Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
Jr is at Mar-a-lago today. That would explain why nothing was done today. If it continues past tomorrow, my expectations of it happening drop significantly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jr is at Mar-a-lago today. That would explain why nothing was done today. If it continues past tomorrow, my expectations of it happening drop significantly.
Where’s Ian?
By rtb72
Maybe I'm ole fashion or just ole Liberty....but I really didn't expect them to do anything to him on a Sunday. I agree that if we hear nothing in the two/three few days...I expect we have TG for another year at least.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jr is at Mar-a-lago today. That would explain why nothing was done today. If it continues past tomorrow, my expectations of it happening drop significantly.
Where’s Ian?
Was at Vines for the basketball game.
By LUOrange
We all went to Liberty and/or may have worked there. Meetings, schedules, and timetables have no bearings on the decision to hire or fire on a high profile position such as head football coach. That said, if they fire him, I think it'll officially occur after Thanksgiving. But I have a feeling he already knows or it's been done just not officially.
Last edited by LUOrange on November 19th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Had to read your post twice. I know I am antsy this morning, but it sounded like you were saying Gill has been fired already.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR was at Homestead for the weekend races including the Xfinity Series Championship. It makes sense for him to still be in Florida as a result.

If a decision has been made to make a change, holding off on the announcement has no impact whatsoever on the search for the next candidate. Ian can proceed as he wishes and I suspect that has been underway for some time.

If a decision has been made to maintain the status quo for another year, everything we are seeing right now makes sense. JLFJR would be the one making the statement on another year and not Ian based on the styles of both administrators.

We are not UCLA or Tennessee. The way we handle this reflects on the reputation of the school probably more than any other college in the nation. But the waiting is never pleasant for any party.
By Jonathan Carone
Sly Fox wrote:If a decision has been made to make a change, holding off on the announcement has no impact whatsoever on the search for the next candidate. Ian can proceed as he wishes and I suspect that has been underway for some time.
This is the rumor - and I stress rumor - currently. They’re trying to work out details with a new coach before making anything public. It’s the route Jerry took when hiring Ian.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:If a decision has been made to make a change, holding off on the announcement has no impact whatsoever on the search for the next candidate. Ian can proceed as he wishes and I suspect that has been underway for some time.
This is the rumor - and I stress rumor - currently. They’re trying to work out details with a new coach before making anything public. It’s the route Jerry took when hiring Ian.
I suppose there have been exceptions over the years, but I believe it is SOP pretty much everywhere to work out the important details before announcing a change. Seems to me to do otherwise is pretty much asking for trouble.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I suppose there have been exceptions over the years, but I believe it is SOP pretty much everywhere to work out the important details before announcing a change. Seems to me to do otherwise is pretty much asking for trouble.
Can’t remeber it being done too often at LU
By Jonathan Carone
It's pretty standard at higher levels where there's more money going around. You don't want to pay a guy to not work when you can't get the people you want to replace them when you're paying as much as we are.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It's pretty standard at higher levels where there's more money going around. You don't want to pay a guy to not work when you can't get the people you want to replace them when you're paying as much as we are.
Totally agree but I was just pointing out LU hasn’t historically done that

It has bitten a couple of others schools in the patooty though when they THOUGHT they had their guy but didn’t. Cause you can’t really sign the guy until you fire the other guy
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Trying to remember the timeline from 2011 ... Gill was hired eight days after the Rocco to Richmond news broke, looking back at the dates of my stories.

After Layer, it was about a month before McKay came back, but there were some complications, namely Virginia still playing in the NCAA tournament.
By Jonathan Carone
If - again, I'm saying if. Please don't do the Liberty thing and think this is a factual statement - we went with someone like Streeter, I could see us making the move this week and then hiring him the week after the ACC Championship game.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
I have a strong feeling he will be here a minimum of one more year. IF he stays and wins 4 or more games I can see him getting a 4 years extension with a small buy out clause that diminishes each year of the contract.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let me remind everyone that there remains the very real possibility that Gill remains the coach for the 2018 season. If that were the case, everything you have seen or not seen thus far fits with that outcome. 2018 is likely to be a rough go for whoever is at the reins as we make the transition whether that is Coach Gill or anyone else.

I recognize the valid speculation around Streeter based on the flight and the history, but even if we are making a change there is little reason to believe that he is atop our AD's wish list. Ian brings an entirely new set of connections to the table that we haven't discussed previously.

I'd rather wait out the decision on Gill before beginning wild speculation as to his successor. But suffice it to say there are plenty of names that make a great deal of sense that are not being posted on this board ... some inside the box and others way outside. When it is prudent, I'll start dropping some names. And you also have to recognize that there will be some very talented folks available this time next week that are finishing up their seasons in the next few days. They may also be attractive options for us in particular.
By Jonathan Carone
The majority of the fan base has moved on from Gill whether he remains the coach or not. The speculation will continue as long as he’s the coach.
By BigRed1
Jonathan Carone wrote:The majority of the fan base has moved on from Gill whether he remains the coach or not. The speculation will continue as long as he’s the coach.
Totally agree. Is is worth keeping him around regardless of how challenging next year will be, as the fan base continues to become less supportive of him. What about the requirements for attendance? Will the displeasure of the fans affect this?
By LU Alum 2016
At this point I have zero faith in this administration. There has been a complete lack of preparation from Gill and his coaching staff. I was fully expecting some type of announcment on Gill today. Clearly that did not happen. I love Gill as a man and how he represents the School but it seems we will be stuck with him until he truly does produce consistent losing seasons at the next level. Even then they will choose to be patient through the transition. Any coach Gill or not Gill will have to build something and mold a slightly different team to play at the FBS level. Yes Gill’s general play style is already fabricated into this team. But it is ignorant to think that Gill would not make some changes. We have a roster that can compete at a G5 level. Either way there will be some change the sooner we get a coach that can prepare and develop talent the better. Until then there will continue to be no faith in Gill or this administration. I’ll continue to support the team but i will also continue to speak my displeasure for Gill.
By CapnMac
Jonathan Carone wrote:The majority of the fan base has moved on from Gill whether he remains the coach or not. The speculation will continue as long as he’s the coach.
This ^^

As a recent graduate and employee, most of the LU students/fans that I have personally spoken with have moved on and are looking for us to get a new head coach
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]