in the playoffs at their place. (Prior to choking on the big one against Villanova the next week).
5.Baylor
Not reflective of their order of magnitude necessarily:

1. VMI 2003. Witnessing us rally from 25 down on the back of Eugene Goodman was a sight to behold. It was also the first time I would be on field for the Spirit of the Mountain Marching Band
2. WVU 2009. The college football world was introduced to Mike Brown
3. Baylor 2017- Biggest win in program history (regardless how the Bears have turned out this season)...showed that we can run with the big boys given the right coaching
4. Coastal 2014- While I would have liked to be a student when we made our first playoff appearance, I proudly wore my red at work that day
5. JMU 2014- Same as #4
Elon 2008 - They were ranked top 15 and It was the first game I sacrificed other fun stuff on Saturdays to support my school team, it felt so good and now I am addicted.

WVU - 2009. Mike Brown had the single best performance I have ever seen from LU player. We scared the Mountaineers (my family).

Coastal 2014 - The most hype thing I have ever witnessed as a fan.

JMU 2014 - Tailgated with my LU roommate that transferred to JMU after sophmore year because Liberty "was not the right place for him". I am from Roanoke so I echo Sigmo's sentiments about JMU.

Baylor 2017 - I was happy for Ian. After reading several accounts, it was sweet revenge for him. Only thing that could have made it better is if Art was still the coach.
I'll avoid this just being my favorite LU victories. But there is such a huge dropoff for this Texan surrounded by BU fans after our season opener this year that I really couldn't even give a legitimate #2-5. Every day that I walk around in LU gear here in Greater Houston I have random Baylor folks come up and make reference to the game even months later. The impact from one game here in the Lone Star State is monumental. Most down here have no clue or care how the rest of our season went down.

Let me back up BJ's sugestion of that VMI shootout. Listening to jerry Edwards stream over my laptop was an out of body experience. Just reflecting when I saw him reference it brought back a flood of memories along with that boot at Youngstown. I am thankful for those memories.
I remember being behind the old visiting locker room with the percussion taking apart our stuff and we heard the first TD, so we were just hoping to make it respectable...and you could feel the momentum shifting in that stadium and the crowd slowly starting to believe that we could come back and win, and then watching students rush the field TWICE...then hearing Jerry Edwards over the video in convo...
rtb72 wrote:Coastal 14' and 15'
JMU 14'
ASU
Baylor
ASU, I assume you are talking about the win in the last year or so. Actually there was a more exciting game back in the old days. Kelvin Edwards scored on a very long touchdown pass late in the game to beat them at ASU. Might have been the first time we beat them. KE went on to play with the Dallas Cowgirls and is in the LU HOF. There was another game played up there I think Antwan Chiles was out QB at the time. We scored late in the game and went for two to win the game. We scored, but got screwed by the refs, they said we didn't get into the end zone. (Before the days of replay). We have had a lot of good/exciting games up in Boone.
flameshaw wrote:
rtb72 wrote:Coastal 14' and 15'
JMU 14'
ASU
Baylor
ASU, I assume you are talking about the win in the last year or so. Actually there was a more exciting game back in the old days. Kelvin Edwards scored on a long touchdown pass late in the game to beat them at ASU. Might have been the first time we beat them. KE went on to play with the Dallas Cowgirls and is in the LU HOF. There was another game played up there I think Antwan Chiles was out QB at the time. We scored late in the game and went for two to win the game. We scored, but got screwed by the refs, they said we didn't get into the end zone. (Before the days of replay). We have had a lot of good/exciting games up in Boone.
Appalachian State game. Lunsford hit a 62 yd. FG to win (I think it was 62...i know it was on SportsCenter)
App state was a hagen INT in double OT. You might be thinking georgia state. Lunsford hit 57 yarder or so with about 1 45 left in the game to give us a 10 point lead and ultimate win in the georgia dome.

Baylor

Coastal

Jmu

Ball state

App state/ga state.
my fault...i got my lunsford stats wrong, but it was the App State game (2014). a buddy of mine was ragging me prior to the game since he is app state alum. On and on and on about Michigan and App state success....nevertheless i like that game b/c i still get a rise out of him when i bring it up.
Can’t decide the final order, but here’s the 5:

VMI at home in ‘03. That was my first year on campus & the first game I took my dad to.

Coastal in ‘14. Took me a full 24 hours to get my voice back (& that made it hard to do my job. Worth it).

Beating JMU in the playoffs.

Beating App State in Boone.

Baylor. We live 5 mins from Williams Stadium & there was no way I was gonna fall asleep easy that night. I ended up going over to campus a little after 1:00 to see if the students really had torn down the goalposts, & ended up sitting in the stands watching the celebration until they called it around 4:00am.

Maybe I’ll get to add another to the list sometime this year (one can hope anyway).
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]